PDA

View Full Version : Todays Experimental Cooks

tortaboy
01-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Lots of experiments going on today.....

I've got my first cured pork loin (6 days) getting smoked to 150 in my attempt at Canadian Bacon. Pretty basic cook, but new for me.

I've got 6 pork loins that have been marinading in a canned pineapple juice based marinade for 24 hours. I'm going to smoke them to 140, then wrap them in foil with MORE leftover canned pineapple juice in the foil. Will cook to probe tender around 200 degrees.

Why?

Three reasons:

1. To prove to myself that canned pineapple juice will not make meat mushy.

2. To enhance the flavor of pork loin. Pork loin in itself is kinda boring, so
the more smoke I can get in it (And still keep it juicy), the better as far
as I am concerned.

3. To prove to myself that I can cook pork loin like a brisket, and it will still
have great flavor, texture, and be juicy.

I'll either have plenty of meat for sandwich's over the next few weeks, or I'm gonna be a hungry dude at work this week.

landarc
01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
You can eat pork jerky, it is perfectly safe. I suspect the pineapple juice will be fine.

tortaboy
01-29-2012, 03:08 PM
You can eat pork jerky, it is perfectly safe. I suspect the pineapple juice will be fine.

How much you wanna bet it will turn out nothing like pork jerky?

DMSinTexas
01-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Curious about your pineapple experiment. I have heard that the heat treatment involved in canning deactivates the tenderizing enzyme. Never wanted to risk a piece of pork on the experiment though.

tortaboy
01-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Curious about your pineapple experiment. I have heard that the heat treatment involved in canning deactivates the tenderizing enzyme. Never wanted to risk a piece of pork on the experiment though.

Just looking at the pork as I put it on the smoker makes me think marinading with canned pineapple juice will not be a problem. The texture looks completely normal.

Here's the question in my mind. IF the tenderizing enzyme is neutralized, does that mean the flavor of the pineapple will not saturate the meat?

campdude
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Inquiring minds want to know:decision:

BobBrisket
01-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks like you have many things to prove to yourself..................let us know how it turns out!

Bob

BobBrisket
01-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Pork/Pineapple jerky with pepper flakes is tasty. Don't ask how I know.:biggrin1:

tortaboy
01-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Pork/Pineapple jerky with pepper flakes is tasty. Don't ask how I know.:biggrin1:

The pepper flakes must dry it out....LOL:becky:

BobBrisket
01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
The pepper flakes must dry it out....LOL:becky:

Not so much the flakes but too many beverages of a particular kind.......:wink:

bigabyte
01-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Looking forward to hearing your results.:cool:

tortaboy
01-29-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm going to have to do the results in two parts. The Canadian Bacon was done long ago, rested, sliced, and already in the freezer.

Here is a pic of the Canadian Bacon:

landarc
01-29-2012, 10:12 PM
That looks pretty good

mytmouz
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM
I LUV bacon...

tortaboy
01-29-2012, 10:29 PM
The Pineapple marinated loins came out great also. They took FOREVER to probe tender (About 6 hours at 275 or so).

I'm horrible with my camera, but I wanted to get a good close up of both the texture, and the outside of the loin.

My wife and I both preferred the flavor of this meat over the traditional way of cooking loin. The sweetness of the pineapple juice was evident. It definitely did not impact the texture of the meat.

captndan
01-31-2012, 06:10 AM
I hope you're not confusing cured Canadian bacon with marinated (pineapple) pork loin.

phattony
01-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Those both look great! :clap2:
I can attest that pineapple wont turn the meat mushy. Normally all my pork loins are injected with pineapple and Malibu rum and allowed to marinate overnight. The Malibu gives a nice subtle coconut hint to the flavor of the meat.

tortaboy
01-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Those both look great! :clap2:
I can attest that pineapple wont turn the meat mushy. Normally all my pork loins are injected with pineapple and Malibu rum and allowed to marinate overnight. The Malibu gives a nice subtle coconut hint to the flavor of the meat.

That sounds great.

Sly-one
01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
As much as I love pineapple, I'm going to have to try this. It looks really tasty!

ccbear
01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Looks tasty!!

mr dirts bbq
01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
very interesting i think i may wanna try this one

tortaboy
01-31-2012, 10:03 PM
I hope you're not confusing cured Canadian bacon with marinated (pineapple) pork loin.

Nope...Two totally different experiments.

I cured the pork loin for Canadian Bacon during the week and cooked it to 150, rested and sliced.

I marinated the other pork loins in pineapple juice and some other things for 24 hours+...cooked to 140, wrapped in foil, added more pineapple juice in the foil, and then cooked em like a brisket till probe tender (Over 200).

fingerlickin'
02-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Did u pull the loin? As in pulled pork style. My uncle is giving me two loins to do for him this weekend and I think that's what he has in mind. I guess if i got that top sirloin to pull, the loin will too eventually .

sent from my android device using tapatalk

tortaboy
02-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Did u pull the loin? As in pulled pork style. My uncle is giving me two loins to do for him this weekend and I think that's what he has in mind. I guess if i got that top sirloin to pull, the loin will too eventually .

sent from my android device using tapatalk

Na...just sliced it. Really good flavor.

One great addition is to save some of the juice that never touched the meat, and add a bit to the finished product. You REALLY get to enjoy the taste this way. Almost makes marinading seem like a waste of a lot of good juice. :-D

DMSinTexas
02-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Cool, glad you did the experiment!

---k---
02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Looks great. Results sound similar to mine that I posted a few weeks back, which were similar to what Willkat posted several years back... Not sure why this method of cooking a loin is not more common. It works well and is probably more fool proof than trying to pull it before overcooking.

tortaboy
02-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Looks great. Results sound similar to mine that I posted a few weeks back, which were similar to what Willkat posted several years back... Not sure why this method of cooking a loin is not more common. It works well and is probably more fool proof than trying to pull it before overcooking.

Dunno. Fear of the unknown? :shocked:

FromthePitBBQ
02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Nice work! Thanks for sharing some great ideas. :thumb:

KnucklHed BBQ
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
As DMSinTeaxas said, the heat during the canning process deactivates the enzymes in pineapple juice - that said, unless you like Meef-Mush, NEVER inject meat tenderizer into a piece of meat to be cooked low and slow...

If you have a strong stomach, you can see the results I got from injecting 100lbs of brisket with a solution that I didn't know had tenderizer in it... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90655

I get the same sick feeling in my gut every time I look at these pics. :puke:

SirPorkaLot
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
As DMSinTeaxas said, the heat during the canning process deactivates the enzymes in pineapple juice - that said, unless you like Meef-Mush, NEVER inject meat tenderizer into a piece of meat to be cooked low and slow...

If you have a strong stomach, you can see the results I got from injecting 100lbs of brisket with a solution that I didn't know had tenderizer in it... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90655

Uh ... Wow......
Nice errr hot pink color on that brisket.

Knucklehead has suffered so the rest of us don't have too.

tortaboy
02-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Dude...that is nasty. Thanks for the warning before I looked.:eusa_clap