PDA

View Full Version : What To Burn In My New UDS

jfikentscher
01-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Well, I fired up the UDS for the initial curing burn with Cowboy Lump and it smelled awful. What should I be burning?

At Home Depot in my area I could only get regular Kingsford or Hickory Kingsford.

Are these ok?

Pics to follow soon.

Flat_Rate
01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I use blue bag K, never had any issues with it and it burns consistent. I started with Royal Oak lump and it was all over the place temp wise. Went back to blue K and haven't had any issues.

ClintHTX
01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
I've used blue k 95% of the time I use my drum. Other than that I have used Stubbs once which was fine and some cheap charcoal that completely sucked. Blue k is my choice they normally have a good price and it's easy to find.

smokeyw
01-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Cowboy lump is terrible. Kingsford blue is good but I would stay away from the Kingsford hickory. It creates too strong of a smokey flavor. You should be good with the KB and 2 or 3 fist sized hunks of hardwood mixed in with it.

JMSetzler
01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't think that the lump would be the source of any odor. If you lit it up with starter fluid, that might be a source, otherwise the odor is coming from somewhere else. Just let it burn. Are there any other possible sources of odor like paint or whatever oil you might have sprayed inside the drum for the curing process?

jfikentscher
01-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Started the lump with a chimney starter. Sprayed the drum with canola oil. No paint on the inside.

Chef Country
01-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I run RO in mine all the time its all i burn

Ole Man Dan
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Started the lump with a chimney starter. Sprayed the drum with canola oil. No paint on the inside.

Some new drums have a clear sprayed on rust preventative.
I got one like that from Buckner Barrel in Springville,Al.
(They may smell if not burned off)
I burned mine out with wooden pallets after I drilled my holes.

I've been using Royal Oak 'Lump' in mine W/O any problems.

jfikentscher
01-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I burnt out with hardwood for about 4 hours, sanded and washed.

Trying to attach pics.

daninnewjersey
01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Manasquan???? Exit 36 brother here :)

You positive you got everything out of it when you did your burn/cleaning? If so, try some K blue. That's all I use and it doesn't stink at all.......

Got pics of the interior?

jfikentscher
01-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Exit 98 here. Yeah I got it out. Burning the hickory now and smells considerably better. Put some drumsticks on just to see how it goes. Don't mind if the drums get ruined. 5 bucks I can do. Don't want to ruin a brisket on my first try.

daninnewjersey
01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Try a naked fatty next. They will lube up the inside nicely and are cheap to do. Welcome to the addiction......