PDA

View Full Version : Legless Dtch oven

jfletcher84
02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
My parents gave me a Bayou Classic dutch oven for christmas. I was all excited about it until I discovered it has no legs.:doh: I have no Idea how to use it. If someone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

NBBD
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
3 rocks... thats how we did it growing up

The Pigman
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
if using briquets under take 4 small like mushroom cans emty and put on ground and set it on top......legs

SDAR
02-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Few similar sized rocks for bottom heat and you're good to go. Most dishes take heat from the top anyway.

bluetang
02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm new to the DO so I'm sure the more savvy will chime in. You could hang over a fire for sure, inside a smoker too, set over coals on a grill (oven for sure:shocked:). Donna actually gave me one for Christmas w/o legs and we ended up taking it back for one with the legs. I cooked some stuff with the charcoal over and under, she went out and bought me another size:thumb:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Use it on the grill grate, oven and stove top. If it has a bail, hang it over coals from a tripod. Great for chili, stews and beans.

The Pigman
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
www.scoutorama.com (http://www.scoutorama.com) boy scout reciepes for it.

cholloway
02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
I prefer a DO w/out legs. What good are they?

The Pigman
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM

???????????

cholloway
02-06-2012, 07:33 PM
as in... what purpose do they serve?????????????

jimithing78
02-06-2012, 07:33 PM
When I was in the boy scouts growing up we just buried them in the coals. All around and then piled some on top with a shovel. Of course being legless means you can put it on the stove and in your oven too. More flexible without the legs IMO.

Callahan-que
02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
as in... what purpose do they serve?????????????

They can be used on a stove top

cholloway
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
So can a DO w/out legs.

Callahan-que
02-06-2012, 08:04 PM
So can a DO w/out legs.

I thought you were talking about DO's without leg. A Do with legs is used as an oven by placing a certain number of coals beneath it and on top of it to achieve a desired cooking temperature.

danparker77
02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Prefer mine legless also. As already stated, w/o legs you can use them on the grill, on the stove, in the oven. Or....use three firebricks for legs.

tish
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
My Dutch oven has no legs, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I like being able to use it on top of the stove and in the oven, as well as when I'm camping, or on my smoker if I want to. Can't do all that if it had legs. I love the versatility of it. I use it every couple of days or so to make our no-knead bread. I'd be lost without it. :wink:

Hoss
02-06-2012, 08:58 PM
You can use EITHER one for ANYTHING. :thumb:

Callahan-que
02-06-2012, 09:05 PM

I haven't tried using my DO with legs on my electric stove, I figured it it would be more suited for a gas stove. I do use my legless DO's on the the stove though.

caseydog
02-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Dutch ovens come with and without legs. The ones with legs make it easier to cook with charcoal underneath. The lids vary, too. I lid with a ridge around the rim makes it easier to put charcoal on top.

Typically, a DO with no legs and no ridge on top would be used in the oven, or on a stovetop -- or hung over hot coals in a campfire or fireplace.

They both do the same thing, but do it differently. You can use a legged DO in your oven, and you can use a legless DO on the campfire. You just have to think differently.

If you want to use a legless DO with no ridge on top with charcoal above and below, you will have to improvise. Three rocks below will work, and a steady hand for the coals on top will work.

Think like a pioneer.

CD

Hoss
02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I haven't tried using my DO with legs on my electric stove, I figured it it would be more suited for a gas stove. I do use my legless DO's on the the stove though.

I use my legged DO on my glass elec cooktop,in my BGE,on the smoker,the fish cooker,bed of coals,ANYWHERE I can use a leggless one and vise versa.

cowgirl
02-06-2012, 09:41 PM

That's what I do too! Use both kinds in any situation. :thumb:

Ole Man Dan
02-06-2012, 11:42 PM
I've got Dutch Ovens with legs and some without.
I like to use the flat bottoms on a cooking grate.
I have a grate that's big enough to go over firepits for the flat bottoms.
When I use the grate, I can do coffee, and skillet items at the same time.
(It's not really traditional, but very handy)
I use a different lid when I want to do coals on top...

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/OleManDan/P1010035.jpg

LT72884
02-07-2012, 12:58 AM
you could take two rocks and spread them apart by about 14 inches, then place a cooking grate on top of the rocks. then place the coals under that. that way the entire base of the DO is exposed to coals.

or i use this for mine.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/Drum%20smoker/charcoalgrate.jpg

its a 18 inch charcoal grate with legs welded on it.

The Pigman
02-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Also you can put so many coals below and on top for what you are cooking but also if you have 3 or 4 DO's you can stack them and the coals between do double duty

The Pigman
02-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Here you go

Dr_KY
02-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I have two the same size that came with legs. Because they were inexpensive from eBay i cut the legs off one of them. Legs are fine as long as you don't have one of those glass topped deals.

Used the legless this weekend for a bit of stew. I needed an excuse to test my Glovens ...

http://i44.tinypic.com/35d2br5.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/33lm555.jpg

HOG WILD BBQ
02-08-2012, 02:41 PM
we have a steel fire barrel. set the oven on the ground and shovel the coals around it from the fire barrel.

vafish
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Me too. Just set the do on the coals and it works just fine. You also can use them on the stove top.

I think the legs are just a pita.

I would not buy a do with legs and if you gave me one my angle grinder would be on those legs like a fat chick on a box of chocolates.

The Pigman
02-09-2012, 04:33 AM
This is my set up legs so i can put charcole under. old gasser guts removed and stainless lined so I can cook on deck

Wampus
02-09-2012, 08:32 AM

I'm a Cubmaster for my boys' Cub Scout Pack and we have 2 DO's with legs that we use at campouts all the time. I actually want a legless one so I can use it on the stovetop and on the grill & smoker too.

HOWEVER.....the legged ones (pretty sure they're called spider DO's) are farkin awesome for stacking....

lit coals on ground
DO over the coals
lit coals on lid
2nd DO sits on the lid of the first with coals between
more lit coals on top of the 2nd

....stack em up!
(recommended not to stack more than 3 at once)

I cook 2 different camp cobblers for the Scouts while dinner's cooking.

KnucklHed BBQ
02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
If you want to use a legless DO with no ridge on top with charcoal above and below, you will have to improvise. Three rocks below will work, and a steady hand for the coals on top will work.

Think like a pioneer.

CD

If the steady hand thing ain't workin for ya, make yourself a foil halo that's about the same size as the outer diameter of the lid. Oh, and instead of rocks underneath, just use a few unlit briq's and place the lit ones between them

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/knucklhedbbq/DSC07342Medium.jpg

Pineapple upside down cake that came out of the DO:

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/knucklhedbbq/DSC07365Medium-1.jpg

tish
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
When I'm camping, I just take my legless DO and snuggle it down right into the coals. I don't use any rocks to hold it up. Never had anything burn, or cook unevenly. I've used foil to make an edge around my lid if I was really trying to get the temp up very high, but most times, a steady hand has sufficed for placing coals on the lid. Never had a problem. :wink: