PDA

View Full Version : Hope I didn't ruin my rub

qnbiker
12-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Cookin' butts for 3 families tomorrow, and I ran out of rub. As I was mixing some more up, I noticed the only salt I had was coarse sea salt. It's almost like rock salt, so I ran it through the spice grinder...a little too long.:doh: Now I have salt powder as an ingredient in my rub. I wonder if it will change the character? Oh, well, I don't think the butts will care. Anybody ever done this?

morgaj1
12-31-2011, 06:05 PM
I would use less of the finely ground salt than you do with the coarse salt.

Mornin' Wood
12-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Agreed. Use less (by volume) than you normally would. If it's not a salt-heavy rub, it'll probably be fine regardless.

landarc
12-31-2011, 07:29 PM
from time to time, I use a fine sea salt, not my preference, never used salt powder, volume is your only concern here.

trekmstr
12-31-2011, 07:44 PM
cant add anything. the others nailed it.

Phrasty
01-01-2012, 03:59 AM
I guess it's that time of the night/morning but why would you use less volume over weight... If its the same salt just finer I would think you would have to use less salt therefor less weight due to the increased surface area of the finer grind...

But regardless of that use a bit less salt with the finer grind. :thumb:

Cheers

trekmstr
01-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I guess it's that time of the night/morning but why would you use less volume over weight... If its the same salt just finer I would think you would have to use less salt therefor less weight due to the increased surface area of the finer grind...

But regardless of that use a bit less salt with the finer grind. :thumb:

Cheers

If you are going by weight it would be the same measure. if you are going by volume then a tsp. of fine powdered salt will weigh more than a tsp. of coarser grind would. The difference is very minimal in smaller quantities but the larger the amount the greater the difference will be. Remember also that you can always add a little more salt if you need to, you cant take it out.

qnbiker
01-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Turned out fine. As to how much to use, I measured before I ground it, so it's the same volume it would have been if I had used the coarse salt.

southernstyle
01-01-2012, 11:43 AM
it will be fine its a large piece of meat. after you pull it you wont even notice