PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

lcbateman3
01-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Who is truly never satisfied with their food they make?

I mean, I think its good, but it always seems like it needs something. Everyone else loves it, but I think it needs that something little else.

But I am my own worse critique I guess. Just wanted to see if I was the only one that way.

Boshizzle
01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Nope, you aren't the only one. For me, it's more about the trip than the destination. I keep chasing that perfect BBQ.

bigabyte
01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Anything can always be improved, but after a while you get to where you run out of things you feel you must try, and are pretty damn happy with what you have. Every now and then you'll change things up though, when some new idea comes along. It's just fewer and further between.

SKA BBQ
01-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Nope - Same thing. I'd take a guess if people like us didn't exist neither would this site or some of the awesomeness we see here.

aquablue22
01-27-2012, 03:22 PM
You know I have discovered that there are people who appreciate good food and good flavors and then there are a bunch of pan friend burger with no napkin people who really don't give a sheot about anything but a meal. So I learned that what I cook/smoke is good and I enjoy it!

caseydog
01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Actually, I impress myself on a regular basis with a really well cooked meal. I also fark a meal up from time-to-time.

I'd say that most of the time I am satisfied with my cooking.

CD

lcbateman3
01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I am usually satisfied. Just think I can always improve. And usually the next time I have. Some times it's flavor some time it is technique. I guess I am always learning and trying new things. Had quite a few failures, but always learn from them.

SmokinAussie
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty critical of myself. Occationally I nail it, about 1 in 10 times.

Sammy_Shuford
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
My BBQ is never as good as I want, every body else loves it.

Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
01-27-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm in the same boat as most of you. It just never seems like the results are quite what i am looking for in my BBQ. I've hit what i thought was just near dead on but that was only a couple times before i started taking detailed notes and i have never been able to replicate the best chicken or ribs i ever made. It kinda haunts me and nothing else i make seems to compare.

venemous
01-27-2012, 04:01 PM
I am usually satisfied. Just think I can always improve. And usually the next time I have. Some times it's flavor some time it is technique. I guess I am always learning and trying new things. Had quite a few failures, but always learn from them.

This. So much this.

Terry The Toad
01-27-2012, 04:18 PM
No, you're not the only one. I am usually pretty happy with my pork butts. But, I still can mess up ribs once in a while. And, my brisket needs work. However, the people I'm feeding don't seem to notice (either that or they are just being very kind.) I think, like you, that I am my own worst critic.

And, as has been said here many times before, usually the stuff we produce on our worst days is still a step up from the fare at most BBQ restaurants.

AD18
01-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Same as you. I'm usually pretty happy with my results and friends and family NEVER complain. I'm more of a "what if" cook. "What if" we tried this, did that, or change this. Had my fair share of train wrecks, but that is all part of the fun and learning curve of being a good cook.

ozlites
01-27-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm pretty harsh on myself too but my friends and family always end up liking the food, which is what I strive for in the end. I usually eat very little of what I end up making and just sit, have a cold one and relax while everybody digs in.

bbqchicken
01-27-2012, 06:10 PM
I am never satisfied with my BBQ. Well, looking back it is very much improved but I still have a looooong way to go.

campdude
01-27-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm usually thinking "I could have done better", but everyone eats it up and compliments the food. I keep trying to improve, that's the fun in cooking .

Al Czervik
01-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty critical of my own cooking, but get rave reviews most times from what I make. I think part of that comes from people not having a good point of reference, and or people just being nice. I love the process of planning, preparing and cooking and but often find the actual meal anti-climatic. Might be by the time I''m done taking pictures the food is cold... :doh:

I will say the quality of my meals is a ton better lately due to what I've learned in my short time here. :thumb:

mtbchip
01-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Easy on yourself, always another meal tomorrow!

jasonjax
01-27-2012, 07:38 PM

This is pretty much it for me too. I always want to be better!

Jaskew82
01-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Nope, you aren't the only one. For me, it's more about the trip than the destination. I keep chasing that perfect BBQ.

This defines my experience as well...

Sway
01-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I would say Im truely happy about 20% of the time? Even on things that I have made before Im sometimes not happy with it. If its something I have never made, I always think I can do better.

thirdeye
01-27-2012, 08:33 PM
I critique myself all the time, and often make changes. Sometimes they are intentional changes, and may or may not improve things. Other times they are unintentional changes and work out good as well.

There are 4 or 5 folks that I can ask for an honest evaluation, and get one..... but for the most part I accept the fact than by habit, people are just polite. They always will say positive things. And although I like to hear good things, I just don't take them to the bank.

smokeyokie
01-27-2012, 08:50 PM
This is my hell!!! All my friends wonder why I am not totally satisfied with my end product. They just dont understand!!!! Do they!!:shocked:

bbqbull
01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Ive been doing bbq since the very late 90's. Honestly I can say I am burned out.
Eat enough smoke off my big offset smoker and sampling tid-bits I loose my taste buds.
Everybody says my bbq is way better than any local q joint we have here in my area.
I really don't know, get a bit frustrated and sometimes change things up.
I just want to produce a great tasting product, nothing more.
My wife says my product taste great and just do what I normally do.

bover
01-27-2012, 08:56 PM
I am definitely my own harshest critic. Friends and family love the food, but I know it could always be better.

Truthfully, I wouldn't want it any other way. The day I make the perfect BBQ is the day I'd have to stop, and who the heck wants that?

Q-Dat
01-27-2012, 08:56 PM
My response when I taste the final product is usually "its good but...." I almost always feel like it could have been better.

But then there are those rare occasions where you almost feel like spiking the football after a game winning touchdown!

But I'd be pretty mad at myself if I got excited and spiked a pork butt!