PDA

View Full Version : Pulled chicken......a few questions

Wampus
01-15-2012, 07:37 AM
So, I've never actually done PULLED chicken. I've smoked many a chicken. I've seen this as a menu item several times.

Is this just "regular" smoked chicken that's been pulled off the bone and pulled apart? Do you need to cook it any different? I wouldn't think skin crispiness would matter at all here, so......?

Also, does this dry out or cool off quickly (about the same as PP)? For those of you who've done this, do you serve sauced or sauce on the side?

Thanks in advance Brethren!

Harbormaster
01-15-2012, 08:07 AM
As far as I know you have it right.
Smoked chicken that's been pulled apart. I have never done it either so I have no idea how it affects the moisture content.

stephan
01-15-2012, 08:16 AM
I not sure never having done pulled chicken myself. I think its done low and slow for several hours. Looking forward to hearing from the Brethren

campdude
01-15-2012, 08:24 AM
I've done whole chicken, skin on, LnS. Cook 'til very tender, not sure what IT that is. Rest, remove skin and discard, and pull. It's still very juicy and doesn't seem to dry out too much after pulling. It's pretty much the same as if you were going to cut into pieces to serve. It does cool off faster. I do sauce on the side.

Dave S
01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
I love pulled chicken and make it fairly often. I grill thighs and legs indirect with some apple wood until I reach an IT of 180. I let it cool down before pulling by hand. Remove the skin and start pulling. You want to make two piles. One for large pieces (long strips) and another for the small pieces. I chop up the small pieces so that they're fairly small. These small pieces actually act as a binder for the large pieces. Combine all chicken together and add sauce. You don't need too much sauce, just enough for flavor and binding.
I don't use breast meat because it just drys out too easily and quite honestly, just does not have the flavor of the dark meat (IMHO). If your skin is crisp enough you can chop some of it up with the small pieces of chicken for some added flavor.
Hope that helps brother. I found these hints on a website somewhere and if I can remember where, I'll send you a link.

hav
01-15-2012, 09:26 AM
I have, I got the idea from some Alton Brown wanabe. He was showing how to cook chicken enchiladas quickly, so he purchased a couple of Ready made roasters that you find in the supermarkets for $6 or $7 bucks and he shredded them for the dish. I realized that I could do a couple of spatchcocked birds in the XL Egg and shred them myself for a similar dish. With the added rub of choice and wood smoke, they kick but! I mix the white and dark meat together, I like the contrast in textures.

glh17
01-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I've only done what I called pulled chicken a couple of times. Both times it was a couple of beer can chickens smoked once with hickory and once with apple. I used 3 fist sized chunks each time. I liked the hickory but my wife liked the apple. Most people seem to prefer apple.

I smoked in an 18 WSM at 250 until the breasts reached 170. I removed the skin and pulled the meat. It was moist, tender, and tasty. Next time, I plan to do split chicken as opposed to beer can to hopefully even out the doneness.

Wampus
01-15-2012, 03:15 PM
OK....as I suspected, it's basically just cooked chicken, pulled apart.

It seems to me that since chicken just dries out if overcooked, you'll not want to cook more than normal, but just wanted to check. I'm thinking of trying this and maybe offering it as a suggestion for the occasional light catering that I do. Sure would be less cook time than PP and for those that are into "healthier BBQ" it would seem to be a perfect fit.

So, I'm just gonna plan to cook whole birds (or parts I guess, I just usually do whole birds) to what I would normally (170 thigh and 160 breast) and then yank it apart. Right now, it's a beautiful thing when I take chickens off the smoker and the leg wants to just pull right off of the thigh with a slight tug. I'm thinking THAT is "pullable".

glh17
01-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Wampus,
There's a couple of bbq places around here that sell pulled chicken by the pound just like pork bbq. I don't know how well it sells relative to the pork but I know it sells well. My family likes it about as well as pork, definitely better than ordinary bbq chicken. No bones or skin.
Gary

JimmyDAL
01-15-2012, 05:24 PM
sauce is the key? what's everyone using?

jestridge
01-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I think we will start seeing more pull chicken. If you want sometime try it in your regular chicken receipes such as smoke chicken salad

Jason TQ
01-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Normally when I do pulled chicken I smoke a lot of thighs or chicken quarters and pull/shred the meat off the bone. It would obviously work the same for a full chicken. I like the dark meat more. Normally cheaper than the whole chicken. Giggity.

glh17
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
sauce is the key? what's everyone using?

I've used Big Bob Gibson's Championship Red Sauce and Big Bob's White Sauce. I prefer the white and my wife and daughter like the red.

Jim N' Nick's BBQ sells pulled chicken and has a very good sauce that people seem to like. We had it at extended family dinners. It's lighter and sweeter (pineapple) than Red Sauce. It's good on the chicken, but I think people could drink the stuff.

I agree the sauce is very important. More important to me than pulled pork sauce, which I could really do without.

The Grill Sergeant
01-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I think we will start seeing more pull chicken. If you want sometime try it in your regular chicken receipes such as smoke chicken salad

Smoked Chicken Salad ROCKS! If I have a whole chicken, I will mix a half jar of Spin Blend, 1 TBSP of prepared horseradish, 1 TBSP of Dill, 1 bunch of green onions and I keep the green for taste & color, 3 or 4 stalks of celery (1/4 in pieces), S & P.

Add horsey & dill to taste. I swear it's an over-the-top receipe!

Wampus
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Smoked Chicken Salad ROCKS! If I have a whole chicken, I will mix a half jar of Spin Blend, 1 TBSP of prepared horseradish, 1 TBSP of Dill, 1 bunch of green onions and I keep the green for taste & color, 3 or 4 stalks of celery (1/4 in pieces), S & P.

Add horsey & dill to taste. I swear it's an over-the-top receipe!

Now that sounds farkin good. I LOVE chicken salad anyway. We've made chicken salad with leftover smoked chicken and that was even better. I've never thought of trying horseradish and dill though......interesting. PLUS I've always cubed or diced the leftover chicken. Pulled would add a different texture to the salad. Hmmmmm.....I may be doing this sooner than I thought!

landarc
01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
I brine a bird, spatchcock and cook around 350F and overcook until joints pull free. Then shred and sauce. I pull all the meat and prefer the mix like HAv mentioned above. It does not dry out and you can keep it in a little chicken jus (seasoned stock) for serving. It is great for buffets or as on option to pulled pork for vending.