PDA

View Full Version : Hamburger * I Need Flavor * Any Favorite Seasoning's to Share

Midnight Smoke
12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I am looking for a Flavor Blast for my Burgers. Have tried many different things and just can't find the one that make me say, Wow! I know there are many good ones but would like to hear your best.

Pron will be posted with the results.

Thanks!!!

scm1226
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Simple simple, worstershire sauce(I know spelling is off) garlic powder, S&P

My favorite burger!!

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I heard that "The best burger in the world" was in NYC...

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/09/best-burger-in-the-world-at-the-little-owl-bacon-cheeseburger-west-village-nyc.html

I have recently acquired the recipe, but haven't tried it yet.
The seasonings used are...

1 1/2 Tbsp. madras curry powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
Salt
Pepper

In a small bowl, mix curry powder, cayenne, 1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper and 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt until combined.

Season 2 lbs. of meat with salt and pepper and flatten into four 3/4-inch thick patties. Season both sides of each patty with the above spice mixture, then grill 'em up.

smokeyw
12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Plowboys Bovine Bold rocks on burgers!!

deguerre
Simple simple, worstershire sauce(I know spelling is off) garlic powder, S&P

My favorite burger!!

This is what I do too except I add chopped green chilis sometimes as well.

BBQ Bacon
Two words. Chorizo sausage. Add about a quarter pound to a pound of ground beef and awesome comes to mind.

deguerre
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Oh, also, try half and half ground bison and lamb with cracked black pepper and celery salt. This one's a killer.

Ron_L
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Onion soup mix.

Skidder
12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Use good meat to start with

steve6224
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
2/3 regular ground beef (NOT lean) and 1/3 ground pork to start.

thenicksfam
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Worstcheshire, weber gourmet burger seasoning and seasalt.

aquablue22
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Bacon...........salt and pepper.....

caseydog
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Mix some leftovers in your beef. :becky:

My ex-wife used to mix ketchup, brown sugar and onions into the beef, and it made a pretty tasty burger.

CD

expatpig
12-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Worcestershire sauce.

Midnight Smoke
12-06-2011, 05:46 PM
There are some great suggestions here. Most of the ingredients listed I do not have for tonight's Burgers but I do have some Brown Sugar though. Never tried adding a bit of that to the burgers.

The mixture of Pork, Lamb or Bison really sounds interesting. Onion Soup, Bacon, Chorizo, Bovine and all the rest of the ideas really sound good too.

These are all great ideas for future cooks!

The quality of the beef is a big one to me also. I did stop by the butcher shop today and they ground me up some 80/20, it looks really good. I have been lazy on the last couple Burger cooks and just got the supermarket stuff. We shall see how this turns out.

I will be looking through the spice cabinet for tonight's and will post the Pron.

Bartstop
12-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Try bisquick or flour. It will hold on to the moisture and make the burgers very tender. I've also found that soy sauce gives a nice flavor. Last but not least, there's nothing like the smoke from beef fat dripping on hot coals. So if you're cooking on a gasser, dump it for a weber kettle. :thumb:

Dave

NCGrimbo
12-06-2011, 05:55 PM
First of all, grind your own. I use chuck, sirlion and bacon in a 3-1-2 ratio. Then go simple to not overpower the meat with just some salt & peper. I will occasionally add wichestershire or some onion to the grind. Grill till yummy and then add some cheddar cheese when you're about 2 minutes from pulling off the grill.

The_Kapn
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Brisket Burgers or Rib Eye (the cheap chit grade) Burgers with S & P & Garlic works for us.
Cooked over misquite.

TIM

Sly-one
12-06-2011, 08:10 PM
I prefer to get ground chuck or better yet, ground sirloin, in an 85/15 ratio. I like all of the above ideas, but you have to start with good meat to begin with, even if it's from the super market.
Any of the good rubs sold by Simply Marvelous or any of the other rub suppliers here on the forum will greatly enhance your burgers. With good ground meat, just plain old salt and pepper works wonders, especially with a bit of whats-this-here sauce.

Hoosier1960
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
A little Worcestershire and McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning :-D

LMAJ
12-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm with Grimbo - grind your own, salt, pepper, nice and simple.

grillzilla10
12-07-2011, 07:12 AM
I like Dales steak marinade ,just a splash while cooking it is pretty good

Cack
12-07-2011, 07:17 AM
dice 1/4-1/2 green pepper and onion ... mixed with ground beef and add worshishishsishishire sauce and some McCormicks Gormet Burger seasoning ... make sure you're momma her momma and everybody elses momma is in another room, because you'll want to go on a momma smacking mission.

Hoss
12-07-2011, 07:53 AM
3 crabs FISH SAUCE! UNbelievable!!! :thumb:

btcg
12-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Heinz 57 on it instead of ketchup - 1/16th in raw onion

use ground chuck, not sirloin or round: more fat, more flavor.

btcg
12-07-2011, 09:32 AM
dice 1/4-1/2 green pepper and onion ... mixed with ground beef and add worshishishsishishire sauce and some McCormicks Gormet Burger seasoning ... make sure you're momma her momma and everybody elses momma is in another room, because you'll want to go on a momma smacking mission.

My Mom did em that way: excellent burger.

Myrdhyn
12-07-2011, 09:40 AM
My current favorite is Old Bay and beer :P

Bluehawg
12-07-2011, 09:41 AM
My current favorite is Old Bay and beer :P
Old Bay is good on errything cept ice-cream.:becky:

Midnight Smoke
12-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!! :thumb: There are really many here I will be trying, I cook a lot of Burgers.

I am wondering about something, what are your feeling's about overworking the Ground Beef when adding seasoning?

Do you just sprinkle on the exterior of the meat or work well into the meat?

I know a few items mentioned would require a good mixing, how do you do this without damaging the texture of the grind????

Cack
12-07-2011, 10:24 AM
My Mom did em that way: excellent burger.

I did the above and also threw in some bacon and pepper jack cheese. Best burger I've ever eaten.

Cack
12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
If you mean mine. You throw the peppers and onions in as your begin to press the meat, and add your sauce and seasoning as you do it. There's really not much more handling than if you just pat out the burgers plain

TIMMAY
12-07-2011, 10:32 AM
One that I tried for kicks is to use the recipe for Len Poli's fresh garlic sausage only use it on your ground beef and omit the sugar. I crack some pepper over top during the cook. The first time I prepared burgers this way the guys were fighting over the last one! Well, pretty much every time I made those burgers they did the same thing...

EricF
12-07-2011, 10:54 AM
My standard burger is simply fresh chuck that I grind, a splash of worchestire sauce, a sprinkle of garlic powder, form my patties. Roll the edges of the patties in course fresh course ground black pepper. Then a light dusting of kosher salt on the top and bottom of the patty then grill.

Jazzed up burger; seed and vein two jalapeños then chop to semi course. Add some chedder cheese. Mix the peppers and cheese directly into the burger pat out into patties S & P the patty to your liking and grill.

landarc
12-07-2011, 02:33 PM
I like a blend of ground sirloin and ground chuck, around 1/3-2/3.

I then grate yellow onion (4T), grate garlic (1t), Fish Sauce (I use Red Boat, 4T), Braggs Amino Acids (2T) and medium grind black pepper (1/2t), dry sherry (6T) heat then cool and mix into the ground beef. I then rub with Simply Marvelous Season-all.

Harbormaster
12-07-2011, 02:38 PM
A couple tablespoons of "WOODY'S"® Cook-n' Sauce added to a pound or two of hamburger is pretty good. Gotta be careful though, it's a concentrate and pretty heavy with liquid smoke.

Gore
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I have done so many burgers, in so many different ways and they're most always chock full of flavor. It all depends on what you're in the mood for.

One trick my grandmother taught me was to use ground chuck and to add a tablespoon of sour cream. This doesn't add much to the flavor, but does keep them moist. The last ones I did with a heaping spoonful of ricotta stirred in. Those were very nice and got a couple thumbs up from the kids. You can season as you like after that.

jimmyinsd
12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
course ground black pepper
onion salt
garlic salt

we eat a lot of burgers so we recently bought a burger express press from weston. it definately speeds up the patty making process imo.

FrizzleFry
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
For fun get your self a Stufz burger press. The sky's the limit on what you can put inside it.

The Cosmic Pig
12-08-2011, 07:00 AM
My standard burger is simply fresh chuck that I grind, a splash of worchestire sauce, a sprinkle of garlic powder, form my patties. Roll the edges of the patties in course fresh course ground black pepper. Then a light dusting of kosher salt on the top and bottom of the patty then grill.

Jazzed up burger; seed and vein two jalapeños then chop to semi course. Add some chedder cheese. Mix the peppers and cheese directly into the burger pat out into patties S & P the patty to your liking and grill.

Now you're talkin'! Jazz mine up EVERY time! :thumb:

Pitbull
12-08-2011, 07:45 AM
A little red pepper, garlic salt and a very light sprinkle of dried oregano. Put in the frig for 30 minutes to an hour. Grill over mesquite! :thumb: