PDA

View Full Version : rib tip help

dealm9
01-14-2012, 02:39 PM
okay so for those of you who have seen my other post i am smoking everything left in my freezer before i head back to school. my rib tips have never came out good. any help would be appreciated. i have basically treated them exactly like my ribs which i am sure is wrong. i have smoked them at 235 for about 2hr45min and now in foil with brown sugar, honey, and butter.

Mister Bob
01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
I cook ribs tips the same way I cook St Louis racks, right alongside in fact. What do you think is wrong with yours? dry? tough?

Garyclaw
01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Mark, Are you talking about trimmings from a spare? ^^^I do the same as Bob and love them. Cooks treats!

dealm9
01-14-2012, 04:09 PM
last time i did them they came out dry and tough. and yes, gary, i am talking about the trimmings. they are about to come off the smoker so i will let you know how they turned out. i am hoping the first time was just a fluke because the ribs were fantastic

fweck
01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
They cook faster than the spares. Not as much mass.
My notes from the last ime I did them alone is to not use sugar in the rub "too hot" It was awhile ago, with no note on temp, but I assume it was about 250. They came out dry. Note also says 3+ hours. Tell us how yours do, I'm doing them on Monday.

The_Kapn
01-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Not to be funny, but I keep cooking them more like a brisket or burnt ends.

Panned or wrapped in foil, lots of moisture added, and cook them for an extra hour, two, or more beyond the spares.

Juicy, tender, with most of the cartilage softened up to edible texture.

Just my way.

TIM

71-South
01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
I just throw them on along side the spares and pull them about 90 minutes later. Then I eat some and cut/shred the rest for Keri C's beans at a later date (I love my FoodSaver.) They can be a tad dry that way (especially the smaller pieces), but they're easy to do and the ones that go in the beans get rehydrated when they become an ingredient.

dealm9
01-14-2012, 06:35 PM
thanks for all the advice, i have kept one of the rib tips trimmings on about 90min extra when it passed the bend test. one which is thicker is still on and i am not taking it off till it passes the bend test but it has been on for about 1hr since i took the last rib tips off. i will let you know the difference between the two with pron