PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a ceramic smoker

MoyMch
02-15-2012, 03:52 PM
I was just wondering when the time comes how do you clean a ceramic smoker? I have a BGE and when the weather turns nice I plan to give it a good cleaning. I'm guessing I don't use any chemicals, maybe just my pressure washer? Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Midnight Smoke
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
First I use rolled up ball of Aluminum foil and rub the interior down well. I would then just build a nice hot fire and it works like a self cleaning oven. Leave the Plate Setter in for awhile turning it over once then remove. The exterior I just use Windex.

LMAJ
02-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Fire it up and let it rock.
Scrape any residue off with some wadded up foil.
After everything cools down get the shop back out and get all the ash out.
Wet cloth on the outside.

aquablue22
02-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I just fire my up and let it rip for an hour or so and then shut it down and let it cool down and then remove everything and vacuum out the bottom

Booking It
02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
When I've done a clean burn, I load it with lump to the top of the fire ring (not just the fire box, but the ring). I light it and get a fire going. I leave the bottom vent open and I leave the daisy wheel off. About 45 minutes later, I have a fire of 1000 degrees blasting and the inside parts (lid, fire ring, fire box) are whiter than fine china.

If you do something like this, DON'T attempt to open the lid. Obviously, you wouldn't want to be near 1000 degrees of pure heat, but I've noticed that the bands get loose under all that heat (they do tighten back up when it cools down).

The minus is that you will use a TON of lump, but it's nice to do when your Egg is covered in mold after not using it for two months :mmph:

bbqfred
02-15-2012, 07:03 PM
What about the gasket, doesn't it burn up at 1000 degrees?

When I've done a clean burn, I load it with lump to the top of the fire ring (not just the fire box, but the ring). I light it and get a fire going. I leave the bottom vent open and I leave the daisy wheel off. About 45 minutes later, I have a fire of 1000 degrees blasting and the inside parts (lid, fire ring, fire box) are whiter than fine china.

If you do something like this, DON'T attempt to open the lid. Obviously, you wouldn't want to be near 1000 degrees of pure heat, but I've noticed that the bands get loose under all that heat (they do tighten back up when it cools down).

The minus is that you will use a TON of lump, but it's nice to do when your Egg is covered in mold after not using it for two months :mmph:

MoyMch
02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will use the methods everyone suggests. Will the Egg be able to handle that kind of heat? I don't think I have ever had mine above 500 degrees.

Booking It
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
What about the gasket, doesn't it burn up at 1000 degrees?
Gasket? What gasket? :becky: Mine was looooong gone before that. If anything, the first time that I did a clean burn, I got rid of the annoying little patches of burned gasket that were left. I haven't had a gasket for awhile and haven't really noticed a huge difference in my cooks as long as it's not a crazy windy day.

chrisnjenn
02-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will use the methods everyone suggests. Will the Egg be able to handle that kind of heat? I don't think I have ever had mine above 500 degrees.

Easily. I had mine well over 1000 degrees more than once.

jaestar
02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I think the owners manual said they are self cleaning. Just crank up the heat like others said.