PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Beans

kcquer
06-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Tim, great looking stack of fuel ya got there.
I use a "cut off" saw to make the chunks the size of a cigarette pack or smaller.

My bandsaw, chop saw and table saw all see duty making wood "my size" (I feel a Tim Taylor grunt coming on). Let me know how your pellet experiment comes out.
I hear for brisket, that mesquite beans (seeds I assume) work very well in a WSM, I also hear because they work so well, they're exceedingly hard to find.

brdbbq
06-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Never heard of Mesquite Beans ?

MrSmoker
06-27-2005, 08:40 AM
I have two Mesquite trees and never thought about useing the beans.I'll give it a try and let you know.

kcquer
06-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Just did a google on mesquite beans. Used as a food stuff by Native Americans, usually in pinole. Found recipes for mesquite bean jelly, several for using the ground beans as flour etc...

Did find them for sale also.

Wherever I originally read about using the beans in a WSM said they are milder than using the wood and present less danger of becoming too harsh.

tommykendall
06-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a great idea. When doing my last couple briskets on the WSM I've used two fist size chunks of mesquite and 3 of hickory.

jgh1204
06-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Wonder if ebony beans wood work, get it, wood work......, got plenty of ebony beans on the ebony tree.