PDA

View Full Version : Smoker for the Gulf

citrus
01-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm thinking about building a smoker for the coast of Florida. It will be in constant salt air. I am thinking of building it out of T-111. A vertical smoker that will burn charcoal. I plan to use all Stainless screws and hardware. Does anyone have any pics of a wooden upright smoker or know of any websites that may? Any help would be appreciated. Btw, I thought about going with Stainless, but felt I could make one much cheaper out of wood. I would have a stainless floor in the smoker to hold my charcoal pan. If anyone has any ideas for a rust free unit, please let me know.

Thanks!

Citrus

BigBobBQ
01-10-2012, 09:29 PM
this is similar to what I use and it works great, I just have mine on legs and where this firebox is on the side mine is piped in from the bottom but it would fit your needs perfectly.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/BigBobBq/basic%20stuff/woodsmoker.jpg

citrus
01-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Wow! That is beautiful! Where did you find the racks. I like those and haven't seen them yet in my searching. Thanks for the pics!

BigBobBQ
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I made my racks, or rather my dad made them for me out of ss. he cut the rod and welded them up for me, and I use 2x2's as the runners that the racks sit on and if you want sliding racks put one just above the rack and it will hold it so it will slide in and out. You should be able to find ss racks on ebay or amazon but you would have to build your smoker to the size of the racks, where I was able to have him cut the racks to fit my smoker.

abangs
01-12-2012, 10:25 PM
this is similar to what I use and it works great, I just have mine on legs and where this firebox is on the side mine is piped in from the bottom but it would fit your needs perfectly.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/BigBobBq/basic%20stuff/woodsmoker.jpg

That is awesome!

citrus
01-13-2012, 06:46 AM
I made my racks, or rather my dad made them for me out of ss. he cut the rod and welded them up for me, and I use 2x2's as the runners that the racks sit on and if you want sliding racks put one just above the rack and it will hold it so it will slide in and out. You should be able to find ss racks on ebay or amazon but you would have to build your smoker to the size of the racks, where I was able to have him cut the racks to fit my smoker.

I agree with having to build the smoker to the size of the racks. I have been looking for 2'x2' racks, but haven't found any yet. Your lacks look perfect!