PDA

View Full Version : My New To Me Globe Slicer

Midnight Smoke
01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Checked it out today and went for it. It needed a good cleaning, not to bad but wanted to start fresh. Few small issues like handles.

I do not know about the Sharpener assembly. The stones look great I just do not think they are positioned right. Could use some help on this before I sharpen the blade.

Few blemishes and I need to figure out how to polish the unit up. 0000 Steel wool???

It runs quiet and operates very smooth.

Guy was asking $350.00 I told him it was only worth $200.00 to me and it was mine.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/BBQ/Globe%20Slicer/Picture033.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/BBQ/Globe%20Slicer/Picture035.jpg

anamosity
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Nice, I want a slicer as well, but not a whole lot to choose from around here.

that's hot
01-11-2012, 07:28 PM
the stones should pivot around to engage the blade ,i can't remember the way it works for sure, hard to believe i have two of them in the shed.

M

landarc
01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Very nice for $200 a steal.

tish
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
You got that for $200??? Oh, man... you stole it! What a great buy! Bet you won't be sorry. It's gonna make things a whole heck of a lot easier if you've got a lot of slicing to do. :clap2:

Soulman1282
01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Nice, looks like a hoss! A Chore-Boy or other kitchen steel wool should be fine for cleaning it. That's what I would use at the restaurant. You probably have to remove the blade guard to use the sharpener. Then you tilt the sharpener so there's a stone on each side of the blade and you use them alternately a few times on ecach side of the blade while it's running. Have fun.

bluetang
01-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice dang machine Bro! Congrats.

Boshizzle
01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Nice slicer, bro, congrats!

Midnight Smoke
01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
the stones should pivot around to engage the blade ,i can't remember the way it works for sure, hard to believe i have two of them in the shed.

2 Globe 500's? If so can you look at the stones and tell me if the convex one has the narrow side up?

The blade definitely needs sharpening.

Maybe by these 3 Pic's you can see what I mean.

Off the machine for cleaning

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/BBQ/Globe%20Slicer/Picture012.jpg

Couple shots on the machine

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/BBQ/Globe%20Slicer/Picture037.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/BBQ/Globe%20Slicer/Picture036.jpg

Thanks!!!

Soulman1282
01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Put the cover down over the stones(so you don't get sprayed with sparks or pieces of stone), turn on the slicer, and push that spring loaded button on the back of the stone. It will bring both stones onto the blade. Only go for like 1-2 second intervals until it's good and sharp. It looks like that's how it should work.

Warthog
01-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Glad you decided to go for it. As I had stated to you in a pm these older units always have a few small issues. For that price you got an excellent deal.
Please take the time to clean it completely. We sharpened ours when we first got it. I think I googled to get the info on using the sharpener. As the person above stated no need to hold the sharpener down very long. Worst case you can always pick up a replacement blade on ebay. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

deguerre
01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Looks like you saved yourself an a$$ kickin' Terry! Good for you.:thumb:

KnucklHed BBQ
01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Awesome deal!! Looks like it's in pretty good shape!

There's a fella round here that had a working 12" globe for sale for $60.00, but no meat chute for it, looked around and chutes are like $500-700! sooo, I'm still looking... :tsk:

early mornin' smokin'
01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
very familiar with that slicer, you put the stones over the blade, as said, use the cover, than the lever on the back pushes the stones onto either side of the blade simultaneously. Make sure it's running, no oil is needed, but does help sometimes. You just hold steady light pressure on it and let the stones do the work, check it every 5-10 seconds, DONT PUSH HARD! That blade looks pretty beat up, might be worth taking it off and getting it professionally sharpened, the sharpener that's on there is mostly for general maintenance sharpening. Not fixing chunks taken out of the blade.

Jaybird
01-12-2012, 10:03 AM
That was my slicer about a week ago. Had it about 10 years and never used it. Sold it to a buddy of mine for $50 and a 30 pack of Bud. Guess he made out on that one! I just wanted it out of my garage! Well glad it went to a Brethren brother. Enjoy.

Midnight Smoke
01-12-2012, 11:54 AM
That was my slicer about a week ago. Had it about 10 years and never used it. Sold it to a buddy of mine for $50 and a 30 pack of Bud. Guess he made out on that one! I just wanted it out of my garage! Well glad it went to a Brethren brother. Enjoy.

Really? It is a small world. Guy told me he owned it for 8 years... I think it may be a different one though as I could have seen it in operation at the restaurant he used it at but did not meet him there. What is your buddy's first name? This was pretty nice guy, I had not doubted him.

Jaybird
01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Really? It is a small world. Guy told me he owned it for 8 years... I think it may be a different one though as I could have seen it in operation at the restaurant he used it at but did not meet him there. What is your buddy's first name? This was pretty nice guy, I had not doubted him.

His name is Kevin. Owns Whiskey River Saloon/Restaurant.

Midnight Smoke
01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
His name is Kevin. Owns Whiskey River Saloon/Restaurant.

Not the same guy, this guy is in Tucson. In a way I am glad to know that it was not the same person as I am pretty trusting.

rawtalent
01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
I knew you were going to get it! Great deal!

Jaybird
01-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Not the same guy, this guy is in Tucson. In a way I am glad to know that it was not the same person as I am pretty trusting.

Yeah, that's cool. But what a coincidence that is.

DaveMW
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
So you decided to bite the bullet huh? Good for you enjoy your new toy! Sounds like you did great on the price too! :thumb:

Big George's BBQ
01-12-2012, 03:04 PM
A Great Buy