PDA

View Full Version : • "Prime" Rib question

Phrasty
01-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm gonna ask anyway. There are way too many "Prime Rib" threads to go through under the search function :doh:. BUT... Especially over the Christmas everyone had a Prime Rib cook...

Now my question is this: What defines a "Rib Roast" being "Prime"? Thinking about it logically any rib roast is just that, a "Rib Roast" unless it's of "Prime" beef. Is that so or has it become that any bone in rib roast has been generalized to being a "prime rib roast"? :crazy: What's the deal? Curiosity has gotten the better of me! :becky:

Cheers.

BBQ Bandit
01-16-2012, 02:33 PM
http://www.epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/entry/?id=4117

prime rib
The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is actually a RIB ROAST. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to the highest USDA beef grade. It's only given to the finest beef, hallmarked by even marbling and a creamy layer of fat. Very little prime beef makes it past the better hotels and restaurants or prestige butchers. The best grade of beef generally found in supermarkets is USDA Choice. Therefore, although "prime rib" is how rib roast is often labeled, chances are that it's USDA Choice beef. See BEEF.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/entry/?id=4117#ixzz1jeh25Af8

Or go Alton Brown... at the 2 minute mark:
Good Eats S5E4P1: Celebrity Roast - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmfaeWEjGpM)

landarc
01-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Then there is the other definition, which even the USDA has allowed, which is that any rib roast is a Prime Rib roast as long as it is not identified as being or Prime grading. It has been gone over and over, I have sought out many folks over the years and even the official source suggests that common use trumps the grading system.

Since the term Prime Rib predates the USDA system, the old terminology controls the name, which actually originally suggested that the cut came from the prime or best section of the rib cage of a steer. With the extreme front (plate ribs) and the extreme back (loin ribs) being excluded. This would mean that what we now refer to as the large end or a standing rib roast would be the only part of the rib cage to be considered a Prime Rib. I believe this means, ribs 6 through 11. I should go look at my charts for that.

On edit: Rib primal is ribs 6 through 12, traditionally ribs 6 through 10 were considered Prime Rib with it being necessary to start from rib 6.

For additional clarification...FSIS Food Stanards and Labelling Policy Book, page 154 (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/larc/Policies/Labeling_Policy_Book_082005.pdf)

Phrasty
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Then there is the other definition, which even the USDA has allowed, which is that any rib roast is a Prime Rib roast as long as it is not identified as being or Prime grading. It has been gone over and over, I have sought out many folks over the years and even the official source suggests that common use trumps the grading system.

Since the term Prime Rib predates the USDA system, the old terminology controls the name, which actually originally suggested that the cut came from the prime or best section of the rib cage of a steer. With the extreme front (plate ribs) and the extreme back (loin ribs) being excluded. This would mean that what we now refer to as the large end or a standing rib roast would be the only part of the rib cage to be considered a Prime Rib. I believe this means, ribs 6 through 11. I should go look at my charts for that.

On edit: Rib primal is ribs 6 through 12, traditionally ribs 6 through 10 were considered Prime Rib with it being necessary to start from rib 6.

For additional clarification...FSIS Food Stanards and Labelling Policy Book, page 154 (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/larc/Policies/Labeling_Policy_Book_082005.pdf)

That was my "lateral thinking" on the subject... If quality of the beef wasn't an issue it would have to mean that "prime" would refer to the CUT instead! The first set of steaks I choose if I have a choice is the center cut which have annoyed more than one butcher cuz I have them cut the whole loin in half for it... :icon_blush:

But to me that definition makes a lot more sense than by simple grading. You can find "Prime Rib" recipes that go back a LONG time. Which kinda started the wheel turning which then led to me question the standards of what is Prime when it comes to a rib roast.

On a side note... What side of the loin do you guys like to cut your steaks from? From the chuck side, hind quarter or smack in the middle?

Cheers

landarc
01-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Middle if I can get it. I must add, I long ago lost the inhibition about cutting a piece in half, when I was a child, I was taught that the best part of a bluefin tuna or yellowfin tuna for sashimi was the part of the upper and lower loins about 6" back of the body caivty and extending about 4 to 6 inches. So that is what we would ask for. The fish monger had no problem asking for $15 to $20 a pound back in 1975, we had no problem asking him to provide the best meat for that price.

Phrasty
01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Middle if I can get it. I must add, I long ago lost the inhibition about cutting a piece in half, when I was a child, I was taught that the best part of a bluefin tuna or yellowfin tuna for sashimi was the part of the upper and lower loins about 6" back of the body caivty and extending about 4 to 6 inches. So that is what we would ask for. The fish monger had no problem asking for $15 to $20 a pound back in 1975, we had no problem asking him to provide the best meat for that price.

:heh: Yeah I don't make it bother me either. However over the years I'm come to find that in most cases the loin end (smaller end) is usually the more tender (lesser used muscles) of the loin. I've come to appreciate it a lot more as of late due to the higher about of connective tissue in the chuck end of the loin. .

However, strangely enough... I find the total opposite with pork! The pork I get here is awesomely fatty and there's nothing better than pork fat and I find the shoulder side of the loin the be my go to choice of chops. They always sear up tender and juicy! :becky::thumb:

Cheers