PDA

View Full Version : Why are primo grills/bge's better in cold weather?

Trumpstylz
02-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Currently considering a wsm or a kamado.

I'm looking at the primos (guy selling one locally listed at 400 for oval jr w table and would probly still bargain) and I remember reading that kamados are better for smoking in colder weather. Why is this?

In addition- cold smoking- is one (kamado vs wsm) better suited for this?

Also- I read that the kamados can require a lot of extra options in order to smoke well- fans and such- is this true or phuey?

Currently considering a wsm or a kamado.

BBQJack
02-17-2012, 05:41 AM
This has been covered a zillion times but......

Ceramic cookers have 1" thick ceramic vs 1/8" thick steel of WSM. Better insulator - they use ceramic for insulators - coffee cups, plates, etc etc.

you can smoke with a kamado out of the box with no fans or gizmos.

kamado can grill as well as smoke - this is the advantage over the WSM.

hope this helps.

Trumpstylz
02-17-2012, 06:08 AM
And "cold smoking?" (Sorry, I know little about this as I've never cold smoked anything)

millsy
02-17-2012, 06:16 AM
I find the fire draws better with the cold air also.i also like that the egg cools down faster after so i can get the cover on it and put away sooner.

BBQ Bandit
02-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Very efficient on the fuel - one small load lasts 18-24 hours.
Insulated - better heat retention.
Can cook direct or indirect heat.
Low and slow or hot and fast.
However... heavy and fragile... being ceramic.

The Bubba Keg/Big Steel Keg are a steel insulated version - cheaper clone that is just as good... fuel-wise.
I have one... lighter and more durable.
Has a bumper hitch adapter available... transportable without a trailer.

Note - using electronics/fans/controllers are not required to operate... just a usable option.

Bonewagon
02-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Also the insulation keeps the wind from affecting the temps. When I smoke with my wsm the wind will really mess with the temps if it's too brisk.

No fans or other gadgets necessary, but if you want to smoke you'll need a heat deflector, but this can be as simple as a cheap pizza stone or terra cotta pot. There are many other accessories available that may make certain things easier, but you really don't need them. One of the benefits of the kamado type cooker is that once you learn to control the fire, they're pretty consistent temp wise.

Elrik
02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
I believe you got mixed up with cold-smoking information. The ceramics are a better option for smoking foods when the outside weather is cold. Neither a wsm or ceramic is really good for true cold smoking. With an adapter like the AMAZEQ either would work for cold smoking to some degree.

Gore
02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
And "cold smoking?" (Sorry, I know little about this as I've never cold smoked anything)

I use my cheap offset to coldsmoke. I do warm-smoke in my Primo with temps between 150* and 175*. I could coldsmoke, but I'd have to put the meat on ice and I'm too lazy for that. We got the Primo solely for the cold weather and it is the best purchase I've made, no regrets. At 20* outside, I can go 20+ hours cooking with t single load of charcoal.

nmayeux
02-17-2012, 11:34 AM
These are two completely different beasts. The kamado style has great flexibility in temperature range, heat retention, and good looks. However, these smokers are not easily portable (BSK is better) and are very expensive. The WSM is a great smoker that is easily portable, and probably the best smoker under $300 on the market.

I have friends all over the country who cook on both types, and I don't see them limited by temperature outside of the comfort level. The issue that comes up in regards to these smokers most often is the question of space. Because of this, we have the Primo Oval, 22" WSM, and XL BGE. You just have to look at which smoker will best meet your needs.

nmayeux
02-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Don't forget you have www.virtualweberbullet.com (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com) as an added bonus!

Ron_L
02-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Don't forget you have www.virtualweberbullet.com (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com) as an added bonus!

And you have the collected wisdom of the BBQ Brethren! :-D

BC Squared
02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't trade my WSMs for anything....except maybe a FEC 100 !!