PDA

View Full Version : First cook in the BWS Party

Ron_L
02-21-2012, 07:02 AM
I had a chance to fire up the new Party yesterday afternoon. I gave the inside a nice coating of oil and set it up to season.

I filled the fire box with Royal Oak 100 Ultra briquettes that were given out at a competition last year and added some chunks of cherry wood.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/5dbeebb8.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/8dff7a19.jpg

I lit a starter cube in the front right corner and let that burn with the door open and both vents open.

Since my plan was to cook some chicken at 300 degrees I decided to use crinkled sheets of foil in the water pan after reading about it in a post from Old Dave on the BWS Forum...

http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/forums.htm/viewtopic.php?t=528

I put 6 sheets of crinkled HD foil in the water pan and then put three layers of HD foil on top of that to catch the drippings.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/6acbc14e.jpg

It took about 45 minutes to get up to temp. I had a false start where the temp got to about 150 and stopped climbing. I noticed that the wind had kicked up and was blowing across the vent on the right side to I turned the cooker 90 degrees and the temp started climbing again. I think the wind cutting across the vent was starving the fire, but that's just a guess.

It steeled in at about 300 so I let it burn for a while since I had meetings to attend anyway. When I came back down the wind had changed again and was pretty much blowing straight into the right side vent, which was open about 1/2 inch and the temp had climbed to 350. Not really a big deal since the cooker was empty at this point, but good to know. I adjusted the vent and the exhaust a little bit and by the time I was ready to put food in it was closer to 300.

I bought a two pack of chickens at Sam's Club, and of course one was bigger than the other :rolleyes:. I spatchcocked them and gave them a rubdown with Yardbird and put them into the Party.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/c2ee1ecf.jpg

Sorry about the crappy picture. It was almost dark and I used my iPhone.

The smaller chicken (on top in the picture) was done after about 1 hour and 20 minutes and had a great color.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/72222e57.jpg

The bigger chicken was a little on the light side so I moved it to the top rack position and let it cook for a while. It was done at about 1 hour and 40 minutes and also had great color.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/9f291082.jpg

I didn't take any plated pics since we just made Pasta Roni and frozen broccoli to go with the chicken :oops: but I did use the backbones of the chicken to make some stock and I turned into a nice gravy. The chicken was very good and nice and moist. The smoke flavor was light, similar to my FEC-100, but at 300-ish the fire was burning cleanly so that didn't surprise me. I also went easy on the chunks for the first time.

BigBlock
02-21-2012, 07:05 AM
looks pretty good to me

BBQ4FUN
02-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Looks good from here Ron. I will be receiving my BW Competitor today!!

bbqchicken
02-21-2012, 07:17 AM
chicken mmmmmm

Hey I have never seen that royal oak version. Is it like Kingsford comp? Lump charcoal in a briquette?

Ron_L
02-21-2012, 07:20 AM
chicken mmmmmm

Hey I have never seen that royal oak version. Is it like Kingsford comp? Lump charcoal in a briquette?

It was part of the goodie basket at the Murphysboro, IL competition. I've never seen it in the stores around here, either. he bag says 100% hardwood, so it sounds like the Kingsford Competition Briquettes. It seemed to burn nicely without too much ash and had a nice aroma.

big brother smoke
02-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the update, Ron. The charcoal looks like Royal Oak restaurant blend that you can get from DoItBest Hardware (on-line). It is great stuff in my opinion.

Big George's BBQ
02-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Very nice Ron What made you decide to go with a BWS What options did you get. How about a Pic of your new toy

Garyclaw
02-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks Ron.

I'd like to get a BW when I grow up.:-D

bluetang
02-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Very nice, party on!

Ron_L
02-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Very nice Ron What made you decide to go with a BWS What options did you get. How about a Pic of your new toy

Pictures are here, George...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126044

The decision came down to three factors, George...

Size (weight), burn time and quality.

Size and weight were tied together, really. I wanted something big enough to do a couple of butts and a couple of briskets, but it had to be easy for Parsley Lady and me to move around. I also wanted something that I could throw into the back of the truck if I wanted to go to any local, smaller cookoffs. That ruled out a few choices mainly because of the weight. I also didn't need anything too big because I am keeping the FEC-100

I also wanted something that would be able to burn for a few hours. I've tended a stick burner over night and while I enjoyed it I appreciate sleep more :-D that led me to the insulated vertical design.

Finally I wanted something that would last a long time and be able to withstand moving in and out of a trailer, etc. Most of the major manufacturers meet this criteria, so the other stuff above became more important for me.

billm
02-21-2012, 08:39 AM
looks great Ron...didnt know you got a Party
all you need to do is add some expanded metal walls to the charcoal tray for even longer burns!

R2Egg2Q
02-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Looks good Ron & nice cooker too!

TTNuge
02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
all you need to do is add some expanded metal walls to the charcoal tray for even longer burns!

Can you expand on that? Do you mean use expanded metal to make the walls taller or are you talking about some sort of divider?

Big George's BBQ
02-21-2012, 09:46 AM
That is a beaut. My next question was going to be what options you got but I can see that from the Pic I am hoping to get an Expanded Party in the next few months

Ron_L
02-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Can you expand on that? Do you mean use expanded metal to make the walls taller or are you talking about some sort of divider?

Expand on expanded metal? :laugh:

I'm pretty sure that is what Bill meant. I've seen pictures of Backwoods fireboxes with expanded metal walls to make filling it easier. I'll probably do that if I can track down some expanded metal around here.

New Pal Frank
02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice looking smoker and yummy looking yard birds.

billm
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
make the walls taller..in other words make the charcoal pan basically a charcoal basket

cowgirl
02-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Great looking chicken Ron!! Nice color!

tnjimbob
02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Chicken looks great Ron! Hope to have a BWS someday, but I may have to sell a kidney to get one. :biggrin1:

smokinit
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Chicken looks great Ron! Hope to have a BWS someday, but I may have to sell a kidney to get one. :biggrin1:

I only Charge half a kidney:mrgreen:

smokinit
02-21-2012, 11:45 AM

I'm pretty sure that is what Bill meant. I've seen pictures of Backwoods fireboxes with expanded metal walls to make filling it easier. I'll probably do that if I can track down some expanded metal around here.

With the standard fire box adding the expanded steel around it will add a few inches to the top thus increasing the capacity. There is a upgraded fire box for it that does the same thing and is much heavier duty. Its basically like the ones that come satndard on the larger models.

HB-BBQ
02-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Looks good Ron.

Here are the mods I did to my party basket a few years ago and it definitely helped with longer cooks. I already sent this to Ron but figured i'd cross post it so someone else can benefit from it down the line.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1955233#post1955233

---k---
02-21-2012, 04:14 PM

Ron, here is the place in Villa Park that I've purchased from twice. It isn't something they stock a lot of, so call ahead.

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/msc-storefinder.aspx?map=US

kennedyma
02-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Ron if your looking for steel. Check out Horne Steel in Geneva they will have what your looking for.

LoneStarMojo
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Really nice cooker and chickens Ron. maybe one day "abangs" will put another one up here and I'll win me one!

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
02-21-2012, 09:56 PM

Gave my aforementioned kidney to Kevin for my new upgraded PARTY ... LOVIN it. I have been wearing 'eau de SMOKE' since October.

People think I'm a dog- whisperer because every time I walk past a dog they begin to whimper!:caked:

martyleach
02-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Very nice Ron! Glad to see you got that bad boy dirty. Good lookin' yardbirds.

tnjimbob
02-22-2012, 12:30 PM

LOL! I'd give up half a kidney for an extended Party or a Competitor, but I think you are too far away to drive to pick one up, and shipping would be a nightmare. Still, I want a BWS. Just savin' my pennies for now.

Bigdog
02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
As if you needed yet another smoker. :razz::rolleyes::heh:

Ron_L
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
As if you needed yet another smoker. :razz::rolleyes::heh:

Thanks for recognizing my need :-P

deguerre
02-22-2012, 03:27 PM
That's a beaut! Stupid question time. So it's fueled by charcoal (Lump or briquette) and chunks only? Would Mojo Bricks work in it?

Ron_L
02-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Mojo bricks for flavor work fine, but charcoal for the actual fuel.

Big George's BBQ
02-22-2012, 03:41 PM
What are and how good are mojo bricks Will it be as good as a chunk of wood like apple or pecan

Ron_L
02-22-2012, 04:36 PM
http://www.mojobricks.com/

I know i am simplifying things, but Mojobricks are basically giant pellets :-D It's sawdust and wood shavings compressed into a brick shape.

Big George's BBQ
02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Will they give the same smoke flavor as a wood chunk and I like simplified

Ron_L
02-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Several guys on here have been using them and love them. I haven't tried them yet, but it all wood, so I would think it would be the same flavor.

grossepellets
02-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Will they give the same smoke flavor as a wood chunk and I like simplified

not to hijack this thread - here - is the surmize of a mojobricks wood for fuel or smoke flavor - mojobricks produce a consistent smoke flavor, clean fresh smoke - every time. Always the same burn with species available being Hickory, Maple, Red Oak and Cherry.

The wood is compressed without a binder - so it is all species specific 100% natural - like a giant wood pellet but different. The main difference is the moisture content - as the mojobricks are going to be drier and you will have the choice of various sizes of bricks. Each smoker - each pit master will have a preference as to the size of the brick or to how much or how many to add. It can be used as both fuel and flavor or just for flavor.

The closest Mojobrick to pecan is either hickory (available now) or a new Almond which is in the works and not available to the public yet but should be out soon.

Hey RON - we barter - I'd trade for coffee!

Coz
02-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Ron ,I built a couple baskets for the charcoal for I think Freeman brothers and Matt Lahm .You may want to check with them and see what their burn times and if you may want to build yourself one. I used Matts Party once and thought it was a nice cooker.I was thinkin of buyin a used Party or a used Chubby if I could find one some what close.

Ron_L
02-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Coz... I'll do that. How does a guy with limit skill with tools cut expanded metal?

cpw
02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Coz... I'll do that. How does a guy with limit skill with tools cut expanded metal?

Whenever I cut expanded metal I used a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade. Does the job very quickly.

Coz
02-26-2012, 05:21 PM
I thought maybe ya had some kind a fancy attatchment for the coffee grinder ? If you figure some sizes let me know maybe I can help you out I have some scrap here.

LoneStarMojo
02-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I just use a hand grinder with a disk. After I cut it I use the same wheel to round the rough edges down. It's pretty quick as well.