PDA

View Full Version : Ribs for 40 Cypress CA

fedex
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Hey Bretheren, Our home was chosen for a home makeover and it started last week. When it started last week the crew saw all my Q's. UDS, WSM 18 and 2 Weber Kettles One of the camera guys was telling me he was on the first bbq Pitmasters show and was with Harry Soo and Myron Mixon alot. Long story short I was asked to cook ribs for the crew on thursday. They are going to Cosco and buying everthing I need. I never cooked for this many people but I estimated 20 Racks but now I'm thinking that is a little low. what do you think? Also any advice you have bring it on. I have it planned out pretty good. I will have all the cookers prepped today and also all the ribs will be rubbed and ready for cooking on thursday. HARRY SOO, do you have an extra WSM I can borrow? LOL. Thanks again for any advice. And there will be pics.

razrbakcrzy
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
wow! cool experience.... good luck man!!

Ryan Chester
02-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Congrats. Im from Cypress too.

buffalotom
02-15-2012, 03:52 PM
What else are you having? With sides 20 racks should work. To be safe throw a few more racks in.

bbqwilly
02-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Congrats and have fun.

SuperQue
02-15-2012, 04:32 PM
That sounds like fun. Good Luck!

MStoney72
02-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Sounds like fun and congratulations on the home makeover. If you are staying with 20 ribs I would cut them in thirds when you are finished and have plenty of sides for fillers, cutting them in thirds will help from everyone over indulging and grabbing more than they need. Good Luck on your cook:)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

gtr
02-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Years ago when I was on a catering crew we would cut the racks into 2 rib sections for the chafing dish (this is for self-service).  If you cut into 1/2 racks or other large portions there's potential for a lot of waste.

You can get some great insight on this kind of stuff in the catering forum - the guys there do this kind of thing all the time. :thumb:

AustinKnight
02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Good luck brotha, when doe's it air? I would say your going to need some rib racks if you choose to cook them whole these racks look good and are cheep they hold six racks, but there sold out at my Ikea some brethren use them across the water. How many racks do you have on the UDS, as for the WSM I'm not sure how many it can hold, gtr is right the catering forum would be great help.?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70154800/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/rationell-variera-pot-lid-organizer__0095091_PE233458_S4.JPG
I'm sure those plastic nipples pop off at the bottom of the racks.

fedex
02-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Due to filming and time restraints Im going with Pulled Pork. Between the UDS and WSM I can get about a dozen Butts in both cooker without worring about keeping the Ribs warm for four hours. More to come. Thanks again.

gtr
02-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Due to filming and time restraints Im going with Pulled Pork. Between the UDS and WSM I can get about a dozen Butts in both cooker without worring about keeping the Ribs warm for four hours. More to come. Thanks again.

A very wise decision right there. :thumb:

Ryan Chester
02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
No BS boys. Just stopped by. Full blown TV crew and all!

Congrats again and good to meet you Bob.

BC Squared
02-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Very cool!

Bigmista
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
20 racks = 240 bones
240 bones / 40 people = 6 bones per person. Way more than you will need.

AustinKnight
02-15-2012, 11:04 PM
20 racks = 240 bones

I like that good way to put it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

fedex
02-15-2012, 11:10 PM
20 racks = 240 bones

Ryan thanks again, that was an awesome gift today. Bigmista, I know it was alot but those guys on the crew eat like pigs and the best part is they bought everything. Always afraid of running out. One of the soundguys BOB said to say Hi to you. More to come.

fireman_pete
02-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Wow, that sounds like an awesome experience. Lets see some pics. What show is the makeover for?

Just Pulin' Pork
02-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Hey Fedex if you can post some pics that would be cool to see! Thanks for posting this it will be fun to see how everything turns out!

jawpaul
02-16-2012, 12:36 AM
That's awesome man! Pulled pork was definitely the right decision. Having worked as a camera guy before we appreciate the grub. Specially the good stuff

fedex
02-16-2012, 01:35 AM
I promise pics will come. Right now no computer I'm doing everything off my phone and the camera is crappy. My wife and kids are verry excited about this gift our house really needed this and I do know how lucky and blessed we are. More to come...Bob

tbaker30
02-16-2012, 02:21 AM
That is really cool. Congratulations!

BBQ4FUN
02-16-2012, 06:28 AM
That is GREAT!! Can't wait to see the show! And to happen to a Brethren is way cool. :icon_cool

fedex
02-16-2012, 10:43 AM
The show has no name yet but it will be on A & E hosted by Eric by Eric Strausmen. I hear he has done a couple of these shows. Super Cool Guy.

Ryan Chester
02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Ryan thanks again, that was an awesome gift today. Bigmista, I know it was alot but those guys on the crew eat like pigs and the best part is they bought everything. Always afraid of running out. One of the soundguys BOB said to say Hi to you. More to come.

Your welcome Bob. Brethren take care of Brethren.:thumb:

razrbakcrzy
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
The show has no name yet but it will be on A & E hosted by Eric by Eric Strausmen. I hear he has done a couple of these shows. Super Cool Guy.

Tall, blonde headed feller with slight beard!! right? kinda country surfer looking...!

fedex
02-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Hey Bretheren, Our home was chosen for a home makeover and it started last week. When it started last week the crew saw all my Q's. UDS, WSM 18 and 2 Weber Kettles One of the camera guys was telling me he was on the first bbq Pitmasters show and was with Harry Soo and Myron Mixon alot. Long story short I was asked to cook ribs for the crew on thursday. They are going to Cosco and buying everthing I need. I never cooked for this many people but I estimated 20 Racks but now I'm thinking that is a little low. what do you think? Also any advice you have bring it on. I have it planned out pretty good. I will have all the cookers prepped today and also all the ribs will be rubbed and ready for cooking on thursday. HARRY SOO, do you have an extra WSM I can borrow? LOL. Thanks again for any advice. And there will be pics.

Tall, blonde headed feller with slight beard!! right? kinda country surfer looking...!

Yup, thats him.

fedex
02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Hey Fedex if you can post some pics that would be cool to see! Thanks for posting this it will be fun to see how everything turns out!

Lots of pics to come. No computer right now. The welcome home party starts at 5:00 lleft coast time. Can't wait.

BBQ4FUN
02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Lots of pics to come. No computer right now. The welcome home party starts at 5:00 lleft coast time. Can't wait.

Sounds like it's going to be a great time!