PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to test a new rub?

bbqwilly
02-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Is chicken the best thing to test out a new rub on? I dont know why but im obsessed with creating my own rub for butts and ribs. What do you guys use?

smokeyokie
02-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I always just taste it out of the package... if it doesnt taste good then it probably wont later:-D now that being said, I use commercially available rubs and I make my own, it all depends on what it goes on? you wouldnt want to use something with say... sage in it on beef:tsk: so experiment, I alot of times combine different rubs and add things to my taste preference.. as far as commercially available there are a ton of folks on here that make and sell their rubs all of which(I havent tried them all...yet! are great! Good Luck!:thumb:

ssbbqguy
02-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Bologna or hot dogs. I know how each taste which makes it easier to key in on basic flavors. After passing that test on to what it was intended for, and test again. A very well known spice seller once told me add a teaspoon of rub to a half glass of water, mix then taste. It will make it quicker to identify what stands out. Bottom line it is only one component to flavor success, needing the other components to mesh happily. Steve.

Skidder
02-26-2012, 04:35 PM
rib tips I freeze just for that reason. I'm way past testing though after all these years

Chef Jim
02-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I would try it on the food I was going to use it on.

WvSmoke
02-26-2012, 05:35 PM
^^^ What he said^^^ Test it on the food it's intended for. If I make a new rub for ribs, I'm not going to test it on chicken, or vice versa.

Lake Dogs
02-26-2012, 05:54 PM
When trying a new rub I always use it on a full butt, cooked next to my old/previous winner. That way we're trying them side-by-side to see which is really best. On the meat we'll be using it on.

Cliff H.
02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
This may sound silly and for the record, I got the idea from a BBQ forum, when I test a new rub I put some American cheese on a cracker, put some rub on top and nuke it till the cheese melts a bit.

It gives a hint of what to expect.

cliffcarter
02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
i would try it on the food i was going to use it on.

^^^ what he said^^^ test it on the food it's intended for. If i make a new rub for ribs, i'm not going to test it on chicken, or vice versa.

^^^ +3

bbqwilly
02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the feed back. I went ahead and put it on some St Louis style spares I had in the freezer. We will be smoking tomorrow.

JD McGee
02-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I would use a bunch of BBQ Brethren...:-P

dadsr4
02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Country ribs are cheep and you can try several rubs at a time.

vader06
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
I make my own rub and I just try it anything I am grilling or smoking.