PDA

View Full Version : Weber OTG to WSM??

LittleDick'sBBQ
12-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Greetings,

My beautiful wife has said I can go from my two Weber One Touch Gold grills to a Weber Smokey Mountain. However, I am not sure I want a WSM. Truth is, I am pretty happy with the OTGs. What have others who have taken this step noticed?

Should I take her up on her offer? I was thinking of holding off a while and getting a Backwoods Smoker, Stumps, or similar cooker.

Currently, I am strictly a weekend schmoker with aspirations of possibly(!) competing.

Thanks,
Little Dick

Flat_Rate
12-26-2011, 09:46 PM
I'd love to have a Stumps, but the price is way out of my reach. I went with a WSM and a UDS, more than enough room to cook whatever I need.

LittleDick'sBBQ
12-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks Flat Rate,

Is it a matter of enough room, or is the WSM superior for other reasons?

Little Dick

caseydog
12-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Greetings,

My beautiful wife has said I can go from my two Weber One Touch Gold grills to a Weber Smokey Mountain. However, I am not sure I want a WSM. Truth is, I am pretty happy with the OTGs. What have others who have taken this step noticed?

Should I take her up on her offer? I was thinking of holding off a while and getting a Backwoods Smoker, Stumps, or similar cooker.

Currently, I am strictly a weekend schmoker with aspirations of possibly(!) competing.

Thanks,
Little Dick

I made that transition about about eight months ago. I have both, and I'm telling you the truth, the WSM is much easier to smoke on. I love my Master's Touch (what they used to call the OTG in 1995 when i bought mine) for grilling, or doing a small, short smoke (pork tenderloin or a meat loaf). But, my WSM is sooooooo much better, and sooooo much easier to do a long smoke on.

I used the Master's Touch for 16 years, and I plan to use the WSM for at least that long, and still use my kettles.

Get the WSM! You will not be disappointed. Keep one of the OTGs for grilling.

CD

Ron_L
12-26-2011, 09:56 PM
A WSM will give you more room, especially the 22.5" model, but more importantly you'll get better temp control and much longer burn times. Smoking on a Weber kettle works well, but you're limit in space and in the amount of fuel that you can get in there without reloading. I've had my WSM run at 240 degrees for over 20 hours on one load of charcoal.

A Backwoods or Stumps will also give you an increase in capacity and much longer burn times, plus those cookers add insulation, which can be nice during the winter and can be a benefit at competitions since you have to cook in any weather. Lots of folks do well with WSMs or UDS at comps, too, but I have seen then struggle in extreme weather.

Flat_Rate
12-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks Flat Rate,

Is it a matter of enough room, or is the WSM superior for other reasons?

Little Dick

Honestly it was based on reviews here, I was up in the air on what to get but I am happy with my WSM, and in the process of building another drum. Temp control is easy on both units, once you get them dialed in they both hold temp for hours.

I would say that if you can afford a Stumps, all I have heard is fantastic things about em, I'll have one someday.

Zin
12-26-2011, 10:30 PM
LD, how about getting a otg 26.75, very easy to smoke on and plenty of room, easy to control temps.

AustinKnight
12-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Build a UDS it cost probably 100 bucks depending on if you can find a cheap 55 gal drum, then use that for awhile tell you want to step up to something more expensive like a stumps. A WSM is a good smoker and in my opinion will give you a lot better bbq then a kettle will but if you're talking about upgrading to a stump later on or even thinking about it then I would build a uds.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Cabin Fever
12-26-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm one of the few folks here that actually prefers smoking on my OTG over a WSM. I only wish I would have gotten a 26" OTG so I could do a brisket and a butt at the same time. Some folks complain about smoking on a Weber kettle, but to me it's the easiest cooker I've ever used and I use to own two WSM's. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

BTW, a baby Stumps is my dream smoker. :pray:

troytime
12-27-2011, 01:24 AM
i'd go for the cajun bandit. convert one of your OTG to a full sized smoker.

it's not quite as easy as the WSM, but it'll get hotter easier - and it will still function as a grill (just lower)

LittleDick'sBBQ
12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
i'd go for the cajun bandit. convert one of your OTG to a full sized smoker.

it's not quite as easy as the WSM, but it'll get hotter easier - and it will still function as a grill (just lower)

troytime,

Thanks, that's not a bad idea. I currently have two OTGs; one could be converted with the Cajun Bandit (My older OTG already has wobbly legs!). I am guessing the Cajun Bandit shorter legs are necessary to lower the top of the unit? Can I leave the long legs on or will it look like a water tower in Hooterville??

Little Dick

LittleDick'sBBQ
12-27-2011, 09:47 AM
LD, how about getting a otg 26.75, very easy to smoke on and plenty of room, easy to control temps.

Thanks Zin,

At $299.00, the 26.75 OTG is kinda spendy. Since I already have two grills, I should probably spend the extra $100 for the WSM, no?

Little Dick

deguerre
12-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I turned my Performer into a smoker with the Cajun Bandit and love it:

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/clscoreandcajunbandit.jpg?t=1300320216

If you have an OTG though, I'd be worried a wee bit about the stability of using the original legs and would most definitely install the Bandit legs. This is why I converted my Performer instead of my OTS.

LittleDick'sBBQ
12-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Build a UDS it cost probably 100 bucks depending on if you can find a cheap 55 gal drum, then use that for awhile tell you want to step up to something more expensive like a stumps. A WSM is a good smoker and in my opinion will give you a lot better bbq then a kettle will but if you're talking about upgrading to a stump later on or even thinking about it then I would build a uds.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Thanks AustinKnight,

I actually have someone nearby who will sell me an already-made UDS; I just have to connect. Perhaps I will hear more from him after the holidays.

I do fear using a WSM or UDS as a "stop-gap" on the way to a Stump's or Backwoods. That could get $$ too!

Little Dick

Little Dick

jsperk
12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Here is his item as well. I think most people like the cajun bandit better. This one looks good also though.
http://smoke-ez.com/index.php

LittleDick'sBBQ
12-27-2011, 10:04 AM

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/clscoreandcajunbandit.jpg?t=1300320216

If you have an OTG though, I'd be worried a wee bit about the stability of using the original legs and would most definitely install the Bandit legs. This is why I converted my Performer instead of my OTS.

Thanks deguerre,

That's not a bad plan. My local HD currently has the Performer on sale for $199.00. How do you find the height? Is it too high?

Little Dick

BluesDaddy
12-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Of course, you could skip all of the conversion stuff and just get a PartyQ or similar temp controller and keep your webers as they are. Temp controllers make keeping a steady temp a breeze.

jsperk
12-27-2011, 10:06 AM

That is nice. How long of a smoke do you get with that setup?

deguerre
12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks deguerre,

That's not a bad plan. My local HD currently has the Performer on sale for $199.00. How do you find the height? Is it too high?

Little Dick

I'm 5'5" and the only problem I have is pouring two gallons or so of boiling water over the top lip. I suppose I could use two smaller pots instead of the 12 qt stock pot or get a kitchen step...:roll:

LittleDick'sBBQ
12-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Here is his item as well. I think most people like the cajun bandit better. This one looks good also though.
http://smoke-ez.com/index.php

Thanks jsperk,

The Smoke E Z has no door. Is that a deal-killer? Do you know the cost? The Cajun Bandit is $225.00 US.

Little Dick

deguerre
12-27-2011, 11:07 AM
That is nice. How long of a smoke do you get with that setup?

The longest cook I've done so far was only 10~11 hours with tons of fuel leftover. It pretty much cooks like a WSM.

boogiesnap
12-27-2011, 11:08 AM
just get the farkin WSM already. :wink:

deguerre
12-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks jsperk,

The Smoke E Z has no door. Is that a deal-killer? Do you know the cost? The Cajun Bandit is $225.00 US.

Little Dick

The door sealed the deal for me as I use water for the heat sink and if you have to replace it (Or add fuel for that matter) during a cook...

jsperk
12-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks jsperk,

Little Dick

I think it was like $130 plus shipping.

troytime
12-27-2011, 11:36 AM
troytime,

Thanks, that's not a bad idea. I currently have two OTGs; one could be converted with the Cajun Bandit (My older OTG already has wobbly legs!). I am guessing the Cajun Bandit shorter legs are necessary to lower the top of the unit? Can I leave the long legs on or will it look like a water tower in Hooterville??

Little Dick

I did my first cajun bandit smoke on the 3 wobbly legs of the kettle. It wasn't TOO bad - but I wouldn't make a habit of it. It convinced me to install the cajun bandit legs.

I'm sure it'd be more sturdy on a performer, but then getting meat off the lower rack might be challenging.

Thanks jsperk,

Little Dick

I looked at the smoke-ez as well. It's like 40 bucks cheaper, but the lack of door and big ugly glaring logo turned me off.

I'm really happy with my bandit. I painted it red so I could use an old red kettle.

http://meatninja.com/4-webers.jpg

LittleDick'sBBQ
12-27-2011, 11:38 AM
just get the farkin WSM already. :wink:

'tis a real consideration...but since I already have two OTGs, and folks suggest the vent/ash catcher on the OTG is superior to the WSM...

Little Dick

deguerre
12-27-2011, 11:43 AM
'tis a real consideration...but since I already have two OTGs, and folks suggest the vent/ash catcher on the OTG is superior to the WSM...

Little Dick

OK, you have 2 OTGs. A Cajun Bandit will make one of them into a virtual 22 1/2" WSM (allowing you to clean out Ash while in operation much easier) for 225 plus shipping and a little elbow grease installing the legs. new 22 1/2" WSM is about 399 plus shipping. You'll still have two grills whenever you need the grate space. Just a little bending over on one of them.

NorthwestBBQ
12-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I highly recommend that you follow Guerry's advice.