PDA

View Full Version : First Smoker

jpmor1
01-30-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been grilling for several years now, but wanted a pit with a little more room. I bought the $400 semi-cheapo Old Country Pecos offset smoker from Academy. After using it three times now, I can't seem to get the temperature up using only charcoal. A full chimney of charcoal won't even get me to 200. If I put a few sticks on it, it shoots up fine. Is it possible to get the temp up to 300ish using only charcoal? It doesn't appear that the door to the firebox seals really well. Could that be a problem too? I've got all the vents wide open, and the charcoal is burning well. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cack
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
The fire box door I would think would be a factor but probably not a MAJOR issue. I know there's some around here with tricks to seal that up (wouldn't hurt to try)

If you're throwing some sticks in their and its spiking. Maybe do half a chimney and a stick or two.

It took me a while to learn where the median for my smoker was. Once you find it though you'll be set. Maybe one day you just sit out there and play with it. No food just a thermometer and wood/coal. Add some on different varieties and see how the temp reacts

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
01-30-2012, 10:23 AM
I am not sure I understand. Are you only using one full chimney of lit charcoal and then throwing on a few sticks of wood? No unlit charcoal in the firebox first?

jpmor1
01-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I am not sure I understand. Are you only using one full chimney of lit charcoal and then throwing on a few sticks of wood? No unlit charcoal in the firebox first?

I've done it both ways. Wouldn't putting lit charcoal on top of unlit charcoal only keep the temp down? Some of the heat would have to go toward lighting the unlit charcoal. Seems if it's a charcoal amount problem, I'd be better off just putting two chimneys of lit charcoal in there at the beginning.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
01-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Sounds like you just don't have enough fuel in the box.

Putting some lit charcoal on top of unlit is called the Minion method. You need to wait until you get a good clean burning fire before you put the meat on. I normally wait at least an hour for the sweet blue smoke and the temp to settle where I want it.

On an offset you put the lit coals forward of the unlit ones so it burns away from the meat. Or better yet, build a charcoal basket. Do a search for "minion" and you will see much discussion of the method.

jpmor1
01-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Sounds like you just don't have enough fuel in the box.

Putting some lit charcoal on top of unlit is called the Minion method. You need to wait until you get a good clean burning fire before you put the meat on. I normally wait at least an hour for the sweet blue smoke and the temp to settle where I want it.

On an offset you put the lit coals forward of the unli ones so it burns away from the meat. Or better yet, build a charcoal basket. Do a search for "minion" and you will see much discussion of the method.

I've been thinking the smoker is just too big for the amount of charcoal I'm using. Which would be exactly what you said -- not enough fuel. But my understanding of the Minion method is that it is used to extend the amount of time that the fire lasts. Not necessarily to make the fire hotter. I did build a charcoal basket. Maybe I'll just put a bunch of charcoal in it and light it the old fashioned way instead of only using what fits in the chimney.

hamiltont
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
You mentioned it but have you actually tried using two full lit chimney's at once? Also try placing the charcoal as close to the smoker/meat as possible. And, if your not using it already, try a bag of Lump Charcoal. It burns a bit hotter. Cheers!!!

qnbiker
01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
In a smoker that size, a chimney of lit charcoal should give you plenty of heat. I would guess it's an airflow problem. Make sure there is plenty of air space under the charcoal and the firebox intake vents and chimney exhaust are open.

Brizz
01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
I have an offset very similar to your Old Country. A crack in the firebox door won't be the issue. If anything it would allow more oxygen in for a hotter burn. When I need temps above 300 I have to slide my ash pan out about an inch to allow even more air flow. If I dump a half chimney of hot coals to one side of my basket, with unlit coals filling the rest and place the lit coals towards the cooker/away from the vent I can get a steady 250* for 4-5 hours. From what I hear I would agree with qn. My basket sits 2-3 inches above the bottom of my firebox on the charcoal grate that came with my smoker.