PDA

View Full Version : Just recieved this from Klose Pits

razrbakcrzy
12-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:04 AM
To: Jim Boston
Subject: RE: BBQ Pits by Klose

Could you tell me? am I on about the right price for this pit and all the additions I have priced here?

Also I have heard about your legendary ability to tune a smoke chamber and I would really appreciate a completely accurate cooking chamber...
I would also like to know, what temp difference can I expect in the upright section VS the horizontal section when tuned...?

Variable from 50 degrees cooler to even by moving far left tuning shield towards the main chamber.

D.

$2595.00 20" X 60" BYC Smoker!!
+425.00 Tuning a 24”
+648.75 25% more to increase from 20” to 24"
+$295.00 SS coal basket
+$275.00 24" ash pan
+$450.00 1/2" x 24" fire box
+ $49.50 brass ball valve
+$450.00 pullouts horizontal
+$250.00 pullout upright

Total 5438.25 +freight
No sales tax due saves you hundreds also.

Shipping for the 20" x 60" BYC to Fort Smith, AR is $795.
Freight may come down in next 4 weeks also; if ordered now.

D.

I want this so bad I can hardly contain myself, but I have driven vehicles at more than 100mph that cost less than this... WOW!

gtr
12-07-2011, 02:05 PM
I love my Klose BYC (50", untuned - temp does vary across the chamber that but doesn't bother me, 20" diameter - kinda wish I'd gone 24" but it's not a crisis by any means). It's a lot to swallow financially, but if you can swing it, it's a lifetime purchase that you and yours will be cooking on for a long, long, long time. I have never heard anybody say they were sorry about buying one of these pits. I certainly don't regret getting mine. It's fantastic - especially for parties when you are cooking a lot of different items. I will never go back to not having a vertical chamber for slower/colder smoking, warming, etc.

There are other great offsets that cost less, and I'm sure some folks will chime in with those.

Jaskew82
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Klose pits are expensive for sure... but from what I have heard/read. They are amazing.

Too rich for my blood but if you LOVE BBQ, the hours of 'entertainment'/enjoyment you will get from it will be well worth the price.

BBQ Bandit
12-07-2011, 02:18 PM
There's nothing wrong with a Klose

Here's an alternate possibility... a Klose Chef Combo Grill & Smoker on Craigslist:
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/for/2704314406.html

A 4 foot Santa Maria grill on one side PLUS a 4 foot smoker = $2,100 (Carlisle, PA)
Could save some money plus arrange shipping...

Would be mine if had the room... already own a Klose.

stephan
12-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I have a klose its a well made pit and should last a lifetime. Like anything in life you get what you pay for.

DirtyDirty00
12-07-2011, 02:26 PM
i got a 20x48 pits by jj. love it. almost identical to the klose. i dont have the upright tho, just horizontal. they all cost around the same for a high quality pit.

i do wish i got my pit tuned tho. they didnt have that option. my bottom rack and top rack differ by about 50 degrees (however that is normal as heat rises). but as you get closer to the firebox, the temp goes way up. im gonna throw a convection plate in it, or make some tuning plates to try and reduce the difference.

razrbakcrzy
12-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Yeah your right, it will probably be in my family for 30-50 years and no car is going to make it that long...it will be a once in a life time purchase... I am going to start paying on it in January at about $1000 per month. Then, I'll have to wait 4 weeks for them to build it after I am finished paying for it. I should have it by the 4th of july.. I hope...!!!!!

Good lord:rolleyes: I'm giggling like a school girl....amazing!!!!:-D

gtr
12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah your right, it will probably be in my family for 30-50 years and no car is going to make it that long...it will be a once in a life time purchase... I am going to start paying on it in January at about $1000 per month. Then, I'll have to wait 4 weeks for them to build it after I am finished paying for it. I should have it by the 4th of july.. I hope...!!!!!

Good lord:rolleyes: I'm giggling like a school girl....amazing!!!!:-D

You're supporting quality American craftsmanship - that's a good thing! :clap2:

I guaranfarkingtee you'll be happy with yer pit. :thumb:

kihrer
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
What is the temp of the vertical when the horizontal is at 250? Do you think you are going to use the vertical very often? You could save some serious cash by just going with the horizontal.

Full Draw BBQ
12-07-2011, 03:03 PM
I have been to the old Klose factory and the new factory about a mile from the old......several times. When I was on business in Houston, I always found myself up in the NW part of town, and "happened" to have an hour to kill. Klose was always my dream pit, and I lusted over them, and planned and planned to make the $$$ work. When I decided to upgrade size wise from my Stumps to a stick burner trailer, I tried to make the cost of the Klose work, but ended up with a Lang 60D. I saved a couple thousand dollars, and I'm thrilled with my Lang. Now, if I had $8k to burn and the room for it, I would get a Klose in a heartbeat, but I'm not rolling like that......so the Lang 60D was and is everything I'm looking for.

Best of luck to you!!!

razrbakcrzy
12-07-2011, 03:10 PM
What is the temp of the vertical when the horizontal is at 250? Do you think you are going to use the vertical very often? You could save some serious cash by just going with the horizontal.

He say's tuned it can be as much as 50 below to even depending on the adjustment of the far left tuning plate...:redface::becky::clap2::laugh::thumb:

And yes I will I love to have my sauce and beans on the smoker in the cooler area for about he entire length of the cook if possible. I could even use it a little bit cooler around 100 deg or so cooler. For sausage, and cold smoking cheese the top rack of the verticle seems like at somewhere near 100" away from the fire box it might be able to be used with a small fire perfectly for that occasion...

kihrer
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM
He say's tuned it can be as much as 50 below to even depending on the adjustment of the far left tuning plate...:redface::becky::clap2::laugh::thumb:

And yes I will I love to have my sauce and beans on the smoker in the cooler area for about he entire length of the cook if possible. I could even use it a little bit cooler around 100 deg or so cooler. For sausage, and cold smoking cheese the top rack of the verticle seems like at somewhere near 100" away from the fire box it might be able to be used with a small fire perfectly for that occasion...

Then I'd say get it just the way you want - even if it takes a little longer to save for. I didn't do that on a motorcycle purchase and I always regretted it.

Bubber
12-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I have a Klose 24 x 42 backyard. Yes it was expensivebut the other top 2-3 are in the same price point. It depends on what you want. My two boys will be fightning over this thing when I am gone. I would not trade it for anything. This thing will get up to cooking temp. almost as fast as the stove in my kitchen.

razrbakcrzy
12-07-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a Klose 24 x 42 backyard. Yes it was expensivebut the other top 2-3 are in the same price point. It depends on what you want. My two boys will be fightning over this thing when I am gone. I would not trade it for anything. This thing will get up to cooking temp. almost as fast as the stove in my kitchen.

:clap2::becky::becky::becky::-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:becky::becky::becky::clap2:

NeoTrout
12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I have never regretted buying the Klose. Get what makes you happy. :cool:

thillin
12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Instead of shipping, consider a road trip to get it. I did and made a family weekend out of it. May spend the same, but the family had fun in the process.

DirtyDirty00
12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Shipping is what made my decision. Klose and jambo were very high in shipping.

My pit was only 300 less than the jambo but my shipping was 400 vs 1400 quoted for the jambo. Otherwise I would have done jambo.

I spent 400 shipping from tx to ny. And that was for my pit which weights roughly 800 lbs. Not sure what kind of freight jambo and klose use but the other pit companies use cheaper shipping companies

bbqfred
12-07-2011, 07:02 PM
What kind of tuning do they do for $425? Just curious what that entails. Does that mean the entire cooking chamber will be consistently one temperature?

bbqbull
12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I thought about driving to Houston to p/u my Klose mobile pit.
Ran the numbers, paying Texas state sales tax vs my fuel and time. It was cheaper to have Dave deliver it in person. Double bonus as Dave spent a few days here with me....priceless. And I paid no state sales tax at the time.

Bubber
12-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Instead of shipping, consider a road trip to get it. I did and made a family weekend out of it. May spend the same, but the family had fun in the process.

I did the same thing and took my two boys with me. We drove from Alabama and had a great road trip.

42BBQ
12-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Bandit,
I saw that Klose on CL yesterday, unfortunately not the time for me to drop $ on a pit. Was that Santa Maria style side gas fired tho?

Cloudsmoker
12-07-2011, 11:14 PM
For just a few $ more, add the large wheels, too.
That rig will last you a lifetime.

razrbakcrzy
12-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Ok going to try to answer all questions above....

Shipping -- I am going to pick it up. It's only about 457 miles down there from my house and I have a friend living in Belton, Texas (157 Miles) we will stop by and visit while down there (476 miles back) 1090 mile round trip@ $3.89 per gal for diesel @ 14-18MPG=$236.00-303.00 and about 18 hrs driving and a visit with my friend and his family.. that cuts out the shipping..

Taxes -- I have been told since I negotiated the price VIA the internet and I am paying for the product electronically before receiving it, makes it an internet purchase and negates texas state taxes... (from what I can tell, might need a lawyer to really figure it out)

Tuning -- Dave tunes a pit to maintain 50 deg to 0 deg drop from fire box side to upright. depending what you specify.. He uses many tools and techniques to get one right....

Modification to Wheels: I asked about the wheels about 4 emails ago, What I understood was the smaller wheels come on the smaller BYC's and once you pay for the 24" upgrade and the 60" long horizontal you get the larger wheels to support the extra weight. Even if im wrong it wont matter because I'm thinking of having it built on heavy pipe skids so I can drag it onto a trailer with a winch and tie it down and it wont move around as easy as it would with wheels.

I could be wrong about any and all of the answers I have just posted, I have only been working on this for about 6 weeks and still have not gotten to talk with Dave on the phone yet.. This has all been done VIA email, before I order "I will talk with the MAN himself first...."

BBQ Bandit
12-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Why the pipe skids for wheels?
The Klose stays in the backyard... the Lang is for the road. :mrgreen:
[The winch stays on the trailer...]

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1810140&postcount=15

razrbakcrzy
12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
The Klose stays in the backyard... the Lang is for the road. :mrgreen:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1810140&postcount=15

Some people are lucky like that...If I spend more than $5000.00 on a BBQ grill this summer it will be the only one I get for quite a while....So say's Mrs. Boston....:icon_blush:

Although I could be talked into making that Mobility mod on the KLOSE....!!!!?

btcg
12-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Whatever you do, make sure he doesn't tune it to the key of "B" or everything will burn.

Depending on your pit, either use the key of "C" if you're using charcoal or "G" if you've got a gasser.

Gotta set it up right.