PDA

View Full Version : Competition Style BBQ Chicken

kwas68
01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm throwing around the idea of competing in a contest and figured I better try competition style chicken. Normally, I spatchcock and carve at the table while the family drools.

I followed a recipe I found on 'net and think it turned out pretty darn well. At least I think so but I am not a judge nor have I sampled competition quality chicken. Perhaps they were a little overseasoned.

I know that the sizes aren't uniform enough. I'm practicing and didn't feel the need to discard them based on size. I will say I nailed the bite-through skin on my first try!:clap2: The family dug 'em. Tomorrow I'll practice again with my friends being the benefactors or victims?

AustinKnight
01-07-2012, 05:30 PM
They all look great except that back right one you could probably scratched that black off,but all n all looks good brotha did you use the muffin pan?

kwas68
01-07-2012, 06:17 PM
No muffin pan. All in one aluminum pan.

Do most comp cooks de-bone or keep the bone in?

Sledneck
01-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Since you found the recipe on the net would you care to share it?

kwas68
01-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Yup. Wasn't sure if I could and was too lazy to take a refresher on the rules.

http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/bbq-contests/894-award-winning-competition-chicken.html

Very well done.

NorthwestBBQ
01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
No muffin pan. All in one aluminum pan.

Do most comp cooks de-bone or keep the bone in?

Most do bone in.

scottjess
01-07-2012, 06:49 PM

http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/bbq-contests/894-award-winning-competition-chicken.html

Very well done.

Thanks for the link :-) that ones going in the bookmarks :-D

Brian in Maine
01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Nice link. Thanks!!

Triple T BBQ
01-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I am salivating right now. Nicely done!:clap2:

Cloudsmoker
01-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Great job, man.
Did you completely remove the skin, per the BBQ Bug instruction?
If so, did they fuse together pretty well or was it hard to keep them attached?

buccaneer
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Very well done.
Link isn't working for me?:confused:
Great looking chook!:thumb:

kwas68
01-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I removed the skin completely and it stayed on.

kwas68
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Tried it again today with some small differences.
-I was less heavy with the rub under the chicken skin
-I did not remove the bone
-Used my own BBQ sauce rather than the 50/50 BH and BH Red

The less heavy rub worked well. This was an improvement.

The bone made prep easier but caused the thighs to be larger and didn't allow the skin to overlap. This caused the skins to come off easy. The skins probably slipped off half of them during cooking. This was a step backward.

The Blues Hog sauces are simply superior to anything I've come up with to date. This pisses me off. But I'll continue to try to beat it. I take solace in knowing that this sauce combo probably wins somewhere on a weekly basis. So I'm not alone.

NorthwestBBQ
01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Tried it again today with some small differences.
-I was less heavy with the rub under the chicken skin
-I did not remove the bone
-Used my own BBQ sauce rather than the 50/50 BH and BH Red

The less heavy rub worked well. This was an improvement.

The bone made prep easier but caused the thighs to be larger and didn't allow the skin to overlap. This caused the skins to come off easy. The skins probably slipped off half of them during cooking. This was a step backward.

The Blues Hog sauces are simply superior to anything I've come up with to date. This pisses me off. But I'll continue to try to beat it. I take solace in knowing that this sauce combo probably wins somewhere on a weekly basis. So I'm not alone.

It has nothing to do with the bone. We competition guys use toothpicks to hold the skin on...you didn't know? :wink:

kwas68
01-08-2012, 07:47 PM
It has nothing to do with the bone. We competition guys use toothpicks to hold the skin on...you didn't know? :wink:

Heard about it. Does the skin slide off later - like upon biting? In other words, what holds it on after it is in the box?

One response said that most competitors de-bone. Along with scraping the underside of the skin, it was a PITA.