PDA

View Full Version : First chicken smoke

MR_SNUGGLES_801
01-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I had a friend give me a couple frozen chickens each one is already seasoned. I have never smoked any chicken but I haved smoked a turkey that I put in brine for a day. My question is if I don't brine these birds will they come out dry and tough. I don't know if they are enhanced or not.

IamMadMan
01-28-2012, 08:36 AM
I had a friend give me a couple frozen chickens each one is already seasoned. I have never smoked any chicken but I haved smoked a turkey that I put in brine for a day. My question is if I don't brine these birds will they come out dry and tough. I don't know if they are enhanced or not.

If you don't brine them they will not be tough.

Brining increases the the ability to retain moisture, there are many threads here on brining.

It appears that you have some knowledge as you stated you have smoked a turkey. Use a good thermometer coupled with common sense to guide you through the process and you will be fine.

Good Luck..... Let us know how you progress.

CentralQ
01-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Beer Can those puppies. Keeps them very moist IMO. But drink the beer. Try one with Ginger Ale. Pour out or drink 1/2 the ginger ale, punch two more holes in the top of the can. Put a potato chunk or foil ball in the neck.

Garyclaw
01-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Frozen and already seasoned? Unusual, but, you might try Spatchcock method (open them up from the back) and also re season as the freezer might have dulled the initial seasoning. (if I'm reading this right)

bigabyte
01-28-2012, 10:44 AM
You don't have to brine them, they can be cooked up juicy without it. Cook them until they hit 165-170 in the deepest part of the thigh.

That said, I usually brine.

Pappy
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't like to brine, to lazy. I cover with Italian dressing & then some yardbird rub. Makes super moist birds. I also like the beer can method. :thumb:

Wampus
01-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I usually briine, but smoked chicken without brining is still da CHIT!

Rub, stuff with aromatics (onion, citrus, etc) if you have them, truss up and smoke them babies at a higher temp 325-350 until they reach 150-155 in the breast and 165-170 in the thigh. Get ready for some good eats!