PDA

View Full Version : IQue 110 vs. PartyQ

kwas68
12-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm going to buy a pit temperature control device for my UDS for Xmas. I know it may not be necessary but it will relieve some anxiety (although mostly unwarranted) on overnight cooks and give me better sleep.

I like the PartyQ's digital readout and the fact that it comes from a trusted name in BBQ - BBQ guru. But I'm concerned about it being able to go all night during a cold Chicago winter on battery power. Is the fan big enough and how long do the batteries last?

I like the IQue 110 because I've heard others' testimonies about it's use in a UDS and I can plug it into the wall. I would like a digital readout to understand what is going on though.

I can only buy one. What say you?

Xpert510
12-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I was thinking about the same Xmas gift for a UDS as well... The partyQ seems like an awesome product at a great price especially considering I often use my drum quite far from a power source. But Im wondering... will it fit into that adapter that bbqguru sells that connects to the ball valve? the unit will be on the ground and not that far from the bottom of the drum (where most of the heat is) will that be OK? Kinda concerned about accidentally kicking it or stepping on it. I have been searching for pictures or reviews from people using it on a UDS and really have found anything...

Bigg Higg's BBQ
12-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Digital Read out and plug in power.

http://host.jwcinc.net/2300060436/smoker/fronta.jpg

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=205&zenid=33bfa7da9d22e7b5852688ea40fb61da

mytmouz
12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
I got the Ique 110 and it is within two degrees of my Maverick Et732 when set on 275. The. Maverick is battery powered and went 15 hours with no issue...

Soulman1282
12-16-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't have one, but I'm with Bigg Higg on the Auber Ins. controller. It's priced along the lines of the PartyQ, has a plug, and a digital read out. They seem like a well established company that makes quality equipment. Not so sure about the IQue. Seems like a guy making them in his garage, but I have heard they work well, so...

muidaq
12-16-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't have one, but I'm with Bigg Higg on the Auber Ins. controller. It's priced along the lines of the PartyQ, has a plug, and a digital read out. They seem like a well established company that makes quality equipment. Not so sure about the IQue. Seems like a guy making them in his garage, but I have heard they work well, so...

3rd. Have it. Love it. Works like a champ.

Eatin Smoke
12-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I've got the IQ110 & Auber.........Both are excellent and work perfectly but I tend to use my Auber more for the digital readout.

morgaj1
12-16-2011, 09:52 PM
But Im wondering... will it fit into that adapter that bbqguru sells that connects to the ball valve? the unit will be on the ground and not that far from the bottom of the drum (where most of the heat is) will that be OK? Kinda concerned about accidentally kicking it or stepping on it. I have been searching for pictures or reviews from people using it on a UDS and really have found anything...

I have this adapter that I use on my UDS (3/4" ball valve) with a Guru Competitor. It is a high quality product that fits well.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/3%7B47%7D4%22-Threaded-Adaptor.html

speedrcer1
12-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I vote iQue110. I've used it on WSM and on a Bubba. The WSM was easy, but the Bubba (or Kamodo style) can run away very easy if you are trying to do long cooks. But it runs great!

sincitydisciple01
12-17-2011, 12:11 AM
I've been playing with an iQue on one of our drums. This may be the same with the other gizmos, but you have to start your fire SMALL. Let the fan do the work to bring the temp up to where you want it. It's great at bringing the temp up, but not so great bringing it back down.

Pappy
12-17-2011, 07:20 AM
I got the Ique 110 and it is within two degrees of my Maverick Et732 when set on 275. The. Maverick is battery powered and went 15 hours with no issue...

I have this same set up. Works for me. IQ 110 & ET-732

Xpert510
12-17-2011, 07:39 AM
I have this adapter that I use on my UDS (3/4" ball valve) with a Guru Competitor. It is a high quality product that fits well.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/3%7B47%7D4%22-Threaded-Adaptor.html

I noticed on their website that they have many adapters for their products (like this as well http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Viking%7B47%7DStumps-Adaptor%7B47%7D-Ball-Valve-Adaptor.html ) but its unclear to me whether or not the partyQ can attach to that adapter. In this section on the partyQ page (Please select your grill to see the PartyQ thats right for you:) it does not list Ugly Drum. I guess thats why I've been searching the web and trying to find if anyone has used the partyQ on the drum. Also, as a side question kinda wondering if people still run their chimneys wide open on the drums when using a automatic temp control device.

Pappy
12-17-2011, 07:53 AM
I bought my IQ 110 with the WSM adapter. It will also fit a kettle. Looks like a bowl. To attach it to the UDS I went to HD and bought a 1" to 3/4" reducer fitting for $3. The 1" plastic fitting on the "bowl adapter" screws into the reducer. I could use it on either cooker. So far only on the UDS.

If you have a weber one touch kettle, it says to tape up 2 of the bottom cleaning slots and use the WSM adapter or drill a 7/8" hole in your kettle side. I wouldn't want to drill that big of a hole in mine. The paint chips real easy when drilling a weber.

I found a old weber kettle on CL with the 3 vents in the bottom. I plan to use that kettle for the IQ if needed.

accuseal
12-17-2011, 08:05 AM
I bought my IQ 110 with the WSM adapter. It will also fit a kettle. Looks like a bowl. To attach it to the UDS I went to HD and bought a 1" to 3/4" reducer fitting for $3. The 1" plastic fitting on the "bowl adapter" screws into the reducer. I could use it on either cooker. So far only on the UDS.

If you have a weber one touch kettle, it says to tape up 2 of the bottom cleaning slots and use the WSM adapter or drill a 7/8" hole in your kettle side. I wouldn't want to drill that big of a hole in mine. The paint chips real easy when drilling a weber.

I found a old weber kettle on CL with the 3 vents in the bottom. I plan to use that kettle for the IQ if needed.
If you put some duct tape on the bowl prior to drilling, it won't chip.

nexpress
12-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I have the Ique 110 and paired it with the Maverick ET732. Both run
great.:thumb:

James Montigny
12-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Just a heads-up;
The BBQ Guru told me that their DigiQ is backordered into at least late January.
If any of the other brands use parts from Asian suppliers, they'll probably be in the same boat.

kwas68
12-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Is the Auber 10 cfm fan acceptable for a UDS in cold weather? Or do I go with the 20?

And not to hijack my own thread but has anybody hooked a hose onto their Auber fan for weather proofing purposes? I'm thinking that I could build an rain resistant enclosure (that obviously allows air flow) for the fan and electronics and have a tube connect to my UDS's nipple.

caseydog
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM

I've been very pleased with my iQue 110. It works well, it is quiet, and has been reliable.

BTW, the BBQ Guru site says they are out of stock on the Party Que until January.

CD

morgaj1
12-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Is the Auber 10 cfm fan acceptable for a UDS in cold weather? Or do I go with the 20?

And not to hijack my own thread but has anybody hooked a hose onto their Auber fan for weather proofing purposes? I'm thinking that I could build an rain resistant enclosure (that obviously allows air flow) for the fan and electronics and have a tube connect to my UDS's nipple.

With my guru, the 10cfm fan is too much. I ended up ordering a 4cfm fan and it is perfect.

colonel00
12-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I really liked the Auber product except for the lack of adapter for a standard UDS nipple intake and the fact that if you do make an adapter it ends up sticking out really far from the UDS. I don't need the digital readout since I too use a Maverick and really have learned to not care about exact temps that much.

---k---
12-17-2011, 05:28 PM
If you're not in a rush to buy, you're welcome to come over and see my iQ in person. Just PM me.

Pappy
12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Not so sure about the IQue. Seems like a guy making them in his garage, but I have heard they work well, so...

I told the guy I work with about the IQ and he drove to St. Peters, MO and bought one where they make them. Got the $0.10 tour. He said it was a regular business/shop.

Soulman1282
12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I told the guy I work with about the IQ and he drove to St. Peters, MO and bought one where they make them. Got the $0.10 tour. He said it was a regular business/shop.

Cool. I didn't know they were made here in MO.

John I. Que
12-19-2011, 08:41 AM

When the pitmasterIQ guys aren't building iQues, they're building high power industrial motor controllers in their factory (www.digitalpowerandmotion.com (http://www.digitalpowerandmotion.com)). Not that there's anything wrong with working out of your garage; that's how Hewlett & Packard got started!

Randbo
12-19-2011, 09:41 AM
To me the pitmaster IQ looks to be a great simple controller. Having the fan integrated into the unit is a good design. The fan being variable speed 5 to 15 cfm makes great sense. I also like the simplicity of how easy it is to install. I will be using it on one of my UDS. I don't need a digital read out and it seems pretty simple to look at the LED to see what is going on. Since I will have a separate probe in the meat I got that covered already. Also since I don't like complicated electronics the temp dial will work great for me, being I am digi-toy unimpressed. So I am leaning toward getting the pitmaster IQ.

Soulman1282
12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
When the pitmasterIQ guys aren't building iQues, they're building high power industrial motor controllers in their factory (www.digitalpowerandmotion.com (http://www.digitalpowerandmotion.com)). Not that there's anything wrong with working out of your garage; that's how Hewlett & Packard got started!

Didn't mean to offend! Just knew it was more of a home inventor/small company. Like I said, I've heard they work well. I know all of these temperature controllers work well on upright smokers like WSM's and Kamado's, but do they work well on offsets like my Char-Griller?

P.S.- I'm a MO boy too John, I got your back.

Pappy
12-19-2011, 09:58 AM
I was surprised at the type of material the unit and the air hose was made out of. The hose is made out of real quality rubber. Not stiff or cheap, very flexable. The unit itself seems to be very solidly made also. I have used it about 5 times now and I'm happy with it. Once I set it, I'm done.

I spent a lot of money on the valves & nipples, fat man handles, nipple caps on the UDS. None of that is of any use now. I could have put that money towards buying the IQ. It's only there if I might need it someday if the electric goes out or if I sell the UDS.

BasicPatrick
12-19-2011, 11:08 AM
The IQ110 works great but I triple agree that you must start the fire extra small and let the fan build. I use 1 weber paraffin cube and that is it. The big drawback is that the IQ110 does not reduce big temp swings well by any means. Start her small and she runs like a champ.

kwas68
12-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks to all. I ended up putting my money down on the Auber. I like the digital readout and A/C power.

My next project will be making it rain/snow proof.

Thanks again bros!

Soulman1282
12-19-2011, 04:13 PM
well now I feel bad for bad talking my fellow Missourian John and hid IQ. solet me say this. I have heard setting the high/low temps on the Auber can be a pain in the butt, not so with the IQ which just has a knob. Also the IQ is easier to rain/snow proof, since the fan is in the main control unit. you'll probably like the Auber too. I just feel bad now like i was badmouthing, what I understand to also be, a quality machine...

kwas68
12-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Don't feel bad, Soulman. It was the digital display that made me consider it. Then I read the instruction manual. While complicated, it seems like it has some cool features that a nerdy engineer like me can appreciate.

John I. Que
12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks to all. I ended up putting my money down on the Auber. I like the digital readout and A/C power.

Thanks again bros!

Check out this video http://pitmasteriq.com/Projects.html for instructions on making your electronics rain/snow proof.

smokeyw
12-19-2011, 08:05 PM
There is a review of the Pitmaster iQue in the current Smoke Signals Magazine.

colonel00
12-19-2011, 09:07 PM

Thanks again bros!

Have you looked into how you are going to connect the blower to the UDS? Last I checked, it did not easily adapt to a 1" nipple if that is what you have for your intakes. I have seen homemade adapters on the internet but it is a bulky deal when done.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVfnEt3ZxqxJG9OMEPTISzrEGySOMY5 Pb-T_OCvzc7aIWJX9FhcZpwe4f5

Vision
12-19-2011, 09:12 PM
I used the Ique tongiht for the first time; easiest cook ever.

kwas68
12-19-2011, 10:43 PM
I plan on whipping up an adapter for some tubing to plug into the pipe nipple-similar to the Ique. That way I can put the fan and the controller in the rain box. Hopefully, the pressure loss in the tube is not too great. I'll post what I come up with.

I work in a sheet metal shop that uses almost exclusively galvanized. No help in making UDS components but should be just what I need for this project.

kwas68
12-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I received the Auber. You guys were right on. Attaching it to the UDS was going to take some ingenuity. Felt a slight tinge of buyer's remorse.

I was making some smoked salmon for the holiday and used my old Mastercraft smoker. It was easy to attach the Auber to this smoker. It quickly brought the smoker up to temp and went way past the set point. WTF? On top of that, I've got the alarm buzzing in my ear. I was pretty close to flinging it. Turns out the error was me. I had the polarity reversed on the thermocouple. Idiot! Should have read the instructions better.

After I corrected this issue, I started from scratch. This time, it still shot over the temp and would not come down. Apparently this smoker has too many air leaks. It is amazing I could cook with this thing back in the day.

Today I hooked up the UDS temporarily and gave it a test run. I wanted to hook the fan up to a hose so that it can be rain-proofed. I bought some some pipe connectors to convert my 3/4" ID pipe nipple to an 1.25" internal thread. I then connected it to a sump discharge hose with the connector that came with it. On the other end of the hose, I wedged the hose into the fan opening and duct taped it to fill the gaps. I then powered the Auber up.

The UDS went up to the 225 set point very quickly and didn't overshoot by more than 2 degrees. It held steady for 4 hours. I changed the set point to 275 and it was up to temp in less than 15 minutes. I then set it back at 225. It went back down in about 15 minutes but overshot (or is it undershot) to 218 but quickly came back up to 225. It held steady until it ran out of charcoal. Very pleased and no more buyer's remorse. So easy, it almost felt like I was cheating.

I'm going to make a more permanent installation and nix the duct tape. I'll post pics in a new thread.

old dog
12-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I have the the iq 110 had it for a year no problems i also built a rain box and i bought a 12v rechargable battery so i dont have to use the extention cord.

John I. Que
12-29-2011, 10:35 AM
I have the the iq 110 had it for a year no problems i also built a rain box and i bought a 12v rechargable battery so i dont have to use the extention cord.
Hey Old Dog,
Please tell us about your rechargable battery and upload a picture if you have one.

old dog
12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I bought mine on ebay i think this is the one, they have several on the site but its the 6800 one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-DC-12V-6800mAh-/110652992567?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item19c36eac37