PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to an 18.5 kettle?

danparker77
01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
I have a 22.5 otg. On occasion, when cooking indirect, I have to rotate things around as I get close to running out of "indirect" room. Been thinking I could get an 18.5 OTS but the 22.5 is only a bit more scratch......

Are there any advantages to the smaller Weber I am missing? I really dont see myself buying a second 22.5. Any thoughts?

danparker77
01-24-2012, 07:31 PM
okay, let me put it this way. I have one in my shopping cart and I can get one for 65$ w/shipping. Should I just go for it?

Bogus Chezz Hawg
01-24-2012, 07:34 PM
I use my 18.5 OTS for picnics & tailgating only. Why lug a bigger grill around than that? I don't own a pickup truck, so when I go to Broncos games I need all the room I can get in my trunk for all my tailgating equipment. I scored my 18.5 OTS for $20 on CL. I don't really care too much for Smokey Joe's and the 18.5 works great for my "away from home" needs. I also have a green Performer with a SS table. I scored that on CL for $60. For doing indirect on that, yes the space is limited. That's why I have my sights set on a 26.75 OTG. I have never seen one on CL so I might have to buy that one new :eusa_clap.

I think the 26.75 OTG is what you need.

Good luck!

caseydog
01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I have two Smokey Joes, an 18.5 and a 22.5. Having all three lets me tailor my fuel consumption depending on the cook. The 18.5 is my go-to cooker for one or two steaks. There is enough room to create hot and cool zones, but I can do it with less charcoal than I would on the 22.5.

Now, I only paid 20 bucks for my 18.5 kettle from CL, with a chimney starter. So, it was EASY for me to justify the purchase.

So, yes, they are nice to have, but watch CL. They come up all the time around here.

CD

Boshizzle
01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
To me, the smaller grills are for convenience when I don't need to cook a lot of food.

I like the Smokey Joe especially and the 18.5" when I'm grilling steaks or burgers for 3 or 4 people and also the Smokey Joe for grilling on week nights.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
I too have a 18.5, 22.5 and depending on what I am cooking will use the one best suited. Most of the time I use the 22.5, but if only cooking a couple of steaks, dogs, or such, I will fire up the 18.5.

I agree, keep your eye open on CL, I picked up the 22.5 for $30 bucks, only used maybe a couple of times, and the 18.5 for $20.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

qnbiker
01-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Not sure what you're asking. You sometimes run out of room when cooking indirect on a 22" kettle and are wondering about the advantages of an even smaller grill? Are you thinking about having 2 grill going at the same time?

As for advantages, the 18.5" is a comfortable size when cooking for 2-4 people, and it uses less charcoal. If you can only have 1 grill, it's obvious: 22" or larger. I have a 22" Bar-B-Kettle and a Performer, and I just bought an 18.5" off craigslist to use when cooking for just my wife and me. Ok, I bought it because I could.:roll:

posey's_pork_pit
01-24-2012, 07:54 PM
As for advantages, the 18.5" is a comfortable size when cooking for 2-4 people, and it uses less charcoal.

+1 or if your Home Depot still has them available, a Stok Tower for $49.00.

aquablue22
01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
I have a couple and they are great for two and fit into the trunk of my wives cars nicely!

danparker77
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. It is just, usually, three of us eating. However, I like to throw "extras" on. You know stuff like poppers, an extra chicken breast or two for salads later in the week, a chop for some stir-fry.....guess I am creating my problem by doing that.

So, yes, they are nice to have, but watch CL. They come up all the time around here.

CD

I get to sit back and watch all the CL listings you guys blather about and that is about it. The nearest CL city/town is a few hours away from me.

Not sure what you're asking. You sometimes run out of room when cooking indirect on a 22" kettle and are wondering about the advantages of an even smaller grill? Are you thinking about having 2 grill going at the same time?

Yeah, I as thinking if I needed the extra room I could fire them both up.

+1 or if your Home Depot still has them available, a Stok Tower for $49.00.

As for a HD, same place as the nearest CL posting.

Hankdad1
01-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Since I bought my Performer off of CL my 18.5s are mostly gathering dust.