PDA

View Full Version : 1st Q on the new somker

grillnputt
06-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Tomorrow I start easy with 6 racks of bb's sausage, chicken breasts and some filet mignon. I've read the roadmaps and learned a lot. I have a silver smoker. (Thanks, Phil.)
As far as sprays, do you use the same spray mixture for all meats or different sprays for each meat?
I will be using the 221 on the danish bb's. Temps about 220. I assume its ok to lay them flat on the cooking grate since I don't have rib racks.
I have my Kingsford charcoal for igniting the hickory woodchunks. Also, some Royal Oak for grilling the steaks and chicken.
I have my Duvel and will be making mai tais.
AM I ON THE RIGHT PATH HERE? Thanks and Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there.

Bill-Chicago
06-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Whats a duvel?

Spray everything same spray

220 is the target.

Flat is fine for the wibs. (actually better than rib rack, easier to wrap)

looks like a good first Q, G

Make sure you post results!!

Ron_L
06-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Whats a duvel?

Belgian beer... Good stuff!

http://www.duvelusa.com/home.shtml

icemn62
06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
You are on the perfect road to some good times. If possible when you post results, post pics as well.

grillnputt
06-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I can't seem to get the temp higher than 180. (Silver Smoker.) Should I have the firebox damper open too?

chad
06-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I can't seem to get the temp higher than 180. (Silver Smoker.) Should I have the firebox damper open too?

Well, yeah! :D If your fire is established then you should probably be about 1/4 - 1/2 open. My Quikset smoker is like that.

BBQchef33
06-19-2005, 09:03 PM

Download the bandera 101 document from the little flame button the home page. there is a good section in there on firecontol. You should always have the smoke cham ber damper full open, and the firebpx should START with full open. If temps start to get away from u, close the damper halfway and work from there. The more open, the more air and the hotter the fire. Temps will respond slowly, so wait about 15 minutes for an adjustment to take effect. Never close the damber more than 1/8 to 1/4. Thats where things start to choke out and gives u bad smoke.