PDA

View Full Version : Re-heating Q

Brisket Flats
12-01-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm still new at smoking but have been asked by a friend to smoke some brisket, pork, and baby backs for Sunday. Being a pastor, I can't really get up early and cook all morning. So I'm going to have to smoke ahead of time and then warm it all up. I'll have 3 butts, 2 brisket flats, and 4 or so racks of ribs to heat up. So here are a few questions:

1) Do I pull the pork on the cook day or the eat day?
2) What about the brisket? Should I slice it after I smoke it? Or refrigerate it whole? Then do I slice it cold and warm it or warm it whole then slice it?
3) What oven temperature do I use to heat things up and how long will it take? Do I need to add water/moisture to the pans when warming?

Any re-heating advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pa_BBQ
12-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Cant answer all the questions because I eat everything fresh except butts.
Butts, you should pull after it rests an hour or so after cooking. Then vacuum seal and keep cool. You can boil in bag, or what I usually do is put it in a slow cooker with some apple juice and rub and warm it up.

Ribs and brisket I will let someone else chime in.

HBMTN
12-01-2011, 09:55 PM
1) Do I pull the pork on the cook day or the eat day?

Pull it on the cook day. Reheat covered with a little apple juice or water to 165 degrees.

2) What about the brisket? Should I slice it after I smoke it? Or refrigerate it whole? Then do I slice it cold and warm it or warm it whole then slice it?

All of these question will depend on if you can cool it down in an acceptable time period health wise. The size of flats you are looking to cook should be ok to stick in freezer and shock cold. Then refrigerate and I would reheat whole and then slice myself

3) What oven temperature do I use to heat things up and how long will it take? 325 degrees 1-2 hours check every 20 to 30 minutes after an hour Do I need to add water/moisture to the pans when warming? Yes and cover with foil tighly wrapped.

Brisket Flats
12-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Thanks to both of you. BIG help! Just what I was looking for.

Pa_BBQ
12-02-2011, 07:22 AM
HBMTN brings up a good point about cooling, it has to be done quick and with that much meat if you just threw it in your fridge or freezer could raise your temp in those to an unsafe zone.

When I cool a lot and need to cool here is what I do.

After I vacuum seal, I put them in an ice bath for a few minutes to drop the temp quickly then put in the fridge or freezer.

Brisket Flats
12-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Without a vacuum sealer, is my best bet a zip lock bag, wrapping it in cooking plastic film (or whatever its called - like Saran wrap, but better), or just putting it in a pan and covering with foil? The vacuum sealer is on my wish list, but haven't been able to spring for one yet.

Thanks for the help on the need to drop the temp quickly. I needed to hear that. I'd hate for my first gig to end with everyone puking.

If I wrapped it with plastic wrap good, could I just set them in an ice chest and cover with ice for a little while? Maybe have something that keeps them off the bottom so that water doesn't seep into the plastic after the ice starts melting?

Thanks again.