PDA

View Full Version : first cook

Hause
12-26-2011, 11:14 PM
been reading the forums for a while and decided to build a uds a few weeks ago. got to fire it up today and cooked my first piece. for this I chose a boston butt pork shoulder. Chose an off the shelf kc rub that I applied about 45 min before placing it the uds. UDS temp started out about 250 degrees at about 10am when I placed the meat. Temp went up and down quite a bit, as low as 220 and as high as 350. Temp was some what tough to control for some reason. I didnt let that bother me too much though. After 6 hours internal temp was about 160 so i foiled it. Temp hit 207 about 1.25 hours later. let it rest for 30 min. my wife unwrapped and had it cut up before i could snap a pic. turned out great. will try to add a pic later

el_matt
12-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Right on, congratulations on a sucessfull first UDS cook/build. It's taken me a while to learn, but make ONE small adjustment at a time. Wait about 10-15 minutes, and see what happens. Look forward to seeing some pron.

Matt

stin187
12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Congrats on the first cook! Looking forward to doing my first one in the next few days if the weather cooperates.

NolanB
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
That's great Hause, sounds like a success to me. I did my 1st cook on a uds about a week ago and I just did a turkey for Christmas. Just be patient and like Matt said, make minor adjustments at a time, take notes of what you do and before you know, it will all be second nature.
Congratulations!

southernstyle
12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
great first cook :thumb:

BigBobBQ
12-27-2011, 12:57 PM
congrats on your first cook, hopefully the first of many, many more.

Hause
12-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks all,

I tried to upload the pics off my phone but could resize for some reason, due to crappy go phone I guess. I do plan to do another pork shoulder in the future, next time I'll try a marinade. But I think for my next cook I'll try ribs. I am hoping the weather cooperates this coming weekend... This stuff sure is fun and a bit adictive. :becky: