PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Guru WSM Smoking Jacket

smokey and the brisket
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Does anyone own one of these and if so are they worth the 125$ ? I thought about making something to help insulate the WSM myself but i have not made up my mind yet. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

smokingj
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
water heater blanket from HD or others

mrcranky
01-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I wrap the smoker (or parts of it depending on temp) in Reflectix.

http://www.homedepot.com/Reflectix/h_d1/N-19nZ5yc1v/R-100012574/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Jaskew82
01-12-2012, 02:21 PM
:deadhorse:

I asked this question too... I can tell you from my research that people have reported issues of reflectix and other products burning or sticking to the WSM.

glh17
01-12-2012, 02:22 PM
I can't answer your question right now because I haven't used mine yet. Got it about 2 months ago thinking I might need it for planned Thanksgiving and Christmas cooks. I got my WSM in July and never cooked in real cold weather. Temp was around 30 degrees on Thanksgiving but made it fine without the jacket.

The jacket is well made and looks like it would be good in cold, wind, and maybe even rain. (Unless it comes up unexpectedly, I bring my WSM into my screened in patio/porch during rain.) You do have to remove the jacket to open the lid or get to the door. I don't know how easy it will be to remove it and get it off and on. I plan to use it only when it is clearly called for, which will probably be pretty soon. I use my WSM every week or two and the coldest temps in my area are coming up.

P.S.
I do have a guru and the jacket has a cut out for it. I don't think there is anything for bottom vents but I'm not sure.

glh17
01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
P.S.
I do have a guru and the jacket has a cut out for it. I don't think there is anything for bottom vents but I'm not sure.

Funtimebbq
01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
I own and use a jacket of each size for my WSMs. I can say, even in SoCal, they are valuable. Before I bought them I tried the water heater blanket from HD. In the middle of the night, my wife woke me up to say something is burning. What I found was the blanket melting against the side of the WSM. I still have some of the plastic residue stuck to it.
I use the Guru covers in all weather conditions. At the contests over New Year's weekend at Knott's, my 22 1/2" WSM was started at 7pm. My neighbor's 18" was not started until around 10pm. A heavy fog rolled in soaking everything. In the morning, the small WSM had to be reloaded. My WSM ran until well after brisket turn-in time with plenty of coals left over. I credit the use of the blanket and a Stoker system. Yes, the Guru blanket works with a Stoker.

Benny

MilitantSquatter
01-12-2012, 08:25 PM
here was another thread about the Guru jacket...

in post # 28, a poster noted a quality issue

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117132&highlight=guru+jacket

smokey and the brisket
01-13-2012, 04:15 AM
Thank you to all of the brethren for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

glh17
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Funtimebbq,

Do you use the water pan when you use the jacket? I've wondered about moisture accumulating on the jacket and cooker. My jacket has a small hole for the top vent but I was thinking it might be better to just foil the pan rather than using water. I have a digi q if that matters.
Gary

Funtimebbq
01-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for asking. I do not use water, only foil.

Benny

Sledneck
01-13-2012, 05:40 PM
here was another thread about the Guru jacket...

in post # 28, a poster noted a quality issue

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117132&highlight=guru+jacket

Thanks!!!! Poster #28 in a 19 post thread . :rolleyes: