PDA

View Full Version : Whole Hog Knowlegde Seeker

Smoke Daddy
12-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Hello Everyone!

Since this is my first post, I'll say Hello, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I have a Tejas Smokers 20x40 offset smoker. Have become pretty good at most things, include the "packer"(whole) briskets. Since I'm up North (Michigan), temperature control becomes a serious challenge.

The only things I now need to conquer are the exotic items: whole hog, goat, etc. The size of my barrel seriously limits what size beast I can prepare. So....here are my questions:

when cooking hogs, is it better to cook "running" position or butterflied on its back? How would you mop it if its NOT on its back?
If hog IS on its back...how do you crisp the skin?
what do YOU feel is the largest hog I can cook in a 20x40 barrel both on its back versus in the "running" position?
And then...there's goat....about which I know NOTHING! LOL

Can't wait to hear from you! Some wonderful knowledge and tips that I've been reading for the last 5 days. Will post pics of my latest attempt: brisket, goose, duck, turkey and a cooked ham with a maple syrup/mustard glaze....

bear with me while I search for an avatar...

Sly-one
12-25-2011, 08:00 PM
I've never cooked a whole hog, but I'm curious to know the answer to you question.
Did you see this thread?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122809

IamMadMan
12-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Hello Everyone!

Since this is my first post, I'll say Hello, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I have a Tejas Smokers 20x40 offset smoker. Have become pretty good at most things, include the "packer"(whole) briskets. Since I'm up North (Michigan), temperature control becomes a serious challenge.

The only things I now need to conquer are the exotic items: whole hog, goat, etc. The size of my barrel seriously limits what size beast I can prepare. So....here are my questions:

when cooking hogs, is it better to cook "running" position or butterflied on its back? How would you mop it if its NOT on its back?
If hog IS on its back...how do you crisp the skin?
what do YOU feel is the largest hog I can cook in a 20x40 barrel both on its back versus in the "running" position?
And then...there's goat....about which I know NOTHING! LOL

Can't wait to hear from you! Some wonderful knowledge and tips that I've been reading for the last 5 days. Will post pics of my latest attempt: brisket, goose, duck, turkey and a cooked ham with a maple syrup/mustard glaze....

bear with me while I search for an avatar...

I on my own have never cooked a pig by myself, I have helped a friend cook several pigs for my gatherings and for his as well. We cook these on a cut in half heating oil tank (500 gallon I think).

We purchase the pig from the butcher already butterflied. To limit waste and expense we purchase a small pig 40 - 50 pounds and purchase a case of pork butts.

Th pig will have about 50 percent waste at a higher price per pound due to bones, skin, feet, ears, ect.... While the pork butts will have about 20 percent waste due to bone and fat.

We cook the pig with open belly down over charcoal and add wood chunks for smoke. We take shifts maintaining the cooker with charcoal and wood. at 16 hours before the event we add or put on a separate smoker the case of pork butts into the smoker. when the butts reach 190 internally we foil them and then wrap the foiled buts in newspaper and set them into coolers and cambros.

The pig takes about 22-24 hours. We start with the meat from the sides and as we pull that we put the hams and shoulders on direct heat to make sure they are at a good temperature. If they need more time we start shredding the extra butts until we can use the rest of the pig.

We do not mop or add liquids, but we do have a large water pan under the baffle to help control heat spikes when we add more fuel/wood.

With the cover tightly closed the skin crisps as it renders down. We do cut pieces and make crisps for those who want them, but mainly our request if for fatty soft cooked skin for use in making spaghetti sauce.

superdan
12-25-2011, 09:21 PM
I have a Gator 24x40 and I have done half hog. It fit just about perfect and I think it (the half) would have fit in your 20x40. The live weight was 120 pounds. I have done whole, smaller hogs on other cookers but IMHO it is better to do half a larger and get the bigger ham, shoulder, loins...

superdan
12-25-2011, 09:31 PM
I shoulda added, head off, skin on, skin side down. Skin was not edible but kept it moist. Cooked to pull in about 12 hours at 225-250. Injected whole thing w/ Chris Lillys. Pulled skin back and applied rub all over meat, including under the skin. Put chicken thighs all over the mid section for first 6 hours of cook...
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa269d-ea6e-ce98.jpg

southernstyle
12-25-2011, 09:39 PM
my favorite size is 50 lbs on the smoker. this should be a good size for your 20 wide cooker. i find belly up is best as it is easier to mop the ribs. i cut the ribs to across the bones to get st luis and baby backs then a 1/4 deep per rib to leave access to the loin, and each rib will easily pull out. try to get your hotter heat source closer to the shoulders as they need to be about 190 internal hams 160. hams may be a little more to achieve the proper doneness in the shoulder. i cook 250 and if your worried about looks then protect the nose feet and ears with foil. hope this helps. good luck

smokeyw
12-26-2011, 05:04 AM
Here is how we cook them in North Carolina.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Comprtition/SmokeontheWater2010004.jpg

JimmyDAL
12-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Nice!