PDA

View Full Version : Dome temp versus grill temp

scp
01-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a WSW and have always just used the dome gauge on it. I checked it when I bought the smoker as I have heard they can be off. Luckily mine was within 5 degees at boiling.

For Christmas I got a Maveric et 732. Tody when smoking a couple of slabs I noticed on my Mav... grill temp says 260 and dome gauge reads right at 200. Is it normal that the grill temp is hotter than the dome temp.

Temp in KC today is a balmy 50 degrees.

Should I check my mav to make sure it is spot as I did with my dome gauge? Or does this sound normal. Typical wisdom tells me the dome temp should be higher.

MStoney72
01-22-2012, 05:28 PM
That's normal and if you trust your maverick go with that temp

IamMadMan
01-22-2012, 05:59 PM
I have a WSW and have always just used the dome gauge on it. I checked it when I bought the smoker as I have heard they can be off. Luckily mine was within 5 degees at boiling.

For Christmas I got a Maveric et 732. Tody when smoking a couple of slabs I noticed on my Mav... grill temp says 260 and dome gauge reads right at 200. Is it normal that the grill temp is hotter than the dome temp.

Temp in KC today is a balmy 50 degrees.

Should I check my mav to make sure it is spot as I did with my dome gauge? Or does this sound normal. Typical wisdom tells me the dome temp should be higher.

Check this thread....
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124581

qnbiker
01-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Readings can vary depending on when you measure. I've tested my WSM with several thermometers on both cooking grates and at the dome. I get temps within 10 degrees at all 3 places when it's stabilized at my main cooking temp (250). I don't pay attention when it's coming up to temp, but when the coals start to cool, the dome gets cooler first and I can get 50 degree differences. I use a foiled water pan & clay pot base (foiled pan only for over 275).