PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using Yoder YS640?

watertowerbbq
12-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Is anyone using a YS640 for competitions? On the screen, it looks like a well built smoker, but I was hoping for some info from someone who uses theirs in comps or just at home. If you'd feel more comfortable giving me your honest opinions in private, just shoot me a PM. Thanks.

BasicPatrick
12-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Once I decided to go pellets, I came so very very very close to getting the Yoder instead of the FEC100 (I jut bought a used 2010 FEC three weeks ago-thanks Mel). I love the traditional stick burner look to them. The carts are perfect for portability.

I couldn't find any info on them by comp teams. I "heard" an elite comp pitmaster has ordered one but that is just a rumor. I bet we will hear much more about these cookers this season.

JD McGee
12-31-2011, 12:33 PM
I think Chris with ique is looking at them...he's pretty elite...lol!

barnburner
12-31-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't cook comps but I do have the YS640. Solid smoker but can have some temp variations between what it is displaying and the actual temp inside the smoker. Mostly depends on the weather and wind too. In winter, I set it at 250-260 to get a temp of 225-230 actually inside the smoker. It's important to have your own temp probe in there to see what the actual temp is. I also got the extra shelf and it will hold a lot of meat. I've smoked 8 pork butts on it at one time, no problem. I also made sure and got the expanded metal grates instead of the rolled bar grates. They come with the rolled bar grates but if you ask, they will get you the expanded metal grates. It does burn through a lot of pellets too. More than I expected. I've burned 12+ lbs of pellets on a 9 hour cook before.

SeaDogBBQ
12-31-2011, 01:18 PM
It does burn through a lot of pellets too. More than I expected. I've burned 12+ lbs of pellets on a 9 hour cook before.

I'm not a pellet cooker...so out of curiosity... Is that a big difference with the other pellet cookers out there?

Hot Sauce Hoss
12-31-2011, 03:13 PM
A friend of mine "Gary" with able acres bbq team has one at home he is
using and says good things about. Very solid i think, but he did say that
it would go thru some pellets.

Hot Sauuce Hoss

smknwhlswife
12-31-2011, 09:59 PM
(This is Andy not Kim - cross posting again... have been drinking on NYE) :) We used a YS480 at the Royal, and YS640 at the Jack. We finished our Chef's Choice on it at the Jack and won the Chef's Choice!

We have used the Louisiana Grills Country smokers for years, (with an FEC), and were looking for something that would take that to the next level. we had digital controllers, stacks, etc. added to the Whole hog I used in comps, and wanted something better.... the Yoder fits that bill to a T. IT uses more fuel than my FEC, but considerably less than my Country Smoker. I love the flexibilty also. The probe in it is excellent. IT reads the temp very accurately (for where it is placed). Lots of good convection going in there, and with the 10 gauge deflector plate hot, the top rack is actually about 10-15 degrees cooler than the lower rack. It is constantly adjusting feed rates to tighten the cooking temps in the chamber.

At comps I have been using it for the Chicken and Ribs, and my FEC for the pork and brisket. I like the brisket I get off the top rack of the Yoder, so I will likely use my Yoder for brisket next year too...

My PMs are hosed but email me if you want to get into details. I have been using one in comps since Emporia Beef Fest last year.

Butcher BBQ
01-01-2012, 04:25 AM
I picked up a Yoder grill last weekend for this very reason in mind. I have done just a few cooks on it, but like my results so far. I still will be doing some more tweaking with it.

JimmyDAL
01-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Butcher, which model did you go with? Thx!

Golden Toad BBQ
01-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I ordered a YS640 (w/ comp cart & U21 firmware) last week. It should ship mid next week. I plan on using it for chicken at comps this year.

5am
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
I've never used one but have seen a few in person. They feel like they are built really well.

Butcher BBQ
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Butcher, which model did you go with? Thx!

I have the 480 with the comp cart.

Muzzlebrake
01-01-2012, 11:21 PM
I have a 640 I picked up this fall that I really like so far, it seems to have very even heat and is not nearly the fuel hog of one other uninsulated pellet cookers.I The thing is built like a tank and the craftsmanship is excellent and I have not had any problems that I could attribute to the cooker. I have had a couple of glitches that were caused by pellets or operator error. There are a couple of ergonomic things that I would like to see changed but overall, I'm very impressed with it so far

JimmyDAL
01-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Muzzle, such as?

Muzzlebrake
01-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Muzzle, such as?

What do you mean?

Jaberwabee
01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Don who owns Yoder Smokers is a great guy too, and if you ever have a problem he will make it more than right. All the upgrades and mods to the 640 over the last year were from feedback from the people who purchased the early ones, and they did the mods to all of the early ones who gave the feedback. (helps to live where the smokers are built).

watertowerbbq
01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
I ordered a YS640 (w/ comp cart & U21 firmware) last week. It should ship mid next week. I plan on using it for chicken at comps this year.
What does the comp cart have that the base model cart does not? Didn't see any options on their website.

HoDeDo
01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
What does the comp cart have that the base model cart does not? Didn't see any options on their website.

The comp cart has an enclosed base, and large commercial hooks for strapping the cart for travel. IT also uses pneumatic casters to allow for easy movement in and out of the trailer, across all terrain (grass, gravel, etc). And it looks P-I-M-P!

ique
01-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Once I decided to go pellets, I came so very very very close to getting the Yoder instead of the FEC100 (I jut bought a used 2010 FEC three weeks ago-thanks Mel). I love the traditional stick burner look to them. The carts are perfect for portability.

I couldn't find any info on them by comp teams. I "heard" an elite comp pitmaster has ordered one but that is just a rumor. I bet we will hear much more about these cookers this season.

I ordered one and am elite when it comes to staying up too late playing poker and making a mess during turn ins, so that must be me. :)

Jambo is going on sabbatical. Thinking of trying to do whole contests on the 640, 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks and then chicken. If its too tight will supplement with a WSM22.

Will report back when I get the cooker in a couple weeks.

Scottie
01-03-2012, 12:57 PM
What? No Jambo? Can i use it when i come out east?:becky:

Balls Casten
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
anyone graph one yet? How tight are the temps?

Muzzlebrake
01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
anyone graph one yet? How tight are the temps?

I have not graphed it but if I remember my conversation with Don correctly the board is intelligent and is designed to keep the temp within X degrees based on a feed rate from the last few cooks. Andy can tell you more hopefully he'll chime in here.
I have noticed the temps becoming much tighter the more I have cooked with it but I haven't cooked with it enough with all other things equal yet to get it dialed in perfectly. I have noticed far less flucuation than I typically had in other uninsulated pellet cookers.

HoDeDo
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Sean is correct... It gets tighter and tighter. Without getting into too much of how it all works... it is constantly checking itself against various tables and zeroing in as it goes.

The controller is pretty darn smart, IT also has multiple startup modes to help address cooking in cold/colder weather... Simply dial in H1/H2/H3 depending on how cold it is outside, and how hot you want to cook.

Finally, the fact that the body is 10 Gauge steel and not thinner stuff, it holds heat much better, and combats wind/rain alot better than what you see with other cookers. So combine a body that deals better with thermal issues, and a great controller, and it is rocks!

I have not graphed it but if I remember my conversation with Don correctly the board is intelligent and is designed to keep the temp within X degrees based on a feed rate from the last few cooks. Andy can tell you more hopefully he'll chime in here.
I have noticed the temps becoming much tighter the more I have cooked with it but I haven't cooked with it enough with all other things equal yet to get it dialed in perfectly. I have noticed far less flucuation than I typically had in other uninsulated pellet cookers.

JimmyDAL
01-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Chris, Gonna have it for the Class?

Bigdog
01-03-2012, 07:21 PM
I too plan on getting one. I have cooked on one at Andy's cooking classes and fell in love with them. Although I am not a comp cook, this smoker would make a great comp cooker IMHO. It is very versatile and can both grill or smoke. Recovery time is awesome as week as its ability to change temps quickly.

HarleyGirl14226
01-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Chris, Gonna have it for the Class?

Yes... Inquiring minds want to know... :-P

ique
01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes... Inquiring minds want to know... :-P

Yes. I'll have this cooker at the class. We'll do a large % of the class cook though on a BWS Fatboy.

JimmyDAL
01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Awesome!

AbleAcresBBQ
01-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I have been using a 640 at home for about 3 months and really like the results so far. I had a control board issue that was promptly taken care of and I've gotten excellent customer support. As Hoss mentioned, I think it consumes a lot of pellets but I have not used any other type of pellet smoker and can't compare it to what others might consider normal. It does have occassional temp. swings but those are less frequent with the new contol board. (version 20 I think) They also sent me the new fire grate with additional holes in it and that seems to bring it up to temp much quicker than before. It gets a little hot on each end. I agree that the top rack is great for ribs. I got mine with the hopes of improving my chicken but have haven't really gotten into that yet. I hate chicken and haven't been inspired enough to work on it yet so the verdict is still out. I have cooked a lot of good ribs, pork, brisket and a few whole chuck rolls on it as well as burgers and steaks.

Gary

HarleyGirl14226
01-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Yes. I'll have this cooker at the class. We'll do a large % of the class cook though on a BWS Fatboy.

Very cool indeed. Kevin and I were already looking at them this past month online but with no local dealer in our area - we were a little hesitant to purchase one without checking it out first...
See you in February! :-D

ique
01-05-2012, 08:47 AM
What? No Jambo? Can i use it when i come out east?:becky:

Sure, why not? Nothing like getting beat by your own pit!

:)

HoDeDo
01-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Sure, why not? Nothing like getting beat by your own pit!:)

Scottie beat me too it... I was going to do the same thing :)

Kit R
01-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Sure, why not? Nothing like getting beat by your own pit!

:)

I think that in exchange you should require Scottie to hook you up with power from that 6500 watt Honda generator he hucks around. Since he won't be needing it with the Jambo.......:idea:

Scottie
01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I think that in exchange you should require Scottie to hook you up with power from that 6500 watt Honda generator he hucks around. Since he won't be needing it with the Jambo.......:idea:

Hey, I have 2 AC units and 2 fridges going. Plus my audio system, directv, microwave, coffee pot... i may have just a little extra power... :becky:

ique
01-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Hey, I have 2 AC units and 2 fridges going. Plus my audio system, directv, microwave, coffee pot... i may have just a little extra power... :becky:

Yeah, why am I not surprised you cart around a microwave :tsk:

Scottie
01-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah, why am I not surprised you cart around a microwave :tsk:

I learned it from QUAU.... It's really for my microwaveable popcorn i like to eat...:thumb:

Bigdog
01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I learned it from QUAU.... It's really for my microwaveable popcorn i like to eat...:thumb:

Micro Carmel corn is even better.:cool:

Kit R
01-06-2012, 10:43 PM

Make sure you park close to me so I can run my CPAP, VitaMix and Looft Lighter. The Looft Lighter is the big draw, though and 4000 watts might not be enough.

ique
01-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Woot!

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/ccf0f7e2.jpg

JD McGee
01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Woot!

Sweet! :thumb: Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you...:cool:

5am
01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Woot!

Looks crated well! Really nice people to work with there at Yoder. Going to put a review on here of the pit?? :becky:

Smitty250
01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I started competing on WSM's in 2009. Since then I bought a Diamond Plate Fat40 and sold it after about 1 year of competing. When I sold my Fat40 I looked into Pellet Poopers. I first started looking at the Louisisna Grills (Whole Hog) and borrowed one for a few competitions. I was almost ready to purchase one then I saw the Yoder YS640. I ended up buying the Yoder and had a few issues with it. I went through 3 different panels and the Temps were all over the place. I do have to say that Yoder and BBQ Island in Tempe where I purchased it were very accomodating and did everything they could to help me out. Yoder actually sent me a new panel overnight shipping free of cost - and BBQ Island did the same. I had an employee of BBQ Island come to my house to install the new panel, move the temp probe, and update the panel with new software. While he was there testing the unit - he moved it a little bit and the plug came out of the back - Instantly the panel "blew up". There were sparks and smoke coming out of it. Time for panel number 3!! It got fixed and I had a competition coming up so I took it. The temps had me sweating - I was getting readings from 150 - 400. I decided to take it back in and get WSM's. Back to where I started. For me - I do not want the stress of constantly worring about some electrical issue out at a comp. I do have Pitmaster IQ's on my WSM's but I can still run them consistently if needed if electricy goes out. I do like the look/build of the Yoder and I have heard that alot of the "bugs" have been worked out. I hope this helps.

HoDeDo
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Can't wait to see it uncrated.

ique
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Can't wait to see it uncrated.

Just fired her up. Was up to 250* in about 20 minutes in 28* weather. Control panel temp and thermoworks probe thermometer are within a few degrees of each other. Rib cook is planned for tomorrow:clap2:

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/IMG_3005.jpg

Hopper

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/IMG_3015.jpg

Firepot & damper

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/IMG_3009.jpg

Damper pushed in to create two zone cooking

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/IMG_3010.jpg

Heat diffuser

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/IMG_3011.jpg

Cooking grates

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/IMG_3013.jpg

Grease catch and two trailer tie downs on beam

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/IMG_3018.jpg

Front stainless shelf installed

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr43/Hart2001/IMG_3016.jpg

Candy Sue
01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for sharing pix, Chris. Is the work shelf on the front workable for a short person? Can it be left off. I do like the comp cart, that's pretty sweet. <shameless plug>You got good pellets?

ique
01-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for sharing pix, Chris. Is the work shelf on the front workable for a short person? Can it be left off. I do like the comp cart, that's pretty sweet. <shameless plug>You got good pellets?

Hey Candy Sue! Both the side and front shelves are removable. The first pic shows the front shelf off. And the last pic shows the shelf on. It's a couple inches lower than the stainless shelf on the Jambo. Seems pretty low to me.

Bought a 100lbs of your pecan pellets today and saw a demo bag of your new charcoal pellets. Bet that would work well in this pit, the 640 is supposed to do well with grilling and high temp cooking.

boogiesnap
01-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Nice selection with pecan.

Good looking cooker too.

MrWenzel
01-20-2012, 08:13 PM
I am also very interested it getting the latest review of the YS640. I owned a YS640 and had it sent back. I replaced almost everything on the smoker and was still having issues. I had my issues with it, but still might consider getting one. If they were able to fix the problems that I was having. It was built like a tank. Joe and Don wanted it to work for me, but the issues they had was there employees not sending the right stuff out to fix it. I had the unit for a few months and was planning on using it at a comp. After not being able to use it for a comp. It just pushed me over the edge so I had to send it back. Good luck to all the Yoder owners.

dmprantz
01-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Charcoal pellets??? What's a brotha gotta do to get a sample of those?

Candy Sue
01-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Hey Candy Sue! Both the side and front shelves are removable. The first pic shows the front shelf off. And the last pic shows the shelf on. It's a couple inches lower than the stainless shelf on the Jambo. Seems pretty low to me.

Bought a 100lbs of your pecan pellets today and saw a demo bag of your new charcoal pellets. Bet that would work well in this pit, the 640 is supposed to do well with grilling and high temp cooking.

How's the lift on the lid? First couple of times I cooked on the Jambo, I ended up with a bit of muscle strain pushing the lid up. I know Yoders are built like tanks. I can't see any counterweight on the lid.

I do crazy things at comps sometimes. I cooked one in August last year completely with charcoal pellets. Not bad on the big meats, but not enough umph for ribs & chicken, IMO. Interesting thing though, normally the pellet Jambo uses 60 lbs. in moderate weather to cook a competition. With charcoal pellets I got by with 40 lbs. BTU boost big-time. Charcoal pellets are a mix of oak and wood char leavings (lump). I think next time I use them I'll try mixing them in with other flavors to get the extended burn but not sacrifice flavor. I'm thinking sleep in 4 hour bits rather than 3 hours.

My favorite new flavor is the wine soaked oak. Really good stuff, made from small sqares of 1/4" (or so) oak, soaked in red wine to leach the tannins out. Modern day "barrel" aging -- the wine soaks all the way through the wood. First batch of pellets we did 100% soaked oak. Pellets were too hard to go through a solid core auger (worked fine in the pellet Jambo - open auger). Redid them with a blend and now they work fine in any pellet grill.

Candy Sue
01-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Charcoal pellets??? What's a brotha gotta do to get a sample of those?

You going to Young Harris, GA next weekend?

ique
01-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I am also very interested it getting the latest review of the YS640. I owned a YS640 and had it sent back. I replaced almost everything on the smoker and was still having issues. I had my issues with it, but still might consider getting one. If they were able to fix the problems that I was having. It was built like a tank. Joe and Don wanted it to work for me, but the issues they had was there employees not sending the right stuff out to fix it. I had the unit for a few months and was planning on using it at a comp. After not being able to use it for a comp. It just pushed me over the edge so I had to send it back. Good luck to all the Yoder owners.

Yup, I read about some issues with this unit earlier on. Seems they have some of that stuff licked with the new firmware. Will report back on how it works out for me

ique
01-21-2012, 09:04 AM
How's the lift on the lid? First couple of times I cooked on the Jambo, I ended up with a bit of muscle strain pushing the lid up. I know Yoders are built like tanks. I can't see any counterweight on the lid.

No problem on the lid, there is a counterweight. I think the bigger question for you is if you wanted to bring to a comp, its probably a two person job getting it off/on a trailer. Probably weighs in around 500 lbs but moves pretty good with those wheels.

I'll be getting in touch with a pellet order soon

Charcoalloungers
01-21-2012, 12:15 PM

I do crazy things at comps sometimes. I cooked one in August last year completely with charcoal pellets. Not bad on the big meats, but not enough umph for ribs & chicken, IMO. Interesting thing though, normally the pellet Jambo uses 60 lbs. in moderate weather to cook a competition. With charcoal pellets I got by with 40 lbs. BTU boost big-time. Charcoal pellets are a mix of oak and wood char leavings (lump). I think next time I use them I'll try mixing them in with other flavors to get the extended burn but not sacrifice flavor. I'm thinking sleep in 4 hour bits rather than 3 hours.

My favorite new flavor is the wine soaked oak. Really good stuff, made from small sqares of 1/4" (or so) oak, soaked in red wine to leach the tannins out. Modern day "barrel" aging -- the wine soaks all the way through the wood. First batch of pellets we did 100% soaked oak. Pellets were too hard to go through a solid core auger (worked fine in the pellet Jambo - open auger). Redid them with a blend and now they work fine in any pellet grill. Picked up some of your new wine soaked pellets and the charcoal pellets from the Parrothead. Awesome stuff there!:hail:

Scottie
01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Candy's pellets have won a lot of awards for my team over the years. While I'll be cooking on the Jambo this year. Im not putting away my pellet cookers. I'll still be using my pellet cookers. I enjoy cooking on them and the flavors they produce. And those wine soaked pellets are awesome. I got some from the orginal batch and use them on my Webers. Just awesome with lamb and include it with some BBQr's Delight Herb pellets and you got a killer leg of lamb..

Golden Toad BBQ
01-23-2012, 12:39 PM
YS640 w/ comp cart showed up last week... Seasoned her this weekend with some wings using BBQr's Delight Apple...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408717_327952823902337_100000628666040_1084494_182 4766851_n.jpg

Candy Sue
01-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Candy's pellets have won a lot of awards for my team over the years. While I'll be cooking on the Jambo this year. Im not putting away my pellet cookers. I'll still be using my pellet cookers. I enjoy cooking on them and the flavors they produce. And those wine soaked pellets are awesome. I got some from the orginal batch and use them on my Webers. Just awesome with lamb and include it with some BBQr's Delight Herb pellets and you got a killer leg of lamb..

I've got a stash of those 100% wine soaked pellets -- not available anymore. Too hard to go through closed auger system, but work fine with open-type augers. Like my Jambo or Grilla. I use mostly on the BGE for steak and burgers.

Golden Toad BBQ
01-23-2012, 02:36 PM
I've got a stash of those 100% wine soaked pellets -- not available anymore. Too hard to go through closed auger system, but work fine with open-type augers. Like my Jambo or Grilla. I use mostly on the BGE for steak and burgers.

Candy Sue... Charcoal pellets? I didn't read the entire post, but I am curious. Are they available? Where can I get them?

Thanks!
Toad

Muzzlebrake
01-23-2012, 09:39 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408717_327952823902337_100000628666040_1084494_182 4766851_n.jpg

I have cart envy!

Golden Toad BBQ
01-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks Muzzlebrake!

Don & his team did a great job with the cart!!!

Candy Sue
01-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Candy Sue... Charcoal pellets? I didn't read the entire post, but I am curious. Are they available? Where can I get them?

Thanks!
Toad

bbqrsdelight.com or bigpoppasmokers.com

Golden Toad BBQ
01-26-2012, 09:00 AM
bbqrsdelight.com or bigpoppasmokers.com

Still can't find the charcoal pellets... Are they not available yet?

boogiesnap
01-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Still can't find the charcoal pellets... Are they not available yet?

they're on this page. 2nd item down on the left.

http://store.bbqrsdelight.com/cat-pellet-grill-fuel.cfm

Golden Toad BBQ
01-26-2012, 10:59 AM
they're on this page. 2nd item down on the left.

http://store.bbqrsdelight.com/cat-pellet-grill-fuel.cfm

Thank you!

boogiesnap
01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
no sweat.

Big Poppa
01-27-2012, 08:19 AM
we have them on our site too...look under pelets

Golden Toad BBQ
01-27-2012, 08:24 AM
we have them on our site too...look under pelets

Thanks Big Poppa!