PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Smoker - First "Job"

Brisket Flats
12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I have only had my Lang 36" since Labor Day, '11. I've loved every minute of it, have put out some good Q, but also know I have a lot to learn. I always smoke more than I can eat so I can share with friends - that's 1/2 the fun for me. Well that's led to one friend asking me to provide the meat for a party this weekend. I told him I'd provide the labor if he'd just pay for the meat. There will be 35 adults/teenagers eating.

He requested brisket (flats only), ribs, and pork. I bought two flats today that are soaking overnight (6 & 7 lbs). I also have 3 butts (about 7 lbs ea.). Then I was planning on 3 racks of baby backs (though I have more in the freezer if I need them). I'm thinking that's more than enough meat for their crew, but I also want some for my family to munch on all week. Can anyone give me some guidance on how much of that will need to go to the party?

I'm sure I could have read through the forum and found some guidelines - I apologize for the laziness. I'm just had a little panic attack as I was preparing the meat getting ready for my smoke in the morning. Any help would be appreciated.

BigBobBQ
12-01-2011, 08:42 PM
with the briskets, and buts you have 34lbs uncooked and the baby backs are probably 2lbs so three of them gives another 6lbs so a total of 40lbs uncooked and that should yield 60% cooked to give you 24lbs and allowing for 1/2 lb per person you should be able to feed maybe 45 people with that amount with sides to go along with it. Someone else might chime in with more detailed info but that is what I usually estimate my meat on.

bizznessman
12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
with the briskets, and buts you have 34lbs uncooked and the baby backs are probably 2lbs so three of them gives another 6lbs so a total of 40lbs uncooked and that should yield 60% cooked to give you 24lbs and allowing for 1/2 lb per person you should be able to feed maybe 45 people with that amount with sides to go along with it. Someone else might chime in with more detailed info but that is what I usually estimate my meat on.

IMO BigBobBQ has hit the numbers right on. Sounds like a good plan with enough to go round. (watch out for those teenagers....they can be bottomless pits....:shocked:) :-D Let us know how it turns out!!

Brisket Flats
12-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Thank you, fellas. Glad to know I'm on the right track. I may go ahead and throw another rack or two of ribs on just to be safe. Obviously I have plenty of meat to feed them, but I want to keep a little of that pork for me so I may give them some more ribs.

Thanks again.

HBMTN
12-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Tell'em to remember the smoker runs on wood but the pitmaster runs on beer :becky:

Gowan
12-02-2011, 03:12 AM
Three racks of baby backs you have (maybe) 1 bone per person. I'd do at least six racks if it were me. Since you're not paying for the meat, better to leave the host with the extra than have him run short IMO.

Groundhog66
12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Three racks of baby backs you have (maybe) 1 bone per person. I'd do at least six racks if it were me. Since you're not paying for the meat, better to leave the host with the extra than have him run short IMO.

Agreed, 3 racks seems a bit shy for that many people.

Brisket Flats
12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Agreed, 3 racks seems a bit shy for that many people.

I have 6 racks in the fridge. I'll go ahead and throw them all on. I was planning on smoking all the meat today, but I don't have enough room to do the ribs at the same time I do the butts and briskets. So I'll do the ribs tomorrow. I may also throw some chicken quarters on for good measure.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Bluehawg
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I have 6 racks in the fridge. I'll go ahead and throw them all on. I was planning on smoking all the meat today, but I don't have enough room to do the ribs at the same time I do the butts and briskets. So I'll do the ribs tomorrow. I may also throw some chicken quarters on for good measure.

Thanks again for the guidance.
chicken is always a good "cheap" filler meat:becky: AND you will likely have some of the teeny bopper chicks that think it is not kewl to eat a cute baby pig so they may not touch the pork.

Exception to that rule would be if you lived round here... These chicks in these hollows are like T-Rex's when it comes to pork and beef... Some can eat more than the guys and never be any bigger'n a minute.

manvsgrills
12-02-2011, 06:03 PM

I agree with this statement. I would always err on the too much side. Usually, I would take how many people and multiply by 3/4 to 1 lb per person. I know that seems like a lot, but if you have good Que, people are gonna eat. You can always freeze extras if you have them. Even using those large numbers, I rarely had a lot of leftovers. It mainly depends on the type of meal. Is it buffet? or plated? and do they get extra servings if they want them. If it is a plated meal, then you can lean toward the 1/2 lb per person. Here again, this is just my opinion and how I liked to do things when I catered.

Tritonman
12-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I was told by a friend one time that does catering, that when at parties where the guests are drinking they actually eat less. Non drinking events will average more. I have started watching this and he's actually spot on. i have started asking now when quoting prices.

Bbq Bubba
12-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I suggest you ask your buddy what HE wants as far as portions.

You have enough brisket to feed only 21 people at 1/3 lb.
You have just enough pork to feed 34 with 0 leftovers.
You show up at a party of 35 with 3 racks of ribs, your a deadman.
Figure 3 bones per guest which is 9 racks.

southernstyle
12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I suggest you ask your buddy what HE wants as far as portions.

You have enough brisket to feed only 21 people at 1/3 lb.
You have just enough pork to feed 34 with 0 leftovers.
You show up at a party of 35 with 3 racks of ribs, your a deadman.
Figure 3 bones per guest which is 9 racks.

this is the closest so far. better off with 2 more flats leave the pork and 9 slabs. some sides would be your best friend right now

Fishhook
12-10-2011, 06:08 AM
So how did it come out?

SteevieG
12-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Bettin' it didn't go well, or he'd be here telling us all about it. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.