PDA

View Full Version : Histories and localities of Q....

CelticRaven
01-12-2012, 06:07 PM
So quite often I travel for work which I hate but on a rare occation it takes me to a really nice place or even if the area it takes me to isn't that great, sometimes it takes me to a really great restaurant.

Before I got home last week took me to GA to a small town called Brunswick. Which one of the gentlemen I was working with happened to be a kindred spirt, and we talked more about smokin and Qin then the work we probably should have been doing. :shock:

Well we got to chatting about woods that I use.... My first thought was ummmm LOTS, I have access to cure or buy (cheaply), sweet maple, cherry, hickory, blueberry, and on very rare occation black walnut. That doesn't account for mail ordering Guava, Kiawia, Alder and a few others I have just tried at random.

So being the good conversationalist, I turned and asked what do you use? Oak or Pecan. I raised an eyebrow and said that's it? He let me know hickory and carry really don't grow around here and you go almost any place for Q they are smoking with one of those choices most likely oak.

Well lunch today we went for a drive over to St. Simons island where I was lucky enou to eat at Southern Soul BBQ :thumb: In the words of Emeril BAM THAT'S THE STUFF BABY!!!!! But I did take note.... what were they shoveling that smoker out front full off???? Lovely, perfectly cured hardwood oak!!! (photo of that smoker to follow in a sec....

Ok well that makes sense and there is a huge history of regional BBQ being made with what was commonly available but it got me to thinking, what are some of the more obscure REGIONAL quirks of BBQ? anyone got a few??? Love to hear them.

Jaskew82
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
That is great to hear... considering a am currently curing a ton of maple and oak chunks!