PDA

View Full Version : Cold Smoking smoke

Blardov
12-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi all! I'm very new to BBQ so I am still learning learning the lingo on top of learning how to smoke. Anyway...Smoking cheese this weekend and trying a practice run on my WSM. I'm wondering about the smoke. I placed in a coffee can...4 unlit, 3 lit and 1 half fist size chuck of grape wood. The smoke seems very thick (white) meaning not thin blue like when smoking meat. Temp after an hour is steady at 73 degrees.

Given the smoke, does this mean it is not a clean fire and is it because the temp is so low? I know for cold smoking I need to be under 80 but I am curious to know if I am running a bad cook or not.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

thirdeye
12-16-2011, 07:10 PM
By "lit" I'm guessing your talking about briquettes?

When I do a cold smoke with charcoal I light a few small pieces of lump with a torch and use a small amount of chips. I don't worry about opening the lid to add a few more chips from time to time (or another piece of lit lump) as I'm more concerned with smoke than heat. Meaning any heat that escapes is okay by me.

Folks that use briquettes generally start a couple of them and let them ash over, then add some chips.

Whichever method, if your smoke is white, thick or bitter.... your fire and/or draft is not right. Maybe a few more holes in your can are needed. It was a good idea for you to do a practice run without cheese on board.

Hoss
12-16-2011, 08:44 PM
By "lit" I'm guessing your talking about briquettes?

When I do a cold smoke with charcoal I light a few small pieces of lump with a torch and use a small amount of chips. I don't worry about opening the lid to add a few more chips from time to time (or another piece of lit lump) as I'm more concerned with smoke than heat. Meaning any heat that escapes is okay by me.

Folks that use briquettes generally start a couple of them and let them ash over, then add some chips.

Whichever method, if your smoke is white, thick or bitter.... your fire and/or draft is not right. Maybe a few more holes in your can are needed. It was a good idea for you to do a practice run without cheese on board.

Sage advice.Listen to him.

tortaboy
12-16-2011, 11:40 PM
I was planning on cold smoking some cheese tomorrow...but read on another thread that your entire fridge is gonna smell like smoke (Even with the cheese in a closed plastic bag).

Smoke flavored milk is not for my wife's cereal is not gonna score me big points.

Any way to not stink up the fridge without buying an entire new fridge for a 3 pound block of cheese?

muidaq
12-17-2011, 08:24 AM
I was planning on cold smoking some cheese tomorrow...but read on another thread that your entire fridge is gonna smell like smoke (Even with the cheese in a closed plastic bag).

Smoke flavored milk is not for my wife's cereal is not gonna score me big points.

Any way to not stink up the fridge without buying an entire new fridge for a 3 pound block of cheese?

I did not have this experience. I did a double up, though. Plastic wrap on each piece then bags. I just did that for preservation, not smell. Also, do you want to smoke a 3lb block whole? I've only done it once, but cut up into smaller pieces. http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5087/5288263229_a60106e387.jpg

thirdeye
12-17-2011, 09:40 AM

You know, I have heard stories like that for 30 years, maybe some folks smoke cheese that heavily.... but not me. I keep my smoker temps as low as I can, have good airflow, and keep the smoke consistant but light.

My smoke times are usually around 3 hours unless I have a delicate softer cheese, then I leave the blocks on the counter for several hours, then move into a vented plastic bag in the fridge until the next day. This way I know the temp has equalized and I won't get any condensation problems when wrapping and aging. Then I wrap and age for at least 2 days and up to 2 weeks before giving it away. Vacuum sealing is fine, but usually I do an overwrap in wax paper, followed by a foil overwrap (my blocks look like bricks of cream cheese)

tortaboy
12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I did not have this experience. I did a double up, though. Plastic wrap on each piece then bags. I just did that for preservation, not smell. Also, do you want to smoke a 3lb block whole? I've only done it once, but cut up into smaller pieces. http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5087/5288263229_a60106e387.jpg

Thanks. I was planning on cutting the cheese:shock: first.

Mo-Dave
12-17-2011, 11:31 AM

I got to ask, what do you do with leftover smoked meat?

If you let it air dry then plastic wrap it and but it in a ziplok with most of the air pushed out it should not affect the fridge. If you can vacpak it even better.
Dave

forrest2906
12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
What is leftover smoked meat? I have never seen any :)

caseydog
12-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I just did my first cold smoke on my WSM yesterday -- also cheese. It turned out well. Here is the cook thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122317

CD

tortaboy
12-17-2011, 06:51 PM
I got to ask, what do you do with leftover smoked meat?

If you let it air dry then plastic wrap it and but it in a ziplok with most of the air pushed out it should not affect the fridge. If you can vacpak it even better.
Dave

Good question. Leftover smoked meat does not stink up my fridge at all.
Does it stink up yours?

If your question/point is, "Why would smoked cheese stink up your entire refrigerator"? My response would be, I don't know, I just read it on the Breathan forums. :becky:

caseydog
12-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Good question. Leftover smoked meat does not stink up my fridge at all.
Does it stink up yours?

If your question/point is, "Why would smoked cheese stink up your entire refrigerator"? My response would be, I don't know, I just read it on the Breathan forums. :becky:

My smoked cheese made the whole side-by-side smell like smoke, even in the plastic bags. I don't know how. But, it only lasted for about a day. It is fine, now.

CD

tortaboy
12-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey CD,

Do I really need to wait 24 hours before I taste it, or might it be yummy now?