PDA

View Full Version : concession trailer. Too good to be true?

Stacks
01-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been looking for a concession trailer to make a bit of side income. Today I came across this on the Little Rock Craigslist http://littlerock.craigslist.org/tid/2803251863.html (http://littlerock.craigslist.org/tid/2803251863.html)
The price is unbelievable to me, but what do I know so I email the guy to ask for more pictures. Here is his reply.

Hi
Please apologize me for my delayed reply. Let me tell you a few words about the trailer. It`s a 2007 Homem Spcon concession food trailer in EXCELLENT condition. This concession trailer come with all accessories.
This is a great opportunity for anyone to enter the lucrative food service industry, absolutely no disappointments with this trailer.
I must say that is a very reluctant sale because I'm going through a divorce right now, and I'm in a time crunch, which forces me to sell it under market value. This turns out to be a financial disaster for me. Anyone who went through a divorce knows exactly what I'm talking about! Therefore, the price is $2,750, with all the delivery and handling costs included.
Because of my work i`m not able to meet you in person ( I'm a petroleum engineer and I'm currently located on an oil rig ). The transaction will be managed by Google Checkout ( www.GoogleCheckout.com (http://www.googlecheckout.com/) ) which means that will send the money to Google Checkout and then you will have 5 days to inspect and verify the trailer before Google Checkout will forward the money to my account. Basically, it's similar to buying a camper locally, first the payment will be sent to Google Checkout custody, and they will keep the money until you will receive and inspect the camper.
The trailer is located in Delaware but so i can enlarge my perspectives and reach more buyers, i listed it on numerous states.
It will arrive at your address in 3 to 5 days, depending on weather and traffic.
If you're still interested and you would like to go over the transaction steps email me back ASAP, time is of the essence, and I have to decide.
Hope to hear from you soon,

P.S. for pictures please visit: http://s1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/trailer1231/ (http://s1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/trailer1231/)

I look at the pics and WOW!! My gut say's scam but part of me wants this to be true. Incidently, I checked the Delaware Craigslist and the trailer is not listed. Hmmm
I've emailed him back for some more information but I really wanted to get some advice from the Brothers in Smoke before I commit.
Thanks

cpw
01-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Looks good, but it screams scam to me. How are they going to deliver the trailer to you if they are on an oil rig?

that's hot
all kinds of red flags jmho.

M

bones64
This is a scam!

Stacks
01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Looks good, but it screams scam to me. How are they going to deliver the trailer to you if they are on an oil rig?

One of my many questions back to him

parrdist
01-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Run away!!!!!! Faster run!!!!

TTNuge
01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Typical SCAM. Run away hot and fast, not low and slow.

ThomEmery
01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
old scamp been at it for a few years

Chucktown
01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
When we we're looking for our competition trailer last year I came across an ad just like yours on craigslist. In fact, the response I got is almost word for word. Low price, can't meet face to face, quick sale, etc. It's a total scam unfortunately.

chromestacks
01-26-2012, 08:25 PM
way too good to be true, look at the broken english, that should scream volumes to you
!

Stacks
01-27-2012, 06:47 AM
I agree with EVERY reply. My spidey senses were tingling :shocked: One of those "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" kind of deals. :doh: I sent him a series of questions regarding the clandetine way he wants this transaction to go down. I'm looking forward to the response.
Mike

Ron_L
01-27-2012, 07:24 AM
RUN!!! Don't look back!

here's a Google search for '2007 Homem Spcon Concession Food Trailer'

https://www.google.com/search?q=2007+Homem+Spcon+Concession+Food+Trailer+-+%242819&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#pq=2007+homem+spcon+concession+food+trailer+-+%242819&hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&tok=tzUYR3PP1X0JDn_ATlsE0Q&cp=40&gs_id=om&xhr=t&q=2007+Homem+Spcon+Concession+Food+Trailer&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=CBS&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=2007+Homem+Spcon+Concession+Food+Trailer&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=ad624a0b9fcc9b2b&biw=1386&bih=735&bs=1

Interesting reading :-D

Big_Alvin
01-27-2012, 07:25 AM
scam - similar note when i responded to add in atlanta (i'm in boston area) for a corvette so i replied back i was going to be in Atlanta on biz the next day and could i come check it out...and lo and behold never heard from them again.

Big_Alvin
01-27-2012, 07:28 AM
just a word of caution. i just tried to look at the pix he supplied in photo bucket link and instant virus alert notification popped up. thank goodness for my virus protection.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-27-2012, 07:52 AM
SCAM......

there was one posted here abt a year ago.... I saw the flags but "played" the game for a bit.... it was supposedly in south FL.... I told him I was heading that way the next week and would love to come by and look at it, and bring the cash.... well, to make a long story short, he never answered my email....

I then started to look at other larger cities and guess what, it was posted all across the good old USA..... wonder how many fell for it.... not me, I saw through it....

Hope you have ran faster than Forrest......

HawgNationBBQ
01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Scam all the way....

Capn Kev
01-27-2012, 09:05 AM
What I've found out is that if the poster puts their contact info (e-mail) in the form of a .jpg, it's usually a BIG red flag.

http://www.fraudguides.com/internet-craigslist-scams.asp

Stacks
01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
RUN!!! Don't look back!

here's a Google search for '2007 Homem Spcon Concession Food Trailer'

https://www.google.com/search?q=2007+Homem+Spcon+Concession+Food+Trailer+-+%242819&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#pq=2007+homem+spcon+concession+food+trailer+-+%242819&hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&tok=tzUYR3PP1X0JDn_ATlsE0Q&cp=40&gs_id=om&xhr=t&q=2007+Homem+Spcon+Concession+Food+Trailer&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=CBS&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=2007+Homem+Spcon+Concession+Food+Trailer&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=ad624a0b9fcc9b2b&biw=1386&bih=735&bs=1

Interesting reading :-D

Looks like there are several versions of this scam going around and has for some time. I placed a scam alert to CL.
Thanks for all the replies. My search for a cook trailer continues...

plethoraofpinatas
01-28-2012, 12:05 PM
The first thing I noticed was that the CL ad is listed under "Tickets - By Dealer"

Second thing, based on your email, is that the photo is definitely NOT in Delaware, or at least any part of Delaware I've ever been to!

BBQchef33
01-28-2012, 12:40 PM
http://jagger-bonte.blogspot.com/2010/06/2007-homem-spcon-concession-trailer.html

kurtsara
01-28-2012, 02:10 PM
just my opinion, but when they don't use the email that craiglist lets you use, (the anonymous one) and they put the email in there add it is typically a scam. Typically, I said, not always.

Before we had our trailer built, I looked at allot of Craigslist adds, there are a ton of fake ones out there.

You would think they would put the price a hair closer to a real price to try and scam people. If you think you can get a $10-$15 thousand dollar trailer for about $3000.00 you have to wonder about it.

Dutchovendude
01-30-2012, 11:03 AM
There are tons of these scams going around. Once you send your your money, kiss it goodbye! The first thing you will notice is these is no contact phone number on these scams. Second, in their replies, they will ship it to you. In some of these scams, they will tell you that the shipping was already paid by someone else who canceled, so you do not need to pay anything on the shipping. The money is handled through a third party, so there is no way to get your money back. The first question you should ask, as someone said above, tell them you live in the area and ask to look at it in person. If it is real, they will give you information on it. If they will not, RUN!

Stacks
01-30-2012, 12:51 PM
There are tons of these scams going around. Once you send your your money, kiss it goodbye! The first thing you will notice is these is no contact phone number on these scams. Second, in their replies, they will ship it to you. In some of these scams, they will tell you that the shipping was already paid by someone else who canceled, so you do not need to pay anything on the shipping. The money is handled through a third party, so there is no way to get your money back. The first question you should ask, as someone said above, tell them you live in the area and ask to look at it in person. If it is real, they will give you information on it. If they will not, RUN!

I emailed this guy back asking specific questions. He replied only with the specifics of how the transfer would take place. I told him I was going to be in Delaware this weekend and wanted to see it. No answer. Luckily, there were enough red flags for me to second guess the ad. The brothers here have more than confirmed it.
Thanks everyone

BarbequeKansasCity
01-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey stacks come up to KC we can build 2 at the same time! SAVE YOUR MONEY!! deal face to face...

kurtsara
01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
And remember, never use western union to buy something off the Internet.

BC Squared
02-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Saw a very similar ad while looking for a motorhome. Scam all the way

smokinit
02-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Was removed from craigslist now.