PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way around getting RD membership?

nrok2118
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I see lots of people on this forum use RD for meat, but it says you need to have a business permit to get a membership. Hows everyone shop there?

kihrer
11-29-2011, 11:07 AM
You can get day passes if you area KCBS member. Just go to the KCBS site and print out the RD page.

gtr
11-29-2011, 11:09 AM
You can join KCBS and can get a day pass through them. You just print and take instructions that KCBS has on their website to the person at the front of the store and show them your card and they'll give you a day pass.

Jaskew82
11-29-2011, 11:36 AM
OR you can do what I did. Create a business for 'catering' and receive a TAX ID from the US Government (free). Use that Tax ID to get a membership.

There is no charge for creating a tax ID and it is instant. Additionally, you will have no gains or losses to report since it is for a business that is not operating.

Carbon
11-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I wonder if I can use my CA seller's permit from an unrelated business I operate to access membership. I believe RD requires you to have a seller's permit (for non-taxable resale) to join.

Big Ace
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I wonder if I can use my CA seller's permit from an unrelated business I operate to access membership. I believe RD requires you to have a seller's permit (for non-taxable resale) to join.

You should be able to.

From the RD website:

Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.

No mention of "food" specific business or organization.

Jaskew82
11-29-2011, 12:41 PM
You should be able to.

From the RD website:

No mention of "food" specific business or organization.

I didn't even need to show anything. I just provided my Tax ID # and they gave me a membership. No other questions asked.

Hozman
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
How do their prices compare to COSTCO or Sam's Club?

Jaskew82
11-29-2011, 01:06 PM
How do their prices compare to COSTCO or Sam's Club?

If you are able to buy in large amounts - the prices are typically (in my area) around 30% lower. Sometimes more like 20%.

For example, my costco has spares at $2.50 - $2.99lb. RD has them at $1.97 or less.

EDIT: And by large amounts, I mean 4 racks at a time (21lbs or so).

scp
11-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Just chum up with anyone who has any kind of business...go in with them and their business license and you both can get a membership.

Trumpstylz
11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Just curious- what is RD?

nrok2118
11-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Restaurant Depot

Saiko
11-29-2011, 05:59 PM
I got lucky as hell and when I first presented the KCBS printout for a day pass, she accidentally gave me a full fledged RD card. She realized her mistake, and then said, "oh well, just keep it".
I have been clinging to it ever since!

boatnut
11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I have tax ID and workers comp certificate relating to my concrete biz. I took that down and got a membership with no prob. Like other suggested, if you have a friend with a biz, talk them into joining and get a membership for you as well.

TIMMAY
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I got lucky as hell and when I first presented the KCBS printout for a day pass, she accidentally gave me a full fledged RD card. She realized her mistake, and then said, "oh well, just keep it".

*WINNING* :thumb:

bri134
11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
OR you can do what I did. Create a business for 'catering' and receive a TAX ID from the US Government (free). Use that Tax ID to get a membership.

There is no charge for creating a tax ID and it is instant. Additionally, you will have no gains or losses to report since it is for a business that is not operating.

This is genius. Thanks for the tip, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to get a RD membership that did not leave me feeling conflicted (like saying I was buying on behalf of my church or something). Took less than 2 minutes start to finish.

Thank you thank you thank you. :thumb:

Carbon
11-29-2011, 09:33 PM
^^^ But once you're assigned a Fed tax ID aren't you required to file a return for that "phantom" business, regardless?

Smiter Q
11-29-2011, 09:45 PM
^^^ But once you're assigned a Fed tax ID aren't you required to file a return for that "phantom" business, regardless?

Wondering the same. Thought I read on this forum some folks did not file for it was zero income, and had to pay BIG fines for not doing so.

posey's_pork_pit
11-30-2011, 06:03 AM
Wondering the same. Thought I read on this forum some folks did not file for it was zero income, and had to pay BIG fines for not doing so.

Not to highjack but..........
You are only required to file a tax return if you applied for the EIN as a LLC, limited liability corporation, ie: partnership. The nonfiling fine is $600 per partner. Simply file a 1065 with 0s in all the right places and check the final return box and you are good to go. Better still, don't apply for an EIN as a partnership!

If you applied as a sole proprietor, you are not required to file a tax return, Form 1040, unless you earn $400 or more. That is when the self-employment tax, ie: Social Security, kicks in. Yes, that's a regular tax return using your social security number, not your EIN. As a sole proprietor, you would use the EIN to file tax returns for payroll, excise, or ATF. Therefore, if you do not have these or other requirements, no tax return is necessary. There is no such thing as a sole proprietor tax return like there is a partnership return.

Hope this helps ~ BTW, I was a collection agent for the IRS in a former life. :becky:

Jaskew82
11-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Not to highjack but..........
You are only required to file a tax return if you applied for the EIN as a LLC, limited liability corporation, ie: partnership. The nonfiling fine is $600 per partner. Simply file a 1065 with 0s in all the right places and check the final return box and you are good to go. Better still, don't apply for an EIN as a partnership!

If you applied as a sole proprietor, you are not required to file a tax return, Form 1040, unless you earn $400 or more. That is when the self-employment tax, ie: Social Security, kicks in. Yes, that's a regular tax return using your social security number, not your EIN. As a sole proprietor, you would use the EIN to file tax returns for payroll, excise, or ATF. Therefore, if you do not have these or other requirements, no tax return is necessary. There is no such thing as a sole proprietor tax return like there is a partnership return.

Hope this helps ~ BTW, I was a collection agent for the IRS in a former life. :becky:

Thanks!

DirtyDirty00
11-30-2011, 08:15 AM
i joined KCBS to get in. $35 a year.

BUT I WILL SAY...

i have yet to even use it. i go to RD all the time. i go up to the desk and i say "i need a day pass" i have all my KCBS stuff with me, but they never even look at it. they r too lazy. they just hand me the guest book, i fill it out (squiggles of corse) and they just hand me my day pass slip.

Divemaster
11-30-2011, 08:56 AM

I have a friend that owns a bakery and he gave me one of his cards that I used for about a year. I just got tired of hearing "Wow, all that meat for a bakery?"

So when KCBS came out with their offer, I jumped at it. I was there the first day and they too gave me a full membership card.

Now when I walk in and scan it I hear "Wow, you shop all over the place. Just a reminder, no more cards for your company."

Not a problem... lol

Ashmont
11-30-2011, 09:07 AM
I got mine through our church! I cook for the Mens club and other occasions there. Not for profit to boot.

sincitydisciple01
11-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Friend of a friend of a friend...!

brog315
11-30-2011, 10:52 AM

You only needed the tax ID to obtain a membership? The RD webpage says:
on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization

Do you need to also get a business license to go along with the Tax ID?? Currently, I use my KCBS membership to get a day pass. However, down here in Houston, the store has not heard of the KCBS and the past couple of visits it took quite a bit a time to get someone to finally get me a day pass.

DirtyDirty00
11-30-2011, 10:55 AM
You only needed the tax ID to obtain a membership? The RD webpage says:
on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization

Do you need to also get a business license to go along with the Tax ID?? Currently, I use my KCBS membership to get a day pass. However, down here in Houston, the store has not heard of the KCBS and the past couple of visits it took quite a bit a time to get someone to finally get me a day pass.

thats surprising. like is said the workers here have no idea what KCBS is bc they never have once even looked at my paper or ID card :laugh::laugh::laugh: