PDA

View Full Version : Flats or Whole?

Utah Jake
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I know a well trimmed whole brisket is king at the contests but this weekend I injected, rubbed, cooked an eight pound flat with a full fat cap. It really turned out great, in fact, better than most the comp briskets I've done. So has anyone switched over to just flats and been successful?

BC Squared
02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I would be willing to try it, but I've never seen a flat with a full cap around my area. Seems they always trim the heck out of them.

Warthog
02-21-2012, 01:49 PM
I enjoy the meat from the point more then from the flat.

Jaskew82
02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I would be willing to try it, but I've never seen a flat with a full cap around my area. Seems they always trim the heck out of them.

Same here... They also trim them down to muscle - no fat at all on the flats around here.

Smoke'n Ice
02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Sam's flats are properly trimmed and choice. The full are select. Most stores offer only select in the brisket. You have to go to a speciality store and ask them to order choice or prime fulls or flats. They can get them in but don't carry as a rule of thumb.

Get to know the meat guy at your Sam's and he will let you select from the box. This way you know the kill date for aging and a flat cooks great for contest. Usually, there is a bit of the point still there and it makes good burnt ends.

INmitch
02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Last year the 1st place briskie at Sams Bentonville was a flat. I seperate them at home before I go. The point makes great burgers.

Ford
02-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Whole. Need the point for burnt ends and a good moist tender one rocks with judges down here. I end up wit a lot more good juice in the pan. Fat is flavor if done right.

manbearpig
02-21-2012, 03:56 PM
I must admit that a flat saved me once at a comp. My whole packer just didn't turn out right. For some reason I cooked that flat up and with a little manipulation I was able to get some pretty good slices out of her. I didn't get first place but I think we did get a call.

jbrink01
02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
GC'd on a flat several years ago and won brisket on a CAB flat 3 years ago, but I generally cook packers.

Is It Ready Yet?
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Have cooked both with some success. I cook a flat at little different than a packer.

Fat Woody
02-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Our Costco usually stocks choice flats but seldom packers, although they have been stocking a few lately. You could always buy packers and separate the point/flat at home to get a nice fat flat. I know a couple of successful teams that do this and cook the pieces separately; it will give you a killer smoke ring all the way around the flat and you get nice burnt ends from the point. We usually cook a packer and a flat and go with the best of the two.

HarleyEarl
02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
After shopping today for this weekend's contest, I will be going with whole packers. I bought one whole packer (Angus) and one flat (choice) - after I checked out and saw the price per pound of the flat, I was floored (I saw the price of the whole packer and picked up my usual flat - OMG, what a difference). I'll pay the lower price and trim it myself and have twice as many burnt ends to work with.