PDA

View Full Version : Sausage source.com seasoning kit?

jsperk
02-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Today I ordered the pepperoni snack stick kit and the hot dog kit. Any input on which cuts of beef I should use for these. I want to do all beef hot dogs. My buddy has a bunch venison also? He wants to do some pepperoni. Should we mix some fat in with his venison?
First try for hot dogs.
Thanks

Pyle's BBQ
02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Did you get the $16 kit? If so it looks like they give you instruction on how much meat you will need.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
02-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Not sure on the hot dogs. Just did some snack sticks and summer sausage with venison. We used everything...ground up virtually everything but the back straps and tenderloins. You WILL need to get some beef fat from your local meat market or grocery store..its cheap. Your kit should give you a venison/fat ratio.

jsperk
02-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Did you get the $16 kit? If so it looks like they give you instruction on how much meat you will need.
I just got the trail kit for the hot dogs. Then if I like them I will buy the bigger kit. I was thinking of grinding a whole flat iron for the hot dogs. I get the whole big piece for $3.80 a pound at rest depot.

Pyle's BBQ
02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
I think you would need to add some fat. the flat iron steak does not have much fat.

rawtalent
02-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Yeah, you will need fat for the venison sausage. If not using pork I usually use brisket point. It also will work well for the hot dogs. You could trim out some fat from the point and mix it 80% deer/20%cow. Then use the rest for the hot dogs.