PDA

View Full Version : Taming Jalapenos for the grill

thared33
01-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm into flavor, not so much heat all the time. I read an article located here - http://thebbqgrail.com/2010/bbq-tip-how-to-tame-jalapeno-peppers/ - that says to use Sprite to tame them. Well I only drink diet stuff and stay away from extra sugar, so is diet Sprite ok or is the ingredient that actually tames them sugar? If so, the diet version won't work.

What do people usually do to tame peppers? I searched for it on the net and really only came up with the article I posted a link to above. I buy the Mezzetta Tamed Jalapenos and use those... I'm not sure how they go about taming them. But it would be nice to buy peppers in bulk and do all of this myself to save some cash.

TTNuge
01-06-2012, 10:51 AM
If you core them and remove all the seeds then they are pretty tame just like that. I'm not that into hot and my family definitely isn't but as long as I get all the seeds out as well as the ribs/veins out internally they will eat them up like crazy.

thared33
01-06-2012, 10:53 AM
By the way, what is that little contraption that they use to fill foods with? There was something called the Jerky Canon that seems like it works well, but that is a bit overkill. I only need something small. They have what they call a Pastry Filler, and I guess it's similar to that, but it uses a can'gun with a little trigger to make your filling come out.

I'd like to get one of those for various uses.

deguerre
01-06-2012, 10:57 AM
The blog you referenced is a member's website: BBQ Grail (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=1163)

I'm sure he'd be very happy to answer your question about the diet Sprite and may have alternatives as well. Shoot him a PM.

tony69
01-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I guess it depends on what your doing with them. I have heard the sprite works as well, not sure on the diet part either. If you want them tamed down, just remove the seeds & white membrane or ribs inside. A bit harder to do if you cut off the top, but if the japs are big enough you can use an apple corer. If you slice them lengthwise, it is obviously very easy. Even saute'ing them takes out some of the heat, thats what I do @ home. I'm the pepperhead around there, I'm a fan of heat with taste. Also, "thebbqgrail" is a member here, so you could probably PM him to see if he knows. My $.02 FWIW.

DaveMW
01-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Look at each pepper, the ones with white striations are hotter than the smooth ones with no striations. Like them hot get the ones loaded with striations, less heat no striations. That will make a big difference along with being careful to remove all seeds and the whitish colored ribs in each pepper. I'm betting that if you buy the right ones and clean them good that that after awhile in the smoker they'll be what you are looking for.

Read through this post and there is much discussion about sprite and how it helps peppers: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1864843#post1864843

Midnight Smoke
Maybe try a different Pepper, Yellow peppers have a good flavor.

tony69
By the way, what is that little contraption that they use to fill foods with? There was something called the Jerky Canon that seems like it works well, but that is a bit overkill. I only need something small. They have what they call a Pastry Filler, and I guess it's similar to that, but it uses a can'gun with a little trigger to make your filling come out.

I'd like to get one of those for various uses.

It depends how you want to fill them. If you slice them in half, a simple spoon & knife works. But halved or whole, you can use a pastry bag or a ziplock with the corner cut off to fill. I like the ziplock (easy clean-up)!

Boshizzle
01-06-2012, 11:08 AM
There are reports that diet Sprite works.

J_Don
01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
I bought a pepper roasting tray from Bass Pro Shops that came with a corer. If you are not familiar with ABT's you should do a search on the forum. You will then probably want to purchase one of these trays so something similar to it. I like the heat so I'm sorry I can't help you with the sprite question. Larry aka BBQ Grail should be able to help. :thumb:

thared33
01-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll see how it goes.

Is the contraption I'm talking about just called a jerky gun? I thought there would be another name for it, just a general 'filling gun' type thing.

martyleach
01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I find that soaking them in water for 30 minutes after removing the seeds works great.

Groundhog66
01-06-2012, 11:38 AM
See if you can locate some red jalapenos, they didn't seem to be as sharp and hot as the green. I did a batch not long, look here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122861).

smokingj
01-06-2012, 11:38 AM
A good roasting tray can be made in no time with a few simple items.
A pizza pan, a few nuts bolts and washers to hold the pan up off the grill and a 1 inch hole saw. Way cheaper than a store bought popper holder and will hold a ton of peppers if you space the holes right.
As stated above, just remove the seeds and the membrane and your good to go heat wise, or just tone it down with a pepper that is not as high as a jap on the scoville chart.

LMAJ
01-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I have used Diet Sprite and it worked -not sure if I just got a batch of really mild peppers but my face wasn't burning off.

As far as coring - I just use an old fashioned veggie peeler - works fine for me. Rinse out the peppers to get all the seeds out.
If they are big, then I usually boat them -cut them in half lengthwise - makes it easier to get to the ribs and seeds.

As far as stuffing - depends on what I'm stuffing them with if I am using a cream cheese base then I go the zip lock bag route - no need to put one more gaget in my kitchen. If I am using a harder cheese - like a shreaded cheedar or a pepperjack, then I just use my hands.
FYI - a slow cook on the smoker also tones down the heat.
For those who really don't like anything even remotely spicy get some of those mini sweet peppers - they work great and then everyone can get in on the goodness.
Have fun!