PDA

View Full Version : Glued Meat

wheelterrapin
01-07-2012, 11:57 PM
If you have not already seen this video it is worth watching. Never knew this could be done with meat.

http://d.yimg.com/nl/australia/site/player.swf?vid=24472661&repeat=0&browseCarouselUI=hide

stephan
01-08-2012, 08:54 AM
I wonder if thats done here. You just dont know what your getting anymore.

KingRanch450
01-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow.....there are so many things going on that we as consumers will never know about!:shock:

bigabyte
01-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Airplane! - Sniffing Glue - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAwuSK36Gw)

smokemaster1
01-08-2012, 10:30 AM
We never know what's being done to our food. I'm glad it's banned in Europe.

LMAJ
01-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Ick.

EastSideRich
01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Proper Meat Glue:
Slaughterhouse Christmas Special - Epic Meal Time - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rUEpmbdZLw)

Bubba User
01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Never know what your getting anymore

lola
01-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Many people think that meat glue is banned in the US, but it is not. It is labeled an "all natural meat product for use in the food industry" and even though it is banned in some parts of the world, the biggest end user of meat glue is McDonalds and they can have it in their products and sell it anywhere they have "established" food outlets. Scares the crap out of me, there is no way to know what we are eating unless we grow and make it ourself !!!!

stubshaft
01-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Luckily alot of the pork I eat..I shot.

captndan
01-08-2012, 11:57 AM
That fillet looks familiar. Markets have been selling individual cryovac 'fillets' for years. I wonder if it's the same thing.

Gore
01-08-2012, 12:05 PM
My primary concern is the use of this in prime cuts where contamination is an issue. Definitely is an argument for food irradiation. :thumb:

caseydog
01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Available to anyone from Ameazon.com...

Ajinomoto Activa RM (Transglutaminase Meat Glue), 2.2-Pound Bag: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41noKOcAifL.@@AMEPARAM@@41noKOcAifL (http://www.amazon.com/Ajinomoto-Activa-Transglutaminase-Meat-2-2-Pound/dp/B003EX2ECM)

CD

SirPorkaLot
01-08-2012, 12:11 PM
A type of Meat glue - aka Transglutaminase is used a LOT and in may different countries, and has been for over 10 years now

The USDA approved it's use in Oct. 2001.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/FRPubs/01-016DF.htm

The company (Ajinomoto) that lobbied for it's use, markets it as Activa TG

It is used in many products you probably buy.

Imitation crab meat
Ham
Sausages
Hot Dogs
The list goes on.

SirPorkaLot
01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Available to anyone from Ameazon.com...

Ajinomoto Activa RM (Transglutaminase Meat Glue), 2.2-Pound Bag: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food (http://www.amazon.com/Ajinomoto-Activa-Transglutaminase-Meat-2-2-Pound/dp/B003EX2ECM)

CD

Dang it CD- why you always got to be posting at the same time I am with the same info :boxing:

SirPorkaLot
01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
That fillet looks familiar. Markets have been selling individual cryovac 'fillets' for years. I wonder if it's the same thing.

Yes..most likely.

tortaboy
01-08-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't get what all the fuss is about.

From a group that loves fatties and spam?

lemur
01-08-2012, 12:46 PM
now i know how they perfected the McRib.....mmmmmmm

ridgeback05
01-08-2012, 01:03 PM
It's a glucose enzyme.

bigabyte
01-08-2012, 01:43 PM
So how long do you smoke this Transglutaminase, and what is the proper internal temp to cook it to? Or is this another one of those "it's done when it's done" things? Can I add MSG?

Bama Ron
01-08-2012, 02:08 PM

:evil: I thought the same thing when I saw it. Are there not labeling requirements? I can't remove the label from my mattress, but I can eat glued meat? :boxing:

SirPorkaLot
01-08-2012, 02:24 PM
:evil: I thought the same thing when I saw it. Are there not labeling requirements? I can't remove the label from my mattress, but I can eat glued meat? :boxing:

According to the USDA (from link above):

The Agency is also amending 9 CFR 317.8(b) of the meat inspection regulations to require that, when transglutaminase enzyme is used to fabricate or reform a cut of meat, the resulting product's labeling include a statement to indicate that the product has been ``formed'' or ``reformed'' as part of the product name. The Agency has determined that such labeling is necessary because TG enzyme alters the essential character of a product by making multiple cuts of meat or pieces of muscle tissue appear to be one intact cut or piece of meat, which could mislead consumers about the nature of this type of product.

lola
01-08-2012, 02:38 PM
The biggest issue is food safety. A solid cut of meat is just that and so the only portion that has been exposed to bacteria is the outside layer and can be cooked accordingly. In "glue" meat, the inside of that filet has been exposed to bacteria prior to being formed so there for the inside as well as the outside needs to be heated sufficiently to kill that bacteria. The "glue" is not so much the issue as the fact that the meat is literally inside out.

landarc
01-08-2012, 04:25 PM
If you eat Spam and almost all mass market charceuterie, including hot dogs, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, surimi and cold cuts, you are eating some form of transglutamase, of course, if you eat meat with any blood in it, you are also eating transglutamase. It is a part of blood for all mammals.

In terms of contamination, again, a real concern, but, it should also be a concern for any product with a conglomeration of product in a single cointainer, for intance canned meat, bagged salads, sandwiches from a deli etc...

I have actually had a friend who bought a bargain filet in bacon that was tough and tasted like sirloin, tadaa, not filet. So the only concern would be are you getting what you paid for.

tish
01-08-2012, 06:44 PM
So, okay... that's a little scary. :shocked:

captndan
01-09-2012, 06:09 AM
I went to the market yesterday to check this out. The ingredient list sure sounds like a glue recipe to me.

SmokinOkie
01-09-2012, 08:29 AM
So, those turkey breasts in the deli that are huge, perfectly round and no bone in them, you thought they grew that way?

I first say this in use in a History Challenge video where they make those turkey breasts. Takes 6 to 8 "formed" together an although they didn't call it that, they used something that made the meat stick together. After coating, they put the turkey breasts in a form/plastic cryovac and then cooked.

Jaskew82
01-09-2012, 08:54 AM
UGH - That is scary and gross.

tortaboy
01-09-2012, 10:01 PM
so, those turkey breasts in the deli that are huge, perfectly round and no bone in them, you thought they grew that way?

I first say this in use in a history challenge video where they make those turkey breasts. Takes 6 to 8 "formed" together an although they didn't call it that, they used something that made the meat stick together. After coating, they put the turkey breasts in a form/plastic cryovac and then cooked.

love them!

BBQchef33
01-09-2012, 10:43 PM
c'mon folks.... ever eat a canned ham? :thumb: u think it comes out that shape off the pig? :loco: or that turkey breast in the deli counter.. when did turkeys grow 20 lb perfectly round shaped breasts? :thumb: I wish.. and lets not get into bologna, bratwusts, etc... we been eatlng that stuff for years.

BUT......i;d be scared to use it myself... or at least wear a mask.. imagine breathing that stuff in?? what it can do to your lungs? ouch..