PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new backyard smoker

Spicy-Meat
02-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I need some help. I'm looking for a smoker that is strictly designed for wood. I have a cookshack, UDS and Chargriller. I am looking at a Lang 36" backyard smoker right now. What other types of wood smoker brands are good for back yard barbecues? I don't do comps or parties. I just smoke for friends and family. Any suggestions?

gtr
02-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Depends on your budget. The thing with stickburners (my preferred type of cooker btw) is that for them to perform well, they need to be made out of thick steel (at least 1/4"), which isn't cheap.

Some great offset pitmakers are Klose, Jambo and Lang. I've also heard good things about Meadowcreek (made in yer state), Pitmaker, and The Good One.

You'd most likely be very happy with any of these. One thing to keep in mind is the cost of shipping - the prices are shocking - like several hundred dollars. One option, if $$ is a major consideration, is picking a used one up off CL.

snyper77
02-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Look no further. LANG! Maximum bang for your buck. Love mine.....as does all Lang owners. I'd advise you to consider going to the 48. I'm afraid the 36 may get cramped for space. Don't forget room for the taters, carrots, beans, corn, etc. No sense in firing up 2 grills when the right size Lang will do the chore. ;)

orangeblood
02-27-2012, 08:28 AM
klose baby, klose...

bam
02-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Meadow Creek they build them in New Holland Pa.

BBQ Bandit
02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
As others have mentioned, there are several quality fabricators having the small patio versions; Meadowcreek, Jambo, Lang, and Klose.
Regardless who makes your choice... the common denominator is buy the thickest steel possible.
The cost of shipping will be a major factor to consider - 500-1,000 dollars for a heavy metal pit pending on size and distance.

Buying a quality used pit and picking it up yourself will save a significant amount.

Then there is another option: The Brethren relay.
Several Brethren may synchronize and hand-off a smoker that's between buyer and seller's distances.

I don't do comps or parties.

There was a time I did share that same thought. However, don't always rule out future possibilities or expansions.
As you learn to master your pit... you will most likely get the side-effect and requests from your neighbors.
My first heavy metal pit was a used Lang 48. Ran out of space. Bought a Lang 60... and ran out of space.
Now running a Lang 84 Deluxe Kitchen... creating a side business.

Myself; a member of the Lang Gang... who cooks on a Klose BYC.

smokinit
02-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Meadow Creek they build them in New Holland Pa.

If you like the stick burner I second meadowcreek local pick up and a great cooker!!

Big George's BBQ
02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I second the meadow creek I have the 120 and I am thinking about selling it in the near future I believe they are having an open house in April Check out their web site

mking7
02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Depends on your budget. The thing with stickburners (my preferred type of cooker btw) is that for them to perform well, they need to be made out of thick steel (at least 1/4"), which isn't cheap.

I've got to respectfully disagree with this. That has been and probably always will be the prevailing wisdom and it sounds good if you're selling pits made of 1/4" or better to differentiate yourself (and justify your price) as compared to a New Braunfels or similar pit.

Neither of my Jambo's is made of 1/4" steel and they perform quite well. I think design is important here. And of the things I value in a pit now (as opposed to years ago when I started on tiny, thin pit), the most valuable is a large insulated firebox. My pits hold rock steady temps and recover quickly when opened. My last trailer pit before the Jambo was 3/8" steel and didn't perform as well as my Jambo and in the rain it's not even a contest.

Wow, I didn't mean to rant but did want to share that 1/4" steel shouldn't be the litmus test for whether a pit is worth considering or not.

BigBobBQ
02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
mking you are somewhat correct Jamie uses 7ga steel with 1/4 doors the 7ga is just a touch smaller than 1/4 inch but the steel that he uses is also not the same as regular 1/4 steel he uses carbon steel which is treated and annealed to raise the thermal properties and strength too keep from loosing heat, without the carbon steel he would have to use 1/4 regular steel to get the same thermal effect. I would love a Jambo but they are way out of my price range so a 1/4 steel does the job for me.

LoneStar Smoke Rangers
02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
I would look at Yoder!!

http://www.yodersmokers.com/stockton.html

http://www.yodersmokers.com/durango.html

LoneStar Smoke Rangers
02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
klose baby, klose...

Klose is a good choice as well!

mking7
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
mking you are somewhat correct Jamie uses 7ga steel with 1/4 doors the 7ga is just a touch smaller than 1/4 inch but the steel that he uses is also not the same as regular 1/4 steel he uses carbon steel which is treated and annealed to raise the thermal properties and strength too keep from loosing heat, without the carbon steel he would have to use 1/4 regular steel to get the same thermal effect. I would love a Jambo but they are way out of my price range so a 1/4 steel does the job for me.

I'm no metallurgist so I can't speak to how the annealing process may affect thermal properties but I do have google. :)

7ga is .1793" which makes it a 'touch smaller' than 3/16" steel. I'm not sure if you've seen backyard Jambo up close but my backyard is not as thick as my J3. I don't know how thick but not as thick. Again, it's thick enough and that's my only point. 1/4" as a litmus test is just not something I'd endorse, that's all I was saying.

glh17
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I've been thinking about the 36" Lang also, but won't do anything until this summer. My WSM 18.5" is adequate for now, but I need a bit more capacity on down the line. Let us know how it works out for you if you go with the Lang.

Chef Jim
02-28-2012, 04:32 PM
I've seen the Lang on display at comps. They look rock solid. If I were going for a stick burner Lang would be high on my list.

Garyt
03-04-2012, 12:58 AM
I have had a Lang 48 for going on 3 years and love it. I have pretty much retired my gasser and only use my New Braunfels for over flow. But yeah shipping to Wisconsin was $600. I would buy it again in a minute, it is built like a tank and is easy to use and clean.

NRA4Life
03-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Whatever brand you settle on, get the largest pit you can afford. Don't get the size that suits you now, because you will need a larger one in the future. You can always put less meat in a larger pit.

nmayeux
03-04-2012, 09:12 AM
I always push for reverse flow in smaller stick burners, as you minimize the hot spot while maximizing cooking area. Space is at a premium in smaller cookers. Also, as said before, buy the biggest you can afford.