PDA

View Full Version : Winter Queing at last

smokainmuskoka
12-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Brethren,
After several months of mild but rainy weekends, when I was unable to keep my chimney starter lit, we are finally getting our normal cold, snowy climate in my part of the world(Central Ontario, Canada). The temp outside is about 16F.
I am celebrating by firing up the Weber kettle and doing 2 racks of baby backs. I'll post some prOn later, probably next week.
Happy New Year in advance,
Matt

Kathy's Smokin'
12-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Congrats!

I have to finish a few mods on the COS and will start Q'ing again soon. I have more time to get lost in hours of smoke in winter than in summer -- and so inspired by the success of brethren without ceramic smokers. Pron coming from me in January.

southernstyle
12-28-2011, 04:53 PM
it was a comfy 72 today in south fl. happy queing :-D

---k---
12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Winter Queing is good stuff. I think a layer of snow makes the sweet blue look even sweeter and drives the neighbors crazier.

kihrer
12-28-2011, 07:55 PM
it was a comfy 72 today in south fl. happy queing :-D
:mad::mad::mad2::mad2: I'm cooking a brisket tomorrow and while it will only be in the 30s I'd much rather it be in the 70s. Oh well the que must go on.

Also, I grabbed the last remaining 4 bags Royal Oak at the WalMart tonight and I bet they won't be getting more in anytime soon. Good thing I only use it as the initial coal bed.

smokainmuskoka
12-28-2011, 08:05 PM
As things turned out, the ribs turned out very well indeed. The kettle kept the heat far better than I had anticipated and after 3 hours, I foiled them with a splash of cranberry ginger-ale to keep 'em moist. Then into the oven at 250F to finish 'em off.
Sauced 'em and they were a big hit. So much so, I forgot to take any pictures of the finished product.
Fear not - more attempts to come.

martyleach
12-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Glad they came out good! I forget to take pictures about half the time. Oh well!