PDA

View Full Version : Rubber gloves

ericl23
11-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I recently purchased some rubber gloves online and noticed that they smell like petroleum or some type of oil based product. I tried soaking them in water with Dawn for a few days but they still smell. I don't want that smell to get on the food. Any idea how to get rid of that smell?

Thanks

Eric

caseydog
11-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Are these disposable gloves? Form your description, I'm guessing not.

If they are not, soak them in water and baking soda.

I use disposable nitrile gloves for most things requiring rubber gloves. But, they aren't very good for really hot meats.

Anyway, water and baking soda should help. It may take a few rounds, replacing the water and baking soda mixture.

Good luck?

CD

Pappy
11-29-2011, 07:37 PM
What kind of gloves were they? Are gloves made for BBQ?

ericl23
11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Casey

They are the gloves made for handling hot food specifically pulled pork. I will try with baking soda.

Thanks

Eric

Militant83
11-30-2011, 12:50 PM
If you have the same ones that I have the thick grey rubber gloves that were made for handling hot meat. Dawn dish soap worked well for me I have used them numerous times and havent had any issues with the meat tasing funny. Mine still have a faint scent to them but I think thats just the smell of the rubber and it wont completely go away.

chicagokp
11-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I have these...they work great.

http://www.simplymarvelousbbq.com/gloves

kihrer
11-30-2011, 03:16 PM
If you have the same ones that I have the thick grey rubber gloves that were made for handling hot meat. Dawn dish soap worked well for me I have used them numerous times and havent had any issues with the meat tasing funny. Mine still have a faint scent to them but I think thats just the smell of the rubber and it wont completely go away.

I have these too but they aren't so good for fine motor skills. I have seen some guys use cotton gloves with surgical gloves on top of them. I haven't tried it cause the box of Nitrix gloves (Walmart) I use barely fit over my hand as it is and they say large/xtra large. I definitely need to find a better food handling glove.

Militant83
11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
I have these too but they aren't so good for fine motor skills. I have seen some guys use cotton gloves with surgical gloves on top of them. I haven't tried it cause the box of Nitrix gloves (Walmart) I use barely fit over my hand as it is and they say large/xtra large. I definitely need to find a better food handling glove.

Yeah the dextarity deffinitely sucks in them.. But it beat scaulding my hands when I was pulling pork.

Hoosier1960
11-30-2011, 08:05 PM
I found the masons rubber gloves work great. I first started using them witha pair of brown jersey gloves inside for picking up duck decoys in cold weather. They stay very pliable, have a textured nonslip surface, and are large enough for even the biggest hands. I recently tried a pair for pulling pork and they worked great. Brown jersey gloves inside again for extra insulation from the heat. I think they were less than 10 bucks.

Wampus
11-30-2011, 08:08 PM

I have TWO pair of those very gloves. Those things are farkin AWESOME!
I don't even bother with my bear paws anymore. Just use those gloves. Also use them for flipping/moving meats around on the smoker!

Coldholler
11-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Totally getting those. Dishwashing gloves for pulling pork rock.

HB-BBQ
11-30-2011, 09:07 PM

I have TWO pair of those very gloves. Those things are farkin AWESOME!
I don't even bother with my bear paws anymore. Just use those gloves. Also use them for flipping/moving meats around on the smoker!:thumb: I have a few pairs of these myself and use them the same way, they are quite versatile. Great place to get em from too!

Eric I've run across that smell on many PVC different gloves I have seen over the years. I wouldn't worry about it much as long as they are food grade and you wash them a few times.

ericl23
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
thanks for the input everyone. I am going to try the gloves out this weekend. I'll post an update.

Frankbbq
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
WW Grainger sells a hot/cold glove that works for pulling pork and breaking down whole hogs. They are neoprene and used to say USDA approved. They are insulated.

DVBBQ
12-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I second the neoprene. Just clean em right after use.

smokingj
12-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Hmmmmmmm............I use full finger, leather bicycling gloves with the food handlers rubber gloves over top. The bicycling gloves have double leather on the palm and underside of fingers, double stitched seams and fit snugly so you have great mobility. Plus they look cool on ya as well :thumb: