PDA

View Full Version : Jambo Backyard Model Review

mking7
12-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I have mentioned in a few threads that I picked up a Jambo Backyard model last week and have been receiving quite a few PM's from members so I thought I'd start a thread and let other owners jump in.

I already had a J-3 but got tired of dragging it out and putting it up every time I wanted to cook. When I bought my first trailer pit I gifted my backyard pit thinking I'd never cook on that 'little' thing again. After several years I came to the realization that I missed having one. Since I had the J-3 and was happy with the design and quality, the Jambo Backyard was a logical choice for me.

I've cooked on it 3 times so far and if my opinion changes I'll update the thread.

First, this is no small pit. It's 24"x48" plus the fire box. It's big enough to cook IBCA events on. Quality is what you'd expect from Jamie, top notch. I brought it home and sealed the doors as Jamie recommends (rtv on the doors, no rope gasket needed on the firebox door as he has redesigned door on the backyards). The next day I fired it up and seasoned it for about 6 or 8 hours.

I got the chrome stack so it looks almost exactly like my J-3 and cooks almost identically. The insulated firebox really adds to the cooking experience. I was hoping the backyard would be great for practicing on and would behave like the J-3, it does.

The pit (the way I build a fire) seems to like to roll between 250 and 270 with a preference for 270. Your results may be different. My J-3 runs the same which made it perfect for what I wanted. A backyard pit that I can also use to try new processes for competitions.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that the drain just had a plug and not a valve like the big pits. I stopped by Ace Hardware and bought a nipple and a gate valve and solved that issue for $20.

If you're thinking about a backyard offset stick burner you will not be disappointed. You could roll it into the toy hauler or up on the utility trailer and head to a competition if you ever decide to.

If you want to know the wait times, call Jamie. I will tell you that I got mine within a week of getting my money to Jamie but I just happened to hit when he one almost done that wasn't spoken for. Not sure what the normal wait is.

southernstyle
12-20-2011, 09:53 AM
i' ve been looking at the backyard model for some time. maybe this will get me off the fence.

KingRanch450
12-20-2011, 09:58 AM
mking...what do you mean by sealing the doors? I also tried to find your earlier post with the pic of one mounted on a trailer and the sight is not allowing me to search. If you still have that pic can you re-post it. Thanks

mking7
12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
mking...what do you mean by sealing the doors? I also tried to find your earlier post with the pic of one mounted on a trailer and the sight is not allowing me to search. If you still have that pic can you re-post it. Thanks

Scroll down on page 2

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121993&highlight=mking7&page=2

mking7
12-20-2011, 10:17 AM

You run a bead of high temp RTV sealant on the surface where the cook chamber doors touch the pit. You put some grease or oil on the door suface and close the doors. Then you pray you got enough grease on the door so you didn't just weld your doors shut. :)

After the RTV sets up, you open the doors, clean the grease off and trim the excess RTV off and your doors are now air tight. Or in my case, almost air tight. :)

KingRanch450
12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Thank u sir

superdan
12-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't have a jambo (I got a Gator) but I am intrigued by the door sealing step. I guess what confuses me is not so much if I should do it but why the jambo needs it. And I'd think if the jambo needed it maybe I should look into it :shrug:

mking7
12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't have a jambo (I got a Gator) but I am intrigued by the door sealing step. I guess what confuses me is not so much if I should do it but why the jambo needs it. And I'd think if the jambo needed it maybe I should look into it :shrug:

I won't say 'needed' it. I cooked on the J-3 before I sealed the doors and it was pretty tight but you'd get a little smoke leaking out of the doors if you had it choked down. After sealing it you get almost none. But again, it wasn't bad before I did it. I'd think most pits would benefit from this.

Phrasty
12-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I won't say 'needed' it. I cooked on the J-3 before I sealed the doors and it was pretty tight but you'd get a little smoke leaking out of the doors if you had it choked down. After sealing it you get almost none. But again, it wasn't bad before I did it. I'd think most pits would benefit from this.

Thanks for the tip Bruv!

posey's_pork_pit
12-20-2011, 10:54 AM
You run a bead of high temp RTV sealant on the surface where the cook chamber doors touch the pit. You put some grease or oil on the door suface and close the doors. Then you pray you got enough grease on the door so you didn't just weld your doors shut. :)

After the RTV sets up, you open the doors, clean the grease off and trim the excess RTV off and your doors are now air tight. Or in my case, almost air tight. :)

+1 May I suggest using wax paper ~ no need to grease/oil and no sticking to the door.

mking7
12-20-2011, 10:54 PM
+1 May I suggest using wax paper ~ no need to grease/oil and no sticking to the door.

I'm having a hard time envisioning using wax paper but anyone with a purple thermapen is ok in my book. ;)

Schraufy
12-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Every big pit needs to be sealed with that rtv. The first time I did mine I did seal it shut. Thought i had enough oil on it, no I did'nt. Next time I might try wax paper. Thanks for the idea.

mking7
12-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Every big pit needs to be sealed with that rtv. The first time I did mine I did seal it shut. Thought i had enough oil on it, no I did'nt. Next time I might try wax paper. Thanks for the idea.

How did you get them open?

Boshizzle
12-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I used the sealer on my Jambo's doors too. The biggest advantage it gave to my Jambo was add a little cushion when the doors close or I accidentally drop one closed.

kihrer
12-21-2011, 08:55 AM
The only thing I didn't like about it was that the drain just had a plug and not a valve like the big pits. I stopped by Ace Hardware and bought a nipple and a gate valve and solved that issue for $20.

If you're thinking about a backyard offset stick burner you will not be disappointed. You could roll it into the toy hauler or up on the utility trailer and head to a competition if you ever decide to.

If you want to know the wait times, call Jamie. I will tell you that I got mine within a week of getting my money to Jamie but I just happened to hit when he one almost done that wasn't spoken for. Not sure what the normal wait is.

I am glad to see you are enjoying your Backyard. I sure have enjoyed mine.

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the nipple and gate valve?

As an FYI to those of you who may be interested in a Backyard, Jamie starts building them in groups of five. When he is close to having five ordered, he will start building them. Also, he is not the best with email but if you call him he is very happy to talk to you. He's very helpful over the phone and will answer any and all of your questions.

I don't have enough experience with other pits to know how it compares to Gators, Langs, Klose, etc. but I can tell you the 48X24 chamber has lots of room. That extra 4 inches of diameter makes a big difference. Based on Mkings comparison to his J3, this sounds like more and more like a good deal to me. It has enough room to cook a KCBS comp unless you plan on cooking multiple briskets and shoulders and you can either get it with wheels or get a trailer-ready model. For less than $2K you can get a top-notch stick burner that's going to last you a lifetime. The pit weighs close to 700 pounds so if you do plan on moving it on and off of a toy hauler, you better eat your Wheaties and invest in a winch.

Mking, congrats on your new addition!

mking7
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I am glad to see you are enjoying your Backyard. I sure have enjoyed mine.

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the nipple and gate valve?

As an FYI to those of you who may be interested in a Backyard, Jamie starts building them in groups of five. When he is close to having five ordered, he will start building them. Also, he is not the best with email but if you call him he is very happy to talk to you. He's very helpful over the phone and will answer any and all of your questions.

I don't have enough experience with other pits to know how it compares to Gators, Langs, Klose, etc. but I can tell you the 48X24 chamber has lots of room. That extra 4 inches of diameter makes a big difference. Based on Mkings comparison to his J3, this sounds like more and more like a good deal to me. It has enough room to cook a KCBS comp unless you plan on cooking multiple briskets and shoulders and you can either get it with wheels or get a trailer-ready model. For less than $2K you can get a top-notch stick burner that's going to last you a lifetime. The pit weighs close to 700 pounds so if you do plan on moving it on and off of a toy hauler, you better eat your Wheaties and invest in a winch.

Mking, congrats on your new addition!

No part numbers. Just go to any hardware store or plumbing supply and tell them you need a 1 1/4" nipple and gate valve. They'll hook you up.

KingRanch450
12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
I just spoke to Jamie this morning. Super nice guy and he advised he is backed up to the end of June on his big pits! His pits are in demand!

kihrer
12-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I just spoke to Jamie this morning. Super nice guy and he advised he is backed up to the end of June on his big pits! His pits are in demand!

I guess that's a good feeling for him:-D BTW, if he doesn't already have the 48" going, that usually takes 5 weeks.

The Cosmic Pig
12-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I can see the price of the backyard on his website, but how much does adding the trailer option add to the price? Thanks!

gtsum
12-21-2011, 10:10 PM
fine looking pit for sure...and really quite reasonably priced for what you are getting

mking7
12-22-2011, 08:58 AM
fine looking pit for sure...and really quite reasonably priced for what you are getting

Ya, after getting it home and cookin on it for a week (ya, pretty much every day....) I really believe it's a great bang for the buck. Meaning, it cooks just like my J-3 just a little smaller but not small. Insulated firebox is great. I look on Craiglist daily and you'd be surprised how little $2k buys you right now in my part of the country. There are some other really nice options out there too in this price range but if you're wanting to try a Jambo but not ready to commit to a trailer model, you'll really enjoy this one.

Schraufy
12-22-2011, 10:06 AM
How did you get them open?

With enough rage, I just pulled up really hard and got it.

posey's_pork_pit
12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm having a hard time envisioning using wax paper but anyone with a purple thermapen is ok in my book. ;)

Why thank you mking ~ purple is the best!

Now, for the wax paper ~ so, you run your bead of RTV sealant. Then take strips of wax paper and apply to the bead. Make sure the waxy side is against the RTV. Now, close your door and let it set up. The wax paper acts as a barrier between the sealant and the metal. Once the sealant sets up, simply strip the wax paper off. If a little bit of wax paper sticks to the sealant, no big deal. I did this on my firebox door. As you can see, I used a clear sealant and I didn't trim it after it set up. Oh, and I did this over 1 year ago ~ holding up very well if I say so myself. :clap2:

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/rpdereim/100_0803.jpg

kihrer
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
I can see the price of the backyard on his website, but how much does adding the trailer option add to the price? Thanks!

The one in the picture below is $2250.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=4596

desociolou
01-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Hi Ken I also have a new jambo backyard pit. It cooks good but I don't get the smoke taste on my meat I am used to. The heat and smoke come into the chamber above the cooking grills and face up. Does your? I open the doors I can see smoke drift past the meat and out the vent. I used different wodds with the same results. Any ideas on what i am doing wrong or was i just over smoking my meat with my old smoker. it was much small then my new one.

kihrer
01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Desociolou,

I have not had any issues with getting a good smoke flavor. Where are you running your stack damper? I run mine about a quarter to half open depending on the temp I am shooting for.

Use a wrench to adjust the air bar on the firebox door if you need to be able to run higher temps with a 1/4 to 1/2 open damper. Adjust the bar in small increments. You should get plenty of smoke if you aren't running wide open.

desociolou
01-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Ken
Thanks I will follow your advise. Can i assume that you have same configeration as I do. With the the smoke and heat coming into the cooking chamber above the grate and flows to the top. I could post a picture I have also fited the damper door with a digiQ which I can remove as needed. I think I can use all the help I can get with this smoker.
thanks again for your help

Bbq Bubba
01-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Outstanding! :thumb:

kihrer
01-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Ken
Thanks I will follow your advise. Can i assume that you have same configeration as I do. With the the smoke and heat coming into the cooking chamber above the grate and flows to the top. I could post a picture I have also fited the damper door with a digiQ which I can remove as needed. I think I can use all the help I can get with this smoker.
thanks again for your help

My setup is the same. I have a shoot that enters just above the cooking grates. I think this acts as a deflector and helps keep temps even across the chamber.

You must be the gentleman that Bob Trudnack was telling me about last week when I stopped by the BBQ Guru. He said that he had a customer putting a Guru on his Jambo. How is that working for you? How did you mount it?

I think the main thing is to work with your stack damper. I know that I am getting plenty of smoke. My other suggestion would be to call Jamie. He is very helpful and I am sure he could get this figured out for you.

Also, feel free to PM me and I will send you my number if you want to talk.

desociolou
01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
I will send you a PM