PDA

View Full Version : Shelter at comps

Big Stogie
01-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I am looking for a good 10x20 pop up canopy to use during comps as my "battle" area. Does anyone know of a good brand that's easy on the wallet? I need something less cumbersome and less time consuming to erect than what I am currently using.

Thanks

Lake Dogs
01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
You may be better suited with 2 10x10's, as some limit tent size, etc. I suggest looking at the EZ-UP's at Sams Club.

smoke-n-my-i's
01-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I use a 10x20 canopy tent, the brand name slips the old brain right off, and I have the main from members tek screwed mostly together. I can put it up almost as fast as 2 ezups...... I got it and the side kit from Northern Tools when on sale for under $200.

southernstyle
01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
i did 8 contests in 2011 with this http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=419399&pdesc=Gander_Mountain_Party_Shelter&aID=505K2&merchID=4006 $350 10x20. 1/2 enclosed 1/2 screened. or open or any combinaton. sets up in a few minutes with warranty.

Big Stogie
01-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the quick responses...thats a helpful start!

smoke-n-my-i's
01-10-2012, 08:08 PM
here is a link to the one I got. I find it on sale every once in awhile for under $100 and the side kit was like around $80 or so.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200304845_200304845

E Mellow
01-10-2012, 10:25 PM
We have 2 different commercial grade King Canopy 10x20s that we use, I guess demand was low on those tents and they no longer make them, here is a more econimical version that they are offering right now... http://www.kingcanopy.com/content/festival-instant.asp

Pull the legs out so the tent is half way up, walk under it and push up on the center support and you are almost done, snap the top into place at the 6 legs and adjust the height as needed. With experience, you are looking at 2 minutes or less to set this up.

Midnight Smoke
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Here is a link to what I have. Have not done a Comp but Pre-Planning... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109161&highlight=canopy

jrbBBQ
01-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Just remember to not spend too much on your canopy. As soon those smokers get fired up in the spring there is a very strong chance that your set-up will get destroyed in a storm. Always plan on bringing a spare pop-up and leaving it your vehicle just in case. In my first year, I had two severe t-storms hit one contest in a day and half. I had and extra pop-up, I didn't need it, but I let another team borrow it after thier site got ran into by a rouge pot-o-potty.

Pelkster
01-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I found a 10x20 pop up with sides off of eBay last year for $199 with free shipping. Here is a link with today's prices.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ez+up+tent+10x20&_sacat=0&_odkw=ez+up+tent&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Big Stogie
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Thankss agan for the replies.

E Mellow
That King Canopy looks nice and isnt to expensive.

Big Stogie
01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Just remember to not spend too much on your canopy. As soon those smokers get fired up in the spring there is a very strong chance that your set-up will get destroyed in a storm. Always plan on bringing a spare pop-up and leaving it your vehicle just in case. In my first year, I had two severe t-storms hit one contest in a day and half. I had and extra pop-up, I didn't need it, but I let another team borrow it after thier site got ran into by a rouge pot-o-potty.
That is a good tip...I never thought about a back up tent!
Thanks

G$
01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Here is a link to what I have. Have not done a Comp but Pre-Planning... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109161&highlight=canopy

The freedom rv comp next month would be agreat starter...

sitnfat
01-12-2012, 08:27 AM
I know you said tents, but I used just tents my first year and a half of cooking. the first year went great no storms. The start of the second it wasnt long and I had 400 bucks of wadded up metal and canvas. I built a small enclosed trailer to suite my needs and my budget. I still put a tent up for shade but have a good place to work during a storm.Dont know how far into competing youre wanting to get but a enclosed trailer or something for meat prep and box prep is a life saver. Trust me prepping meat in the back seat of my avalanche was no fun at all.

Jorge
01-12-2012, 08:41 AM
And secure them! Every year there is at least one story about EZ-UP races that involves a canopy going airborne. It can be scary when it's time for them to land. When you watch one fly over two rows of teams at a height of 20-30 ft. "OH CHIT!" is commonly heard. Pick one up, think about wenching it up 20-30 ft. and slinging it towards your car at 15-20 MPH;) On a slightly safer note, think about trying to tackle one sliding along the ground, before it reaches your family...never knowing when one corner will dig in...flipping it and wacking your or someone else in the head with a leg.

Bigdog
01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
The best one's that I have seen are the white ones that have removable sides. Sides are important if you have too much wind and or rain. 10 X 20 is suggested and as Jorge said, secure it well.

Curly Tails
01-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I bought one from ebay. The same ones that "Pelkster" left the link to on his reply. Destroyed at the first contest it was used. Only two were damaged out of 40 plus teams. Had it anchored very well, just collapsed on itself. Bought another one from the same people with the exact same result. I tell anyone who asked me about those particular ebay tents that they are for inside use only. The smallest wind will destroy them.

boogiesnap
01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
buy this and the walls and forget about it. if the wind or rain is stronger than this canopy, you shouldn't be outdoors.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3879320&cp=3077577.3085044.2287066.712492&parentPage=family

nukenight
01-13-2012, 10:52 AM
I use a vendor quality 10' x 10' EZ-Up shelter (w/ sides) purchased at Sam's. When you have wind over 15-20 mph, I always recommend tying the frames down and the cover as well. The better made shelters have loops in the cover you can tie ropes to for support. During Tropical Storm Lee in September 2011 in St. Francisville, LA, my wife and I cooked at a small contest that was supposed to be MBN sanctioned. The MBN officials left on the day of the contest, leaving us to cook on in the storm. In addition to tying down the corners of the frame and cover to large nearby masses. I also tied down the center frame of the shelter to my heavy backwoods smoker, which did not miss a beat in cooking my 2nd place ribs! We experienced 50+ mph winds for at least 4 hours that morning. Several times during the morning, I felt the need to hold on to the EZ-Up frame just in case! After it was over, the shelter had no damage. The only lasting visible sign we had cooked was a dirt smudge on the side of the top where I kept pulling the fabric down to keep water from puddling (This was located right over the door to our trailer!) I will keep that smudge on the fabric as a reminder that we were dense enough to cook competition BBQ in a tropical storm. Besides, we actually made money by winning 2nd place ribs! How often can you make money in a tropical storm. We used that same shelter in a contest a month later in Texas where we had 30 mph winds (which seemed like nothing). Our neighbors lost a cheap shelter to those winds. Get a good sturdy shelter even if it costs more. Also know how to secure it to the ground. It will pay for itself in the end!

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I also tied down the center frame of the shelter to my heavy backwoods smoker, which did not miss a beat in cooking my 2nd place ribs!

Glad that worked out for you, but I would not recommend using your cooker to weigh down a canopy.

CBQ
01-13-2012, 07:53 PM
The best one's that I have seen are the white ones that have removable sides. Sides are important if you have too much wind and or rain. 10 X 20 is suggested and as Jorge said, secure it well.

Sides are great if you have four. If, for example, high winds force a zipper up on one side, the other three act as a sail and the thing takes off. People near me last year at HVRF will understand why I know this. (Only broke one brace on the aircraft aluminum frame of the 10x20 EZ UP. That beast is not cheap, but it's lasted longer than the 2 SAMs club specials it replaced.)