PDA

View Full Version : New $5 Trailer Smoker-First Cook

ozlites
12-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Neat story, friend of a friend buys a $5 raffle ticket at a small country convenience store here in Texas to support a local 4H club. The prize...a trailer smoker made by the local high school's shop class. Friend goes back home to Canada and gets a call that he won! It gets delivered to my friends house and gets stored in his garage for a year until last weekend...Friend that won, comes down from Canada, were throwing a party and I got to get the first cook on it. Got some baby backs, some spares, some salmon on cedar planks a few fatties and we put a turkey on to absorb the hickory smoke. Worked out pretty good, smoke was coming out of seams and welds but that can be fixed, the folks at the party that night loved the food which was the most important thing. :wink:

bluetang
12-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Way nice!

speers90
12-12-2011, 07:24 PM
That is a heck of a deal!

gtr
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey - if your friend wants to double his money I'll pay $10 for it. Cash. Right now.

Looks great! :thumb:

lcbateman3
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Hey - if your friend wants to double his money I'll pay $10 for it. Cash. Right now.

Looks great! :thumb:

I'll pay 30!

dealm9
12-12-2011, 10:08 PM
it's good to know that kids are still learning useful things in school. this kind of craftsmanship is a lost art it seems until you see something this beautiful come from some high schoolers.

stubshaft
12-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Looks like Santa Pig came early.

tortaboy
12-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Very cool

Was hoping to hear a really happy ending....
that your friend gave you the smoker!:-D

Cloudsmoker
12-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Great story.

I'll see you $30 and....

Norcoredneck
12-13-2011, 01:54 AM
A real "Friend" would have let you well season it instead of storing it! Looks like a great rig.

Phubar
12-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Awesome looking pit!

BigTony
12-13-2011, 03:18 AM
More cooks may well seal up the cooker,happened that way with my wsm.Thanks for the pictures,and thanks to the local shop teacher! T

jerneedog
12-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Now that is an awesome prize! Very nice!

brickie
12-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Agreed great story!!!!! That is awesome to be made by high schollers.Just shows what they can do when motivated by the right person.

brickie

Cack
12-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Tell him I'll give him $10 for it ... he can quickly double his money

Awesome pics man

likeadeere
12-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Awesome pit! I'm lovin that - gotta like the raffle system! It's better to be lucky than good/rich. Nice pron as well

stephan
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
You have to love the fact that kids made it. Nice story

BigBobBQ
12-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Well you can't beat that a $5 smoker, even if it needs a little bit of tuning to seal it all up it is well worth it. The food you got there looks mighty fine as well.

B3
12-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for sharing your story... but I have to ask - they delivered it from Texas to his house in Canada?

Big_Alvin
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
nice story, good to see some kids doing something other than playing video games. nice looking pit. nice looking spread u put on for the christening.

DirtyDirty00
12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
I'll pay 30!

I'll pay 50!

markdtn
12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
it's good to know that kids are still learning useful things in school. this kind of craftsmanship is a lost art it seems until you see something this beautiful come from some high schoolers.

I'll second that. Kids these days just don't seem as interested in skills like welding or mechanic work. Glad to see some still making stuff. And glad your friend has a cool new toy :thumb:

The Pigman
12-13-2011, 02:42 PM
If the pit holds temp good why seal....my lang leaks and that is all right.

Bluehawg
12-13-2011, 03:22 PM
nice story, good to see some kids doing something other than playing video games. nice looking pit. nice looking spread u put on for the christening.

I'll second that. Kids these days just don't seem as interested in skills like welding or mechanic work. Glad to see some still making stuff. And glad your friend has a cool new toy :thumb:
A lot of kids aren't afforded the opportunity to have someone show them what they are capable of doing either. I know I have a lot of students come through my program that are "city" kids and haven't been exposed to things like wood working, metal working/fab, or any other area of agriculture except for grocery shopping. A lot of them turn their noses up at the beginning of the year when I tell them what all they will have to learn to do and participate in BUT once I show them a little bit and open up some possiblities for them to "build" or grow something, most of them eagerly try to learn as much as they can and BEG for me to not lecture at all but rather just let them do "shop." I had 13 of my 15-16 year old boys last year that ended up being able to get a welding certification. Now granted, it wasn't a "big certification" but rather a "welder operator" certification, however, the instructors that did the testing from the local JuCo was trying to recruit them into their welding programs. It is a good feeling to see the look on a youngin's face when they are a sophomore in HighSchool and have 2 different colleges trying to recruit them and dangling scholarships in front of them when they still have 2 more years of highschool. Talk about motivating them to stay in school and have good grades! It literally builds a fire of motivation to succeed in them and a lot of the ones I get aren't necessarily the "cream of the crop" either as I get a lot of kids that the rest of the school has given up on and try to turn them around.

dealm9
12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
A lot of kids aren't afforded the opportunity to have someone show them what they are capable of doing either. I know I have a lot of students come through my program that are "city" kids and haven't been exposed to things like wood working, metal working/fab, or any other area of agriculture except for grocery shopping. A lot of them turn their noses up at the beginning of the year when I tell them what all they will have to learn to do and participate in BUT once I show them a little bit and open up some possiblities for them to "build" or grow something, most of them eagerly try to learn as much as they can and BEG for me to not lecture at all but rather just let them do "shop." I had 13 of my 15-16 year old boys last year that ended up being able to get a welding certification. Now granted, it wasn't a "big certification" but rather a "welder operator" certification, however, the instructors that did the testing from the local JuCo was trying to recruit them into their welding programs. It is a good feeling to see the look on a youngin's face when they are a sophomore in HighSchool and have 2 different colleges trying to recruit them and dangling scholarships in front of them when they still have 2 more years of highschool. Talk about motivating them to stay in school and have good grades! It literally builds a fire of motivation to succeed in them and a lot of the ones I get aren't necessarily the "cream of the crop" either as I get a lot of kids that the rest of the school has given up on and try to turn them around.
that's awesome. not everyone was cut out to be book smart, or interested in subjects like math or biology. the real challenge is finding what motivates a child to succeed because it is different for everyone. thank you for taking the road less traveled and serving a group of kids that most likely would never have found what it is that motivates them. if i may ask what exactly do you do?

Bluehawg
12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
that's awesome. not everyone was cut out to be book smart, or interested in subjects like math or biology. the real challenge is finding what motivates a child to succeed because it is different for everyone. thank you for taking the road less traveled and serving a group of kids that most likely would never have found what it is that motivates them. if i may ask what exactly do you do?
Ag teacher here in So. Mississippi.

ozlites
12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks for sharing your story... but I have to ask - they delivered it from Texas to his house in Canada?

No, its at his friends house that lives in Texas....Thats who I am friends with...The smoker will be staying in Texas and I can use it when I want

cowgirl
12-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow.. Great looking smoker! Food looks killer too. :-D

Bluehawg
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
No, its at his friends house that lives in Texas....Thats who I am friends with...The smoker will be staying in Texas and I can use it when I want
Sounds like a sweet deal!