PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Duck

Sway
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Been asked to smoke wild duck. The duck has been cut up and deboned. After searching on here it seems to be a little tricky/hard to not have it dry out fast. I didn't see anything about one being cut up and deboned, so any help to not kill an already dead duck would be great.

Thank you.

razrbakcrzy
02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Cut into small pieces, add pieces of fresh jalopeno, wrap in bacon, best stuff you ever ate... be easy with how long you smoke it, its better grilled with a little smoke add a few chunks to the gasser and baste it with butter and garlic...MMMMMmmmm.

You can also smoke it and add to a brown gravy and serve over wild rice or potatos

Sway
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I was thinking start it on the smoker then grill it? How small should it cut them pieces? Also do I remove the fat if I do it that way?

razrbakcrzy
02-23-2012, 03:56 PM
is it a wild duck? I would say about 1"x1/2" or as wide as your bacon strips and the fat will melt away pretty fast. If its a wild duck there won't be much there any way?

Dont cook it dry! if you smoke first, Id say about 30-1 hour on smoke, then finish hot and fast on the grill to crisp the bacon...

I would usually pull the skin off the breast if I was doing the jalopeno, bacon wrapped duck...

Rick T
02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
The only slow cooked duck and not that slow (1.5 hours tops) Is duck in red wine sauce. This is my favorite for the ducks I harvest.

Grilling duck with wood coal is good but it should be fast and cooked no more than Med. rare. IMO.

I can't imagine a smoked duck like a chicken would come out like a piece of shoe leather or over cooked liver.

jestridge
02-23-2012, 06:17 PM
If it a tame duck it should be plenty moist

sandiegobbq
02-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Cook it medium heat to render the fat dont rush it.

You can do this in a pan or on the grill.

Dont over cook the meat.

Here is Anthony Bourdain cooking a wild duck.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2011/04/video-anthony-bourdain-gets-hunters-and-shows-them-how-cook-mean-duck

NBBD
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
The only slow cooked duck and not that slow (1.5 hours tops) Is duck in red wine sauce. This is my favorite for the ducks I harvest.

Grilling duck with wood coal is good but it should be fast and cooked no more than Med. rare. IMO.

I can't imagine a smoked duck like a chicken would come out like a piece of shoe leather or over cooked liver.

salt and pepper on a hot grill till Med. Rare best breakfasts after duck hunting... Especially if they are woodies... the acorn flavor is intense!

sandiegobbq
02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
The previous link didn't work.

This one works.

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/preparing-duck-in-the-ozarks-11715

martyleach
02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Also kinda depends on the kind of duck. Divers (fish eaters) IMO don't taste that great and need braising or additional flavor. Grain eaters are the best and are awesome roasted whole or breasted out. Duck fat is awesome but you have to give it enough time to render. Too hot and you will have a huge fire.
If you are going to grill the breasts, go no more than med rare. It is some great meat.

Big slick
02-24-2012, 06:55 AM
I've never been a fan of wild duck. It just tastes kind of like what pond water smells like. If I were to cook it though, I'd incorporate a fat of some sort. Most likely I would wrap it in bacon.