PDA

View Full Version : • Treated myself to a couple new blades...

Phrasty
12-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Passed by my Chinese Market this morning and I couldn't resist treating myself so some nice chinese blades. Not comparing them to my Japanese folded damascus steel... but I'm definitely happy with the little gift to myself. Thought I'd show off a bit... :becky:

From right to left:
I've seen some good reviews of the little Thai Kiwi knives on here and I saw them in the store so I picked up a pair of those! Man these things are RAZOR SHARP!! Then I picked up a nice looking Shibazi stainless chinese prep knife and a nice heavy chinese cleaver!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/phrasty/da4218ce.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/phrasty/a257da10.jpg

Can't wait to use them! :heh:
Cheers

Phubar
12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Nice haul Brother Ph.!

kyle corn
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Cool knives!

Just FYI (in case you don't know) Chinese cleavers are designed for vegetable prep. The longer ones can be used for slicing proteins, but they are not like western cleavers that are meant for butchering.

Phrasty
12-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Cool knives!

Just FYI (in case you don't know) Chinese cleavers are designed for vegetable prep. The longer ones can be used for slicing proteins, but they are not like western cleavers that are meant for butchering.

Hey Kyle... Thanks Brother! Very aware. The shibazi is a veg prep knife however the other one is a meat cleaver due to the more curved blade and a much heavier & thicker blade stock! But thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers

Myrdhyn
12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm interested to hear what you think about the Thai Kiwi knives. We love ours so much that we ended up giving out a few sets of those for Christmas this year. Initial reports from everyone that got a set have been very positive and matched our (my wife and I) experiences with them.

bigabyte
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Very nice!:thumb:

Captain P.J.
12-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Now that's a knife!!

colonel00
12-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Nice self score! I have the smaller Kiwi Chef and Paring knives and love them. Plus, at their cost, I don't have to worry about damaging them. Had them over a year now and still fine and when they go it is just another $10 for a new pair.

tortaboy
12-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey Phrasty,

Your cooks always looks so tender, I didn't think you needed any knives!:wink:

BigBobBQ
12-27-2011, 04:25 PM
nice set of knives there.

tish
12-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Those are some beautiful knives there, Phrasty! I'm lovin' the big cleaver. Right now, I'm working with a cleaver that has a chunk taken out of the distal end of the blade. Don't ask how I managed that. :roll: I'm looking to get another, but have limited funds with which to work. Any suggestions for a less expensive cleaver that would do the job for me?

Phrasty
12-27-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm interested to hear what you think about the Thai Kiwi knives. We love ours so much that we ended up giving out a few sets of those for Christmas this year. Initial reports from everyone that got a set have been very positive and matched our (my wife and I) experiences with them.

Haven;t gotten a chance to really use them yet but so far i like them. I can see myself reaching for one instead of my globals and not have a problem... I'll report back after a couple uses but so far I'm definitely liking them!

Nice self score! I have the smaller Kiwi Chef and Paring knives and love them. Plus, at their cost, I don't have to worry about damaging them. Had them over a year now and still fine and when they go it is just another $10 for a new pair.

My thoughts exactly! :thumb:

Those are some beautiful knives there, Phrasty! I'm lovin' the big cleaver. Right now, I'm working with a cleaver that has a chunk taken out of the distal end of the blade. Don't ask how I managed that. :roll: I'm looking to get another, but have limited funds with which to work. Any suggestions for a less expensive cleaver that would do the job for me?

Tish, got this cleaver for about 15 bucks... I say try find a good cheap knife for now cuz damaged knives can be dangerous! Just be careful... :wink:

Cheers

Midnight Smoke
12-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Now with that arsenal you can do some serious work. They sure are nice looking too.

landarc
12-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Nice haul Phrasty.

Tish, if you are looking for a heavy chopping cleaver, look at used stores, they often languish there.

tish
12-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks, landarc! I would never have thought of looking at 2nd hand stores for a cleaver. Ya learn something new every day!! :wink:

SirPorkaLot
12-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Nice haul Phrasty.

Tish, if you are looking for a heavy chopping cleaver, look at used stores, they often languish there.

Some nice cast iron kitchenware can be found there as well :becky:

Phrasty: One can't have too many knives. Looks great!