PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Sauce in Foiling

motoeric
01-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi,

If you are one of those competitors that use Tiger sauce in your rib foiling, how do you ensure that it is used comprehensively and not just in sporadic drops here and there?

I would assume that splashing some on would result in unwanted 'spicy' spots on the rib.

Do you brush it on? Do you mix it in melted margarine?

Thanks!

Eric

sfisch
01-07-2012, 04:43 PM
When we use it we just pour it out of the bottle onto the foil, put the other stuff on the foil, place the ribs meat side down into the stuff, then do it again on the back of the ribs, close the foil and let it work. It all just melts together in the end.

Sledneck
01-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Is this for some type of Asian rib recipe?

motoeric
01-07-2012, 05:49 PM
When we use it we just pour it out of the bottle onto the foil, put the other stuff on the foil, place the ribs meat side down into the stuff, then do it again on the back of the ribs, close the foil and let it work. It all just melts together in the end.

And you don't notice any 'hot spots' where one section of a rib is spicier than another?

Is this your comp recipe, your at home recipe or both? I ask as judges in the NE really like sweet and I'm concerned about how well it will go over. I've never used Tiger sauce, but I've been reading about it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Eric

Mister Bob
01-07-2012, 07:50 PM
I do the same, though I've switched from Tiger Sauce to another hot sauce. It all melts together with the other ingredients, and I've never noticed any hot spots.

Gore
01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm not a competitor (obviously), but I mix mine in with other sauces (SBRs, generally) before applying with a brush. Never noticed hot spots.

bigabyte
01-07-2012, 08:40 PM
With the braising action in the foil, everything should get nice and mixed up. You could mix it with the other ingredients before hand if you want, but I really think it's just all going to get mixed up anyway.

I find Tiger Sauce practically drinkable, with no heat at all. So I'm not sure it's hot enough to pick up any hot spots to begin with. That may not be true for all, however.

INmitch
01-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Once you taste it you'll realize that it's not very hoy at all. Also if you like it Big Poppa Smokers sells it in 10 oz bottles instead of the 5 oz that you find in stores. In fact they had it on sale a month ago. I know I'm stocked up on it.:thumb:

Q-Dat
01-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Its funny. The way I understand it, the use of Tiger Sauce in KCBS came aout because people thought Johhny Trigg was using it on his ribs, after someone noticed that a bottle of it was on his table.

I have been told that the only reason he ever even had it around was that Tiger Sauce was sponsoring him, and that if he ever did use it, he most likely stopped after that ended. This may not be true, but its what I was told this by someone who claimed to know him reasonably well.

All that being said, I love the stuff! I think its the best thing you can put on pizza!

Sledneck
01-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Its funny. The way I understand it, the use of Tiger Sauce in KCBS came aout because people thought Johhny Trigg was using it on his ribs, after someone noticed that a bottle of it was on his table.

I have been told that the only reason he ever even had it around was that Tiger Sauce was sponsoring him, and that if he ever did use it, he most likely stopped after that ended. This may not be true, but its what I was told this by someone who claimed to know him reasonably well.

All that being said, I love the stuff! I think its the best thing you can put on pizza!

Nope, that ain't it. The real story is the method was passed around in an unsolicited email from a kcbs board member . many considered it to be spam. In protest they bitched and complained about I like a bunch of retarded donkeys. I heard that some even ran over to their toilets and dumped it down to protest. It makes sense though about the toilet. Very symbolic to see tiger sauce in the toilet. It remnd them of the diahrhrea of the keyboard they have when they post on BBQ forums .
I would like to apologize in advance for hijacking this thread with such stupidity. I thought that was the new "in"thing to do as I've seen it lately around here.

Rich Parker
01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I heard sfisch uses that tiger sauce on everything. Apparently the judges like it up here.

Smokin' Hicks
01-08-2012, 10:23 AM
we always use tiger sauce and have started to stray from it and try other things...i don't think you can tell that much of a difference at all with the tiger sauce....i can tell you this much for sure it will not make your ribs spicy at all and, yes pour it on the foil and just mix it in with everything else

motoeric
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Nope, that ain't it. The real story is the method was passed around in an unsolicited email from a kcbs board member . many considered it to be spam. In protest they bitched and complained about I like a bunch of retarded donkeys. I heard that some even ran over to their toilets and dumped it down to protest. It makes sense though about the toilet. Very symbolic to see tiger sauce in the toilet. It remnd them of the diahrhrea of the keyboard they have when they post on BBQ forums .
I would like to apologize in advance for hijacking this thread with such stupidity. I thought that was the new "in"thing to do as I've seen it lately around here.

yawn

big brother smoke
01-08-2012, 11:44 AM
LOL, folks love looking for the "Holy Grail."

Muzzlebrake
01-08-2012, 12:29 PM

:confused::confused:

I don't get it.......

they dumped an e-mail down the toilet in protest or did they get a bottle of Tiger Sauce as spam?

what are the symptoms of this "diahrhrea of the keyboard" you mentioned?:becky:
:butt:

Chipper
01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Interesting to see this pop up as I just got a case of it yesterday. Ribs are our biggest problem so we plan a lot of practice.

Dr_KY
01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Used it here in a comp once or twice.

Oops the secret is out now:doh: can't wait to see it in every kit over here.:heh:

ClayHill
01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
This sound alot like the bottle of sriracha I have floating around my cook site :thumb: Is Tiger sauce as hot?

Q-Dat
01-08-2012, 01:45 PM
This sound alot like the bottle of sriracha I have floating around my cook site :thumb: Is Tiger sauce as hot?

Tiger sauce is a good bit milder than Sriracha, and is alot thinner and sweeter. Just think of it as a sweet somewhat mild hot sauce. The closest thing I can think of to compare it to would be a sweet asian style chili sauce. Not exactly, but in that ballpark.

bigabyte
01-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Tiger sauce isn't hot at all. It is mostly sweet. It's pretty thin, like a really thin syrup, sweet with a touch of spicy, and some savory flavors to boot.

motoeric
01-08-2012, 02:14 PM

It's not a search for the holy grail, just trying to do better tomorrow what we did yesterday.

Eric

JD McGee
01-08-2012, 02:45 PM
It's not a search for the holy grail, just trying to do better tomorrow what we did yesterday.

Eric

Aren't we all? The thing is...most folks are not gonna give up tips about what wins...unless you wanna pay for it...we just gotta find the Holy Grail that works for us...:becky:

Brauma
01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I put Tiger Sauce on my toast.

Good chit.

pigmaker23
01-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Save some money and take a class..

swamprb
01-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Tiger Sauce cures diarrhea. I keep some handy along with a box of Scotts Natural wipes.

This Is How We Que It
01-09-2012, 07:06 AM
I use whatever Tim Tebow uses.

K-Train
01-09-2012, 08:24 AM
we put it on the ribs with a few other magic ingredients and then rub it all over the ribs, trying to cover it as evenly as possible. Have never had a problem with "hot" spots.

G$
01-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Steph .....

Slippery slope.

big brother smoke
01-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Steph .....

Slippery slope.

Yea, I know but could not help myself :heh:

mobow
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
An intereisting thing that I think happens is that the holy grail shifts. Someone hits a good combo. Then everyone starts using it. Next thing you know it is the same ole same ole judges and taste buds become numb to it then someone jumps ship makes the judges go wow and the process starts over. keith

CMALANGA
01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Save some money and take a class..

This thread got ugly quickly...which class would you recommend as I wish to illude the charlatans of BBQ.

esselle
01-10-2012, 05:03 AM
This thread got ugly quickly...which class would you recommend as I wish to illude the charlatans of BBQ.
Diva Q has just announced an upcoming class. That would be well worth the investment.