PDA

View Full Version : Backwoods owners--Water Usage Question

kennedyma
12-28-2011, 09:36 PM
I got a new backwoods Gater a few weeks back and have been cooking like a mad man on it. The on thing I haven't done is a long overnight cook with it.

I'm planning on doing one this weekend and had a few questions.

I have a stoker so that should help in the fuel department

Questions:
1. How long should I expect a load of briquettes to last. K or Stubbs this is also assuming I top off the fuel once the cooker is up to temp.

2. Assuming 225-250 cooker temp. How long does a full water pan last? Can I make 8 hours??

Thanks all for any input!!!!

smokinit
12-29-2011, 08:54 AM
K will burn longer than stubbs and if you mound up that fire box that 8 to 10 hr mark is typical. The water though will be pushing it.6 hrs and its getting pretty low.

bander7003
12-29-2011, 09:13 AM
That's pretty much dead on. I typically need to re-fill the water pan during a long cook, but I rarely need to re-fill the charcol. I can get up to 12 hours buring at 225 on a single load.

Brewmaster
12-29-2011, 09:18 AM
When I had my backwoods I would also need to refill the water before the charcoal. I also had a heat diverter which makes a huge difference in water consumption.

To add more water I would take a gallon jug and dump it down the chimney. This kept me from having to open the door and loose heat. Your temp will drop enough just from adding the water.

Cheers,
Nate

kennedyma
12-29-2011, 09:26 AM
When I had my backwoods I would also need to refill the water before the charcoal. I also had a heat diverter which makes a huge difference in water consumption.

To add more water I would take a gallon jug and dump it down the chimney. This kept me from having to open the door and loose heat. Your temp will drop enough just from adding the water.

Cheers,
Nate

Now there's an idea!!!! What a great tip!!!! Heck even if you open the chamber to check levels it's still easier then adding water though the front..

I do have the heat diverter, so I should get about 6 hours with the water.

Thanks all for the info. If anybody else has other thoughts please chime in.